EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Sep 2016, 03:48 AM   #1
Indy

Please help me with my workflow

I have a main view (saved search) that shows all unread emails. My workflow is that I want to be able to read or glance at these emails, eventually act (reply, delete, etc.) on them and at that point I mark them read so they disappear from my main view.

This sort of works but Fastmail's auto marking of emails as read makes it unworkable - I either have to remember to make sure the dot is blue or (more likely) I realize as I navigate away that is was auto-marked as read and I have to go find it and set it to unread.

I then thought I could move to using the pin as my flag (and change my to view to all pinned emails) - but (as discussed in another thread) it is impossible to set up a filter to pin all incoming email (because I use plus addressing for one of my domains).

Does anyone else have a similar workflow? How did you work around Fastmail auto marking emails as read?

Thanks,
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Sep 2016, 08:08 AM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Why not set up a few extra folders, when you have read the email then file it to one of your folders.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Indy

Thanks Terry for the suggestion. I'm not sure that would help.

Currently 50% of my new email hits the Inbox, the other %50 is sorted into folders automatically via plus addressing. So I need a view (saved search) that will show all new email that I haven't acted upon.

It seems like the sorting of plus addressed emails happens first and their is no way to alter them with custom scripts.

The read/unread flag of course is what I should be using but the 'auto' marking of emails as read is the problem.

Thanks again,
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes it makes it hard when there is no flag.
I thought one you had read it it could be moved to sub folder name-read emails, buy yes a lot of work.

Perhaps try reading you mail outlook surly you would get the not read flag then.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2016, 08:44 PM   #5
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Not an answer to your question, but just a general observation:

It's because of issues like this that some people still prefer to use an e-mail client to manage their mail. Most clients offer a level of flexibility and the ability to fine-tune settings far beyond that available in even the best web interfaces (like FastMail's). That flexibility includes things like choosing whether you want your mail to automatically be marked as read or whether you prefer to do it yourself, once you are finished dealing with the message.

Now a possible partial workaround for your issue:

Have you considered setting up a "To Do" folder and moving all new messages there? You can leave the messages in that folder until you are finished with them, then archive them with a single keystroke or move them to some other "final resting place" with a couple of keystrokes. I've used set-ups something like this in the past, and after a day or two of getting used to them, they work quite well.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote