EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Nov 2012, 11:59 AM   #91
zidium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac'd View Post
for a workover of this magnitude, exceptions are demanded and people need to sacrifice. the power crews in the eastern 1/3 of the u.s. understand this today and will team together working ridiculous hours for the next week cleaning up after hurricane sandy. fm had even more warning than they did..hell they planned and tested this upgrade?

the message boards are showing the results of it all falling on just you as the u.s. wakes up to this mess. i'm sorry about that, but as you put yourself in your users shoes i'm sure you understand how i feel.
If the bulk of my users were in Europe and America, I would NOT do a major release at 4 PM **AUSTRALIA** time. I would mandate that every employee change schedules for 4 days and start work at 5 AM EDT and finish at, say, 2 PM EDT. Then the bulk of the customers would be supported.

But then again, I wouldn't rush this w/o any documentation, either.

[I'm a senior software engineer / team lead and architect.]
zidium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2012, 12:02 PM   #92
zidium

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
and Monday for a full day of QA final testing of those last minute fixes before release.
Less than eight hours of comprehensive QA of the final product!!

BOY IT SHOWS!
zidium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2012, 01:06 PM   #93
Stephenmfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanborg View Post
1. We have (finally!!) made that checkbox stick like it should.
I religiously delete everything, cookies, cache, etc. (except passwords) with CCleaner after closing browser.

When clicking the beloved wand, Opera always "remembers" my preference, even after deleting cookies. Firefox does not remember, after deleting cookies. Somehow, Opera pass manager saved this preference after the initial checkbox click several days ago.

No complaint...just an observation.
Stephenmfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2012, 02:05 PM   #94
yetanother1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidium View Post
Less than eight hours of comprehensive QA of the final product!!

BOY IT SHOWS!
The Apple Maps guys were delayed, so they didn't spend as much time as planned
yetanother1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2012, 02:54 PM   #95
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanother1 View Post
The Apple Maps guys were delayed, so they didn't spend as much time as planned
Those responsible for the Apple Maps fiasco were fired.

Well . . .
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 05:54 AM   #96
Bamb0
Master of the @

Indeed they were!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 06:30 AM   #97
montmorencyfm

What was really unforgivable was....

Not original perhaps, but just to reiterate:

The 2 sins which were 100% unforgivable were, IMO:

1. Not telling us in advance (exactly) what was going to happen

2. Not providing adequate documentation (any documentation? other than in these threads?).

Completely and utterly staggering.

If the above hadn't been the case, a lot of other "sins" could have been overlooked, at least to some extent.
montmorencyfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 06:34 AM   #98
fredagain

The "beloved wand" no longer works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenmfm View Post
I religiously delete everything, cookies, cache, etc. (except passwords) with CCleaner after closing browser.

When clicking the beloved wand, Opera always "remembers" my preference, even after deleting cookies. Firefox does not remember, after deleting cookies. Somehow, Opera pass manager saved this preference after the initial checkbox click several days ago.

No complaint...just an observation.
I have "elderly" users who relied on the wand to simplify their user/password remembering.

The wand now does not work for me.

I have also set up QUICKLINKS ... which now also no longer work.

What am I doing wrong???
fredagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 08:00 AM   #99
srylands

Time to leave

I have been using Fastmail for many years and have recommended it to friends and colleagues. The new interface depresses me. It is clearly the result of a decision by Opera to appeal to a different market segment entirely. If I wanted the new interface I could get it free from many email providers (yahoo etc). Put bluntly, the new interface is totally useless to me – it is not an upgrade but a downgrade. The notion that anyone would pay good money to use this is a laugh.

The classic interface would probably meet my needs (or ,most of them) but the direction is set. Classic will most likely be dropped in the next 2 years (how can we believe any assurances to the contrary?). Anyway Just seeing the Muppet created login screen and the changes every day will be intolerable.

To summarise this is not the service I joined 8 years ago. Luckily I have my own domain name so leaving is not so hard. Assuming Opera management are not stupid, I don’t think they care if advanced users leave – i.e. most of the original Fastmail customer base – they are taking the product in a different direction, which of course they are entitled to do –Opera bought the company so they can do what they like.

I will always look back with affection at Fastmail and what it was – I still remember when I first used it realising that I had discovered something special. But it is gone.
srylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 08:32 AM   #100
Bamb0
Master of the @

Classic is gone in my opinion!!

Classic is "old.eml.cc old.fastmail.fm" -- THATS CLASSIC -- This new stuff IS NOT CLASSIC!! and wont ever be!!

Welcome to the site..
Old 3 Nov 2012, 08:38 AM   #101
gltech

Unbelievable. How can companies afford to pay people to fix what ain't broke in today's economy?

Fastmail, any idea how valuable TIME is to some of us? We don't have any to spare to learn new interfaces and such.

I realize I can still use the old interface. KEEP IT THAT WAY and I won't complain. Force me to use the new interface, and me and my 4 paid accounts are outta here.

I'm not trying to offend anyone personally, but the people that say "Ho hum, I don't really have a problem using a new interface" were not using the original interface in an expert manner. Expert computers users are devastated by a change like this to any software.

I could list 1000 things that make the new interface LESS productive, but I'll just list a couple:

1. If you use the keyboard when possible (in other words, if you're one of the people who can do everything on a computer about 10 times faster than a mouse-only user) the shift+click to open an email in a new window is GONE. Oh yeah, you can right-click then click "Open in new window", but that's 2 clicks instead of one, PLUS the new window has a "loading" progress bar and opens 10x as slow for some reason.

2. To forward (or "reply all" and some others) an email, you now have to click "More" then "Forward" whereas you could just click "Forward" before (yes the new interface takes MORE clicks/effort/TIME). Yes I do realize there's a "forward" button at the bottom, but you have to scroll to it if the email's not short.

...and the list goes on and on.

BOOOOOOOOO!!!
gltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 09:24 AM   #102
adwade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltech View Post
...PLUS the new window has a "loading" progress bar and opens 10x as slow for some reason.
When I first discovered Fastmail years ago, I want to share with you how I so often impressed people...

In my work environment we employ Microsoft's Outlook program, but to open it takes a bit of time. I could click on Outlook and BEFORE it could open my email at work (within our own intranet), I could also click on a Fastmail shortcut in MS-IE and have my personal Fastemail opened up BEFORE MS-Outlook could display my work email.

I was proud to be a Fastmail user and have brought many of my family and friends into the system over the years.

Suffice it to say that: 1)Fastmail no longer opens anywhere as fast as it once did and, 2)I'm no longer a proud Fastmail user.
adwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 11:31 AM   #103
ccl1
Essential Contributor

is there a screenshot to compare the old vs new? i dont have a fastmail account but with all this uproar i'm curious what it looks like
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 02:55 PM   #104
Bamb0
Master of the @

Sadly i cant find any of the original
Old 3 Nov 2012, 03:04 PM   #105
labarum
Essential Contributor

Here is the well loved interface:

http://truesteel.fastmail.fm/slimsand_main.png

A Google image search finds lots more