EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 22 Mar 2020, 05:48 AM   #1
shu246

Claws-mail - in what file are POP emails stored?

Trying to set up Claws-mail client, in both Win10 and Linux (Lubuntu, Debian). Have it working with my several gmail accounts as POP3. If I understand correctly, Claws stores emails as individual plain text files. Where are they stored?

More particularly: I backup between machines in the LAN, and to offsite, using rsync scripts. What folders should I copy to include my emails?

Have been looking in Win10 under C:/Users/me/AppData/Roaming/Claws-mail/ but no joy. Likewise in Linux under /home/me/.claws-mail/

Thank in advance - shu
shu246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Mar 2020, 07:46 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

You should probably join the claws users mail list. Not only can you ask specific questions there, but you'll see discussions of how to achieve things that are not always all that obvious.

Subscribe at: https://lists.claws-mail.org/cgi-bin...listinfo/users
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2020, 02:31 AM   #3
shu246

Thanks JNicoll. Stumbled around looking for a Claws Users Forum before giving up and posting here. Looks to be different format from the usual vBulletin type, but should yield up the answer. Learning is fun.

And retro- is good. Leads to better understanding of the fundamentals. Single program for each purpose, and keep it simple. 'Swhy I picked Claws to replace Tbird. Mutt was too much to grasp without having grown up with it.

- shu
shu246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2020, 05:55 PM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu246 View Post
Thanks JNicoll. Stumbled around looking for a Claws Users Forum before giving up and posting here. Looks to be different format from the usual vBulletin type, but should yield up the answer.

- shu
Glad to have been able to help.

Mail-lists are an older concept (predating the www) than forums. The information webpage I directed you (although a webpage itself) is just giving you information, letting you subscribe, and (via a link near the top of the page) telling you where you can find the archive of previous posts to the list and is (apart from the interface to viewing the archive) the only aspect that's available on the web. In the past subscribe/unsubscribe and access to the archive didn't use the yet-to-be-invented www.

A mail list is a simple idea; subscribers send mails to a central list server, and it sends copies to everyone who is subscribed. When anyone replies to such a message, they reply to the server which sends copies of that out to everyone else.

A big advantage compared with forums is that you don't need to visit each forum to see what everyone else is discussing - the mails are just sent to you. If you're subscribed to tens or hundreds of lists that's a whole lot easier to cope with than having to visit so many forums.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 04:38 PM   #5
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm a Claws Mail user.

On a Linux system the will be store in ~/Mail/ by default.

On Windows 10 C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mail by default.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2020, 09:22 PM   #6
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

There's already been a thread on this in the claws-mail list.

This and many other lists can be read, without subscribing, by creating an NNTP account in claws-mail for the server news.gmane.io - no username/password is needed. The group is gmane.mail.sylpheed.claws.general.

I don't know if it still works, but it used to be possible to post as well - the first post requiring an email confirmation of the from address.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2020, 07:04 PM   #7
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
This and many other lists can be read, without subscribing, by creating an NNTP account in claws-mail for the server news.gmane.io - no username/password is needed. The group is gmane.mail.sylpheed.claws.general.

I don't know if it still works, but it used to be possible to post as well - the first post requiring an email confirmation of the from address.
That's interesting. It's worth reading the wikipedia description of gmane - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmane - to find out a little more.