EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Jan 2017, 07:22 PM   #1
edu

Mobile interface without javascript

Now that Classic FM is going to dissapear, I think FM should think to offer a simple interface without javascript, useful to work and consume less data with mobile devices. Something like Hushmail does even with 2FA (hushmail.com/m). Is it very difficult?, I don't think it will need a lot of updates or something like that. Please FM, think about it. Thanks.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:18 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Don't forget that you can probably find an email client for your computer or device setup. I'm pretty sure that's the best way to get email with the lowest possible bandwidth. If you have no new mail, no messages need to be transferred to the client. I doubt that Fastmail would put much effort into supporting old devices or very slow data services, since those same old devices are typically not capable of providing secure connections to current standards. I just took a 5 year old iPhone 4S out of service and replaced it with an iPhone 7 Plus. That old device was fully capable of doing a very good job using the Fastmail iOS client or native Apple iOS Mail client.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2017, 12:23 PM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

The issue with supporting multiple user interfaces is not so much the maintenance of the front end. The biggest issue is that, unless willing to accept inefficiencies, there needs to be a fairly close integration between the front end and the back end code. As the back end changes, corresponding changes are needed in all the interfaces between the font ends and the back end. Further, security holes can exist that affect any of the interfaces, and finding and fixing them can be time consuming, as well as an additional risk to the whole infrastructure.

Those wanting a very basic interface are better finding one not supplied by Fastmail, and accepting the inevitable slower experience.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Bamb0
Master of the @

Finding one W/O JAVASCRIPT is better as its faster and safer!! (Its not good to be forced to have javascript enabled)

People want people to have javascript enabled so they can have more control over them and other bad things!!

http://www.leaseweb.com/labs/2013/07...ing-javascript

Last edited by Bamb0 : 14 Jan 2017 at 07:05 PM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2017, 09:09 PM   #5
edu

I don't use javascript with my browser and I don't want to use it when I must check my email. And I can't use an email client in my job. Soon I will avoid a smartphone, so... Well, I understand the answers and maybe I am a strange case and so when we are few people no company will listen to us and the future clients like me
Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:04 PM   #6
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Finding one W/O JAVASCRIPT is better as its faster and safer!! (Its not good to be forced to have javascript enabled)

People want people to have javascript enabled so they can have more control over them and other bad things!!

I agree completely. Check for example this website with and without javascript:
http://webkay.robinlinus.com/
Old 15 Jan 2017, 12:54 AM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post

If you are using a 10-year-old browser, you definitely want JavaScript turned off. In that situation, you are correct that there are both security and performance reasons for having it disabled. Over the last decade, huge investments have been made in enhancing the safety and speed of JavaScript. Appropriate use of JavaScript leads to a faster interface, not a slower one. The reason is that it allows updates to be loaded in the background without the need for server round trips.

I doubt you will accept this, and you cannot demonstrate it to yourself unless you have a system no more than about 2-3 years old. Suffice to say, when you have access to a modern browser, look at how Google Search works compared to with an ancient version. Most of the time, as you are typing the search phrase, you will be prompted with likely completions. If you continue typing, the search results are typically already displayed before you even finish typing your search phrase. Without background loading using JavaScript, you must finish typing, press enter and wait for the results to be sent. The same principles apply with other, well designed, modern web interfaces. Getting them right is not easy, but good developers can produce a more responsive interface.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu
I agree completely. Check for example this website with and without javascript:
http://webkay.robinlinus.com/
Yea...Without scripts enabled that page didnt tell me anything! (And it doesnt matter what browser 1 is on BRIT .. Javascript IS NOT GOOD)

EDIT:

I enabled them and it only told me my browser (IE 6.0) and my CPU (Win32) for Operating System it said "Undefined"
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2017, 04:22 PM   #9
paul29

I agree with a no-JS interface and don't see why it has to be maintained in parallel with the back end. It can be a plain IMAP client like Horde, Squirrelmail, Roundcube, Rainloop, etc. As long as the backend offers IMAP they should be fine.

Some (all?) of those do use JS of course. But there must be some out there that don't. Anyone know?

The only smartphone I currently ever (and that only rarely) use is a 2009 vintage Nokia N900, if anyone knows what that is. My voice phone doesn't have any data plan and its browser is minimal (Nokia E63, looks like an old Blackberry).
paul29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2017, 06:09 PM   #10
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul29 View Post
I agree with a no-JS interface and don't see why it has to be maintained in parallel with the back end. It can be a plain IMAP client like Horde, Squirrelmail, Roundcube, Rainloop, etc. As long as the backend offers IMAP they should be fine.

Some (all?) of those do use JS of course. But there must be some out there that don't. Anyone know?

The only smartphone I currently ever (and that only rarely) use is a 2009 vintage Nokia N900, if anyone knows what that is. My voice phone doesn't have any data plan and its browser is minimal (Nokia E63, looks like an old Blackberry).
Yes!, exactly what I mean. If many people out there are looking for an email company offering an interface without javascript and it's easy with Horde and Squirrelmail, why not?...
I know hushmail.com/m, riseup.net, eumx.net, vfemail.net, and if you use Tor only: mail2tor.com