EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 6 Jul 2012, 05:31 AM   #1
pr472

No more igoogle

I just saw this:

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Google is phasing out a service that allows millions of people to personalize its home page with applications such as weather updates and stock quotes.

The customization service, known as iGoogle, will be turned off in November 2013. The mobile version of iGoogle will be discontinued at the end of this month.

Google Inc. disclosed its plans this week. It's being swept out as part of a periodic housecleaning that has seen Google scrap more than 30 products since co-founder Larry Page became CEO 15 months ago.

This is exactly why I won't use google services. Google is unreliable. They take away services like notebook, googlepages, and now igoogle. Why bother investing time in using their services, when they will be gone later on ?
pr472 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Jul 2012, 05:36 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr472 View Post
This is exactly why I won't use google services
I'm sure this will scare Messrs Page and Brin stiff.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2012, 07:26 AM   #3
debwqwe

google phases you out

I came to this site because I am freaked out that I can not access my Google account and it isn't the first time, although I don't know how I will get back in to it at this time. I am on vacation and it has seen all my different logins as suspicious and locked my account. My phone, which I NEVER wanted linked to my gmail account isn't working and its use is the only way around the block. I don't get home for a month and I'm cut off from everything I stored in my email account so i'd have it. Privacy commissioner is going to hear about this one. I can't download apps, get on to reader, or do anything, and all my contact info to email everyone is in gmail. I am looking for alternative services as this is so far over the top unacceptable.
debwqwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2012, 07:56 AM   #4
pr472

What a strange comment.

Quote:
I'm sure this will scare Messrs Page and Brin stiff.

What does that have to do with anything ?
pr472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2012, 09:25 AM   #5
davy51
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by debwqwe View Post
I came to this site because I am freaked out that I can not access my Google account and it isn't the first time, although I don't know how I will get back in to it at this time. I am on vacation and it has seen all my different logins as suspicious and locked my account. My phone, which I NEVER wanted linked to my gmail account isn't working and its use is the only way around the block. I don't get home for a month and I'm cut off from everything I stored in my email account so i'd have it. Privacy commissioner is going to hear about this one. I can't download apps, get on to reader, or do anything, and all my contact info to email everyone is in gmail. I am looking for alternative services as this is so far over the top unacceptable.

Click on cant access your account

It allows a couple ways other than phone to get back in

you can use the computer your on now to do it
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2012, 03:12 PM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy51 View Post
you can use the computer your on now to do it
Reading between the lines he/she's using a smartphone or similar?

It appears that to put one's eggs all in one basket ("I'm cut off from everything I stored in my email account so i'd have it") but then don't trust the company to have your phone number has been unfortunate.

Think primary, secondary.

On my recent vacation, I had my netbook, separate USB flash drive, data in the cloud - so that all data is available should one option fail me.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2012, 09:43 PM   #7
davy51
Master of the @

gmail now allows yyou to enter a number with the code to get back in or change a password

It works for any phone including a pay phone or they can send an email to another account
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2012, 02:20 PM   #8
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
IThis is exactly why I won't use google services. Google is unreliable. They take away services like notebook, googlepages, and now igoogle. Why bother investing time in using their services, when they will be gone later on ?
So if you won't use Google services, why is this an issue?

Why does this make them unreliable? There reasoning seems reasonable. I took one look at iGoogle a while back, never really saw any use for it.

Here is what Google has to say. What's happening to iGoogle? - Web Search Help
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2012, 11:01 PM   #9
kolkok

This is sad because I used to work with it. I used it when I buy some clothes from online shops - mostly from this one - http://deportedirecto.es/products.ph...52d42402818%29. I used igoogle for some other sites of mine like - this one for similar movies and this one for own business - www.freemlm.net. Another site is this one for Franchising that I used to read with Igoogle. When you want to search better in Internet you can try http://napred.bg which is new search engine.

Last edited by kolkok : 2 May 2013 at 06:16 PM.
kolkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2012, 03:54 AM   #10
ibcsweb
Cornerstone of the Community

IGoogle

Quote:
I just saw this:

This is exactly why I won't use google services. Google is unreliable. They take away services like notebook, googlepages, and now igoogle. Why bother investing time in using their services, when they will be gone later on ?
I used to like being able to open my browser and have have all the most important data right there infront of me. Email calendar, tasks etc laid out in the order I preferred. I spent some time setting it up with preferences etc only to find out 2 days latter it was due for removal. At least they gave a good period of notice. Still...
ibcsweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2012, 05:40 AM   #11
mister
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by debwqwe View Post

Same thing happened to me.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2012, 05:41 AM   #12
mister
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy51 View Post
gmail now allows yyou to enter a number with the code to get back in or change a password

It works for any phone including a pay phone or they can send an email to another account
You can't get incoming calls at payphones in NA anymore(probably worldwide)
When this happened to me they only allowed phone contact no email.BTW it worked out OK but
it was nerve racking,sure hope it doesn't happen to anyone else here.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote