EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Feb 2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Drencrom
Master of the @

Multiple auto logins in the same browser

Hi, everyone! Here is my problem. I have two FastMail accounts - Enhanced and Ad free. And I remember the time years ago when I was able to use auto login for multiple accounts in the same browser, using different domains. Now, however, I can use only one auto login. When I create the second auto login for my other account in the same browser using a different domain, the first saved link starts logging me into the second one as well. So, if I want to have a second auto login I need to create it in the other browser. At first I thought this was a Firefox issue but now I realize it works the same way in different browsers. Looks like there is only one FM cookie you can have. Does anyone know the way around it? That is having two saved auto logins for two different FM accounts in the same web browser.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Mar 2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

If your logins are in different domains, you can store auto-login cookies for both by logging in through the Fastmail page for each of those domains (i.e. mail.domain1.tld and mail.domain2.tld). Cookies are stored and referenced by hostname, so you should be able to setup auto-logins for each of FM's domains, as well as any you have hosted through FM.

Another option would be to use a secure keystore, such as LastPass or 1Password, to store the credentials for each of your logins. I generally recommend LastPass, as it's got better multiplatform support, and the annual $12 cost for a Premium account (should you opt to; it's not required unless you need mobile access) is much less than 1Password's per-platform fees. KeePass is a free and open-source, multiplatform solution, but I have no experience with it myself.

Last edited by Mystakill : 1 Mar 2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Added secure keystore info
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2012, 02:55 AM   #3
Drencrom
Master of the @

Thank you for the info, Mystakill! I use KeePass and I will give LastPass a try. However, the issue with being unable to have multiple FM auto logins in the same web browser without using additional services remains. Have you tried to replicate my problem the way I described it?
Old 1 Mar 2012, 03:51 AM   #4
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drencrom View Post
Have you tried to replicate my problem the way I described it?
I have not, because I generally rely on LastPass to store & populate my login forms for me. I work in an environment in which I wouldn't trust my credentials to be stored in a cookie for anything longer than an active session. At home, I use Thunderbird with the Virtual Identity extension, so I don't have a need for auto-logins there either.

You should still be able to store auto-login information for multiple domains, unless FM recently changed the way they handle those cookies. I'm surprised that nobody else has responded to this thread though, as I'm sure quite a few others are using auto-logins as well.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2012, 04:59 AM   #5
Bahb
Essential Contributor

I have the same problem , can't auto log-in to two different accounts on one computer. Both are fastmail.fm accounts. A minor irritation in the scheme of things, I guess. I'll put my larger irritation on a new thread. :-)
Bahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2012, 12:52 AM   #6
PhiloVance
Essential Contributor

Heh, I have the same problem only not with fastmail. We (wife and I) have accounts at the same bank. Their logon procedure is tricky as they have a special word (stated by you) that must appear before you can log on correctly. Well, you can see how that worked with two accounts. What I did is use another browser for her account. Works great. There are a number to choose from:

FF, IE, Safari, Chrome, Opera and K-Meleon. Probably others too.
PhiloVance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2012, 04:43 AM   #7
Drencrom
Master of the @

Multiple auto logins in the same browser do not work even if the second one is created with my own domain hosted at FastMail (e.g. http://mail.mydomain.net). It works for a short while and then things revert back to "normal". FM staff, any comments?