EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Jan 2024, 07:34 AM   #1
taras

Open received message in separate window?

I'd like to be able to 'pop out' an email from the Fastmail web UI, the same way clicking the ↗ arrow at the top right of Gmail messages pops *just the message* out in a new window.

I'm probably missing something very obvious but I spent a good 5 mins searching the UI for how to do it, then another 5 mins searching the help.
taras is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Jan 2024, 12:48 PM   #2
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taras View Post
I'd like to be able to 'pop out' an email from the Fastmail web UI, the same way clicking the ↗ arrow at the top right of Gmail messages pops *just the message* out in a new window.

I'm probably missing something very obvious but I spent a good 5 mins searching the UI for how to do it, then another 5 mins searching the help.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're seeking, but... When I review my FM inbox in the web UI, when I click on a message to open it, I make sure to hold down Command (I'm on a Mac) before clicking. This opens the message into a new tab of my browser. (I think there may be a browser setting to make that a new window if I want, but I prefer tab.)
DumbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2024, 02:55 PM   #3
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

In Windows, it will pop out into a new tab if you hold down Ctrl. If you want a new window, then hold the shift key down.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2024, 06:00 PM   #4
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenman View Post
In Windows, it will pop out into a new tab if you hold down Ctrl. If you want a new window, then hold the shift key down.
Or you can right click and choose "open in new tab" or "open in new window" (or, if you're already reading the message, you can choose "duplicate" to have it in a separate tab).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2024, 04:07 AM   #5
taras

Thanks for the replies.

On my machine (macOS, Chrome) using a modifier key just opens a dupicate window, i.e. it still has the folders list, the message list, and the message itself.

I am just looking for a window with the email message on its own, like Gmail does.

The reason I need this in the first place is that Fastmail doesn't resize in a way that prioritises the message. This came about because I wanted to refer to the contents of an email while working in another app, but when I tiled FM to half the screen it became unusable.

Again, I may be missing something fundamental or have changed a setting somewhere...

(By the way, I'm only using Gmail as an easy example, I've been an FM user for many years)
taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2024, 04:15 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

The truth is that quite often I encounter messages that are too big to be shown in Fastmail's window, so I see only half of every line (and that's on full screen on the desltop computer). The fault is probably the sender's software, but it's a pain that FastMail doesn't provide an easy way to get around this. Actually often there's a lot of whitespace on the screen because FastMail's interface limits the message width to less than what's available in the browser window.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote