EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Setting up/running an email service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Setting up/running an email service If you're setting up an email service from scratch, or running one, exchange ideas and tips with other Webmasters here...

Old 19 Jul 2011, 11:05 PM   #136
valmar

I created a similar but more sophisticated web email client that you might want to check out: www.smampi.com (Free to use)

Also available as an app for Google Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...akhbhffcncehfo

Edit: Sorry for bumping the old thread. - Didn't want to create a new one so I thought my post would fit in here pretty well.

Last edited by valmar : 20 Jul 2011 at 07:38 PM.
valmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2011, 11:22 AM   #137
Sherry

[Moderator:]

valmar, would you please send a PM to Edwin to see if you should be given Service Representative status. Thank you.

Welcome to the EMD Forums
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2011, 06:36 PM   #138
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

^ Given the age of the two threads he's revived, valmar should at least be given Thread Necromancer status.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2011, 07:36 PM   #139
valmar

Ahahahaha, I'm terribly sorry.
I didn't see that the thread is that old :-)

I should've created a new one, I guess. - Just thought that my post would fit pretty well into this thread since it related to it.

- The Necromancer
Old 22 Jul 2011, 05:25 PM   #140
rblon
Essential Contributor

Using a "web based email client" seems to me a bit of a security no-go, as I guess you have to provide the login details of your email account.
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2011, 10:13 PM   #141
valmar

Yes, that's correct.
You must enter your email login data to use this kind of service.
However, the data itself is stored safely encrypted to the Smampi database.
If you don't trust these kind of services, this web application probably is nothing for you.
Nowadays though, in the times of Facebook and such, where everyone seems to move their data "into the cloud" (e.g. "friend finder"), most people do not seem to have a problem with that.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 11:55 PM   #142
rblon
Essential Contributor

Indeed, I wouldn't advise people to use "friends finder". Even then, I do think there is a difference between giving your email account credentials to Facebook or to Smampi. The fact that you encrypt (and decrypt...) these details doesn't really matter in this respect.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 12:00 AM   #143
valmar

Well, it does matter if the web app ever gets hacked and the database content stolen.

Regarding privacy, you're right. If I wanted, I could easily decrypt the passwords (which I don't - as stated in the terms and and condictions - as well as the privacy policy).
(Besides that there is no reason why I should do that).

However, In early stages of development, I had plans to work around this by encrypting the login data with the user's Smampi account password. That way, only the user himself would be able to decrypt the login data since he is the only one who knows his Smampi account password (which is being stored as a SHA-256 hash to the database).

The downside of this approach was that once a user uses the password recovery function (which generates a new Smampi account password for him/her), all the encrypted login data becomes invalid and the user will have to re-enter them.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 12:33 AM   #144
rblon
Essential Contributor

I can think of many reasons why a certain group of people want to access other peoples email box. Going from semi-legal to outright illegal. The problem here is trust.

I see your reasoning regarding encrypting using the password, but this doesn't solve the trust problem.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 01:10 AM   #145
valmar

Yes, you're absolutely right.
Either you trust this service or not.
Quite simple :-)