EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Feb 2016, 04:42 AM   #1
Tom Gallagher

Fastmail or Fake

I think this is a phony. Am I right or wrong.?
"*"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

The Fastmail Team <sheribooth@xplornet.ca>
Feb 3 (22 hours ago)Pin
to tomgallagherShow details
InboxMark as UnreadReply to All More

From:The Fastmail Team <sheribooth@xplornet.ca>To:tomgallagher@fastmail.netSubject:12 Incoming Emails HangingDate:Wednesday, February 03, 2016 16:27Size:7 KB
Dear User,
Due to some technical faults, some of your incoming emails are hanging in our server. This issue has been fixed by our technical department and please sorry for the inconvenience. Please click here to read and retrieve the pending emails. Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,
Fastmail team
Tom Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Feb 2016, 05:18 AM   #2
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

It's phony. At the least, you'd expect the return address to be in the fastmail.com domain.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2016, 05:21 AM   #3
Tom Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo View Post
It's phony. At the least, you'd expect the return address to be in the fastmail.com domain.
Thank you.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 07:53 AM   #4
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Official email from FastMail will always display with a green "tick" icon. If it doesn't have it, it's a forgery. See here for details: https://blog.fastmail.com/2015/02/13...from-fastmail/
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2016, 07:56 AM   #5
somdcomputerguy

Your thinking it's phony is definitely right.

Another phoniness clue. (if Fastmail knows your email address, they know the name that you used to sign up. Although some of their mailing list emails start with Dear Fastmail User,)
Quote:
Dear User,
Another phoniness clue. (incorrect grammatical format)
Quote:
This issue has been fixed by our technical department and please sorry for the inconvenience.
Another phoniness clue. (if Fastmail does have mail that couldn't be delivered, they just send them to you (as, email) not as attachments or require you to click a link, when they are again able to.)
Quote:
Please click here to read and retrieve the pending emails.
So these three clues, plus the From: address thing mentioned in an earlier post by placebo (edit: and the post by robn), are definitely 'badness' flags. It's a good thing you posted here for confirmation though.

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 5 Feb 2016 at 08:03 AM.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2016, 08:19 AM   #6
Tom Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
Your thinking it's phony is definitely right.

Another phoniness clue. (if Fastmail knows your email address, they know the name that you used to sign up. Although some of their mailing list emails start with Dear Fastmail User,)

Another phoniness clue. (incorrect grammatical format)

Another phoniness clue. (if Fastmail does have mail that couldn't be delivered, they just send them to you (as, email) not as attachments or require you to click a link, when they are again able to.)

So these three clues, plus the From: address thing mentioned in an earlier post by placebo (edit: and the post by robn), are definitely 'badness' flags. It's a good thing you posted here for confirmation though.
Thanks mate.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 10:21 AM   #7
m90000

SPAM filter needs attention?

My mom's FM account has been flooded with these obviously phony phishing messages. UNfortunately she uses an IPad which has no mouse over or right button to see the bogus source header. I don't remember there being an equivalent to the 'green' label.

Interesting that I rarely see one of the same kind.
m90000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2016, 12:11 PM   #8
yositimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m90000 View Post
My mom's FM account has been flooded with these obviously phony phishing messages. UNfortunately she uses an IPad which has no mouse over or right button to see the bogus source header. I don't remember there being an equivalent to the 'green' label.

Interesting that I rarely see one of the same kind.
Her email address was probably compromised, and yours was not. A couple of my email addresses, which are widely known, get those phony messages as well as junk mail while most do not.
yositimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2016, 02:07 AM   #9
jkc054

I am getting a lot of these two. Started a few months ago. Getting spam with my forged email address (from me to me) which I did not send. No way to stop it apparently.
jkc054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2016, 02:22 AM   #10
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc054 View Post
Getting spam with my forged email address (from me to me) which I did not send. No way to stop it apparently.
You can define a filter that deletes email that is from you to you. If you don't want to delete (discard) those messages for whatever reason, you could just move them to your Junk folder, or any other folder for that matter.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2016, 02:38 AM   #11
jkc054

I occasionally send emails to myself. I thought about the filter. I just want to block them so they never reach my Inbox but it appears that is impossible so either I filter them and retrieve the ones I have sent or do nothing and delete them as they arrive.
jkc054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:55 AM   #12
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn
Official email from FastMail will always display with a green "tick" icon. If it doesn't have it, it's a forgery. See here for details: https://blog.fastmail.com/2015/02/13...from-fastmail/
Yes these idiots are desperate Rob!!!

They keep sending emails "THIS IS THE FINAL WARNING FOR YOU" trying to make it look like you guys are sending it!!!!!

WHY DONT THEY JUST REGISTER AN ACCOUNT IF THEY WANT ONE??
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote