EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 5 Aug 2010, 07:24 PM   #1
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Say Goodbye To Google Wave

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...ogle-wave.html
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Aug 2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Gankaku

It didn't last very long, did it?
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2010, 09:23 PM   #3
hajonez
Cornerstone of the Community

Yes, I'm a little sorry to hear that it is going. I liked the concept but really didn't take the time to explore it properly. I think it's difficult to 'reinvent' the email paradigm because we're all so used to how email operates and have become quite good at working around email's limitations. As one of the articles I read stated, perhaps Wave was ahead of its time. The 'masses' certainly haven't taken to it, which is a shame.

- Henry
hajonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2010, 03:18 AM   #4
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Perhaps to state the obvious, it might be viewed as a "solution" for which there ultimately wasn't a "problem." I didn't spend much time exploring it either, I guess precisely because I had trouble identifying any important need that it appeared to fulfill not already adequately met by other, better-established, "solutions."
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2010, 08:04 AM   #5
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

The way it seems to me is that they claimed they were making a new communications protocol but what they did make available is only access for users to an interface for using an application running on their servers. Google Wave users could use it only to communicate with other Google Wave users. I don't think they never opened the Google Wave servers for federation with other Wave servers, so there was no point for most anyone else to host such a separate Wave server or to develop a Wave client (though it seems there were others developing Wave servers and clients).

Anyway it sort of seems like email before 1971: people using the same host could send messages to each other. Then then in 1971 Ray Tomlinson extended it and created a way for users on different hosts on a network to send messages to each other. AFAIK Google Wave never got to this stage: they created a new communications protocol, never connected their own host using this protocol to the network and then announced that it failed to attract users so it will be terminated.

It is still possible that they are killing their Google Wave service but are planning on integrating the Wave protocol in other products. The protocol is very promising. The web app they created as an interface is not that great. Killing the web app and the service can be a way to get rid of the higher level bits in the protocol and continue development on top of the lower level bit (the Wave federation protocol).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2010, 11:17 AM   #6
William9
The "e" in e-mail

It is a very good albeit complicated collaboration platform for workgroups.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2010, 12:53 PM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

I knew it would be a dead duck the very day that it arrived - wish me luck as you 'wave' me goodby.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Donat

Some people "think that Google Wave should be saved":
http://www.savegooglewave.com/
Donat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2010, 11:34 PM   #9
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

This is Google's way of saying "Not enough people used it, which affected the amount of data we can mine, so it's no longer cost effective to continue operating.." ala Google Notebook.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote