EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Aug 2015, 12:26 PM   #1
jkc054

Question Blackberry Classic and Calendar

I have a Blackberry Classic. It comes with a native email application and a native calendar application and CalDAV client. I set up my Fastmail account on the email app and my email syncs in both directions but my calendar appointments appear to sync only in one direction, if I make an appointment on my Fastmail calendar I can see it on my Blackberry calendar but when I make an appointment on my Blackberry calendar I do not see it on my Fastmail calendar.

Last edited by jkc054 : 26 Aug 2015 at 02:40 PM.
jkc054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Aug 2015, 02:39 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

First a general comment: Posting the same request to two different threads only aggravates those reading your posts.

I don't have a Blackberry, so hopefully somebody else using one successfully will add their comments. But I do use CalDAV calendar synchronization between my Fastmail and iCloud (iPad and iPhone) accounts. Did you follow the instructions in Fastmail help?
https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/blackberry.html

What Sync interval did you set on the Blackberry? You might not be waiting long enough for synchronization.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2015, 02:50 PM   #3
jkc054

I deleted the second request.

I followed the Fastmail instructions for CalDAV on a Blackberry phone. I set the sync interval for 4 hours.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 02:51 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

OK. How long has it been since you tried creating a calendar event on the Blackberry?
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2015, 02:52 PM   #5
jkc054

A few minutes ago and I changed the sync interval from 4 hours to 5 minutes.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 03:01 PM   #6
jkc054

I created a ticket with Fastmail and below is Merlin's reply from Fastmail. When I purchased CalDAV on Google Play for my old Android phone and used the native calendar for that phone it synced both ways.

This is expected. Your Blackberry events are local to your
phone, they wouldn't be reflected in your fastmail calendar
unless you move those events to your fastmail calendar.
To do that, you would need to first export your BB calendar and
then import them to your fastmail calendar: https://www.fastmail.com/help/calendar/importexportcalendars.html

Once its imported, those events would then be in your fastmail
calendar and hence would be reflected in your phones calendar
as well.
You would need to delete the local calendar on your phone to
avoid seeing duplicate calendar events.
Hope that makes sense.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 03:04 PM   #7
jkc054

Unhappy

I just checked my Fastmail calendar and as expected the test entry in my BB calendar does not appear in my Fastmail calendar. I thought the whole purpose using CalDAV is that syncing is bidirectional?
Old 26 Aug 2015, 03:25 PM   #8
jkc054

I completely forgot that on my Android phone I purchased/installed an app called Business Calendar and I also purchased and installed CalDAV which did not come with the phone. When I added entries in Business Calendar it appeared on my Fastmail calendar. I think Business Calendar used in some fashion Google Calendar so perhaps it was using that to show entries to both calendars? Funny thing is if I added an entry to Business Calendar and then logged into my Fastmail calendar it was there too.

Is there any way to have a calendar app, native or purchased, sync in both directions so I can avoid the export/import route?

Merlin at Fastmail says CalDAV does not support two way sync, only one way, from Fastmail calendar to the BB calendar. I am bummed out. I just installed Business Calendar on my BB classic so maybe I can get it to work like it did on my Android phone but the developer makes no promises when installing it on my BB Classic.

Last edited by jkc054 : 26 Aug 2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 04:15 PM   #9
jkc054

When I had my Android phone I purchased and installed CalDAV Sync. This app supports two way syncs. It appears that CalDAV, including what came with my BB, only supports one way syncs. I am hoping the developer will tell me it does or might work if I install it on my BB.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 11:05 AM   #10
OLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc054 View Post
When I had my Android phone I purchased and installed CalDAV Sync. This app supports two way syncs. It appears that CalDAV, including what came with my BB, only supports one way syncs. I am hoping the developer will tell me it does or might work if I install it on my BB.
I have been running a Blackberry Passport on 10.3.1 and using FastMail for quite a while now. I have been using the Blackberry calendar and contacts and syncing with FastMail also. The calendar and contacts will only sync from FastMail to BB and not the other way. I haven't found a way to get the Blackberry apps to sync back to Fastmail. That doesn't mean there isn't one though. I just haven't found any.

I also found that if I try to add an image to a contact using Blackberry Contacts, it breaks the picture in the main FastMail Web application. At this point, the only way I have found to add a contact picture is to add it through one of my Android devices. They are all synced to FastMail with calDAV and cardDAV and work fine. I have no problem with that.

There is a very simple work around enabling you to update the FastMail Calendar and Contacts using your Blackberry device. Just install the FastMail Android App on your Blackberry and you can easily use that to make all your updates, both calendar and contacts, to FastMail directly from your phone.

When you update using the Android App on your Blackberry, your Blackberry Calendar and Contacts will eventually sync and everything should be fine. The FastMail Android App works quite well on my BlackBerry.

I hope this helps.

OLee

If you don't want to install the FastMail Android App, you could use your Blackberry Browser and log into your FastMail account at www.fastmail.com. The browser also works quite well on Fastmail too.

Last edited by OLee : 27 Aug 2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Additional info.
OLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2015, 03:44 AM   #11
glass

I have two-way sync working on my Z30 with the native calendar app. When you add the event you have to select Account and change it from "Local calendar" to your fastmail account and select which Fastmail calendar you want to save it to. Events saved to your local calendar don't sync and imo they shouldn't, that's why it's called *local* calendar.
glass is offline   Reply With Quote