EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Jan 2019, 03:48 PM   #1
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

I got derailed; must create app password?

"You have just tried to log in to our IMAP service using your regular FastMail password. Your regular password can only be used to log in to the web interface or our mobile app.

To use our IMAP service, you must create an app password.

For more details, see our app password setup guide and our step-by-step client setup guides."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My FM mail account was set up to duplicate itself from my Mac PC to my iPad Pro. I also couldn't send a video from my phone to my PC (I do NOT have mail on my phone; I mention the video only to explain the following.)

I called Apple Care which covers me for the PC. The agent had me jacking around with FM passwords, and then mail from my PC quit going to the iPad. They were set up to duplicate each other, and I could always use my iPad to answer mail. Now the mail isn't even going to my iPad at all. When I first set up the PC, an Apple lady came over to my house and griped mightily about my wanting to stick with FastMail, but I was resolute. I remember her groaning about the "app password," which is apparently very long and complicated but had to be set up only once.

So now I am hopelessly lost. Can anyone explain to me in simple terms what I have done wrong and how to fix it? I am remedial, so please be kind.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jan 2019, 04:43 PM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

To access FM from an email client app you must use an app password instead of the account password. Read FM documentation on app passwords here.

Just for completeness here's the FM server settings you need for you email client apps.

Last edited by xyzzy : 25 Jan 2019 at 04:49 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2019, 05:29 PM   #3
noclue

Well, I read all of that stuff, but it still seems like I shouldn't have to get a new app password. Maybe I need to investigate my "regular" password?
Old 25 Jan 2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

You can you your old application password if you already had one and know what it is. Other wise you will have to get another one.
Your normal fastmail password wont work, it now has to be an application password.
Perhaps Bill will help you with this.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2019, 03:48 AM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Noclue,I can’t figure out in the first post. First question: where is the problem? On your iPad or on your Mac?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2019, 04:57 AM   #6
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Well, I read all of that stuff, but it still seems like I shouldn't have to get a new app password. Maybe I need to investigate my "regular" password?
What do you mean a "new app password"? You're first post implied you were trying to use your account password? As mentioned a couple of times that will never work with your email client apps no matter which device you use those clients on.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 07:32 AM   #7
noclue

The AppleCare agent had me change the password to my email on all accounts. I figured that would make the mail behave as it has for years - - i.e., I could get mail on both my iPad and the PC. But the mail is no longer going to my iPad. Since the password was changed on all the accounts and yet did not work on my iPad, I figured it must be something else.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 01:02 PM   #8
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
The AppleCare agent had me change the password to my email on all accounts. I figured that would make the mail behave as it has for years - - i.e., I could get mail on both my iPad and the PC. But the mail is no longer going to my iPad. Since the password was changed on all the accounts and yet did not work on my iPad, I figured it must be something else.
One last time. You can change your FastMail account password until you are blue in the face but nothing is going to let you access email from a FastMail account using any email client app unless you use app passwords in those clients.

The only (and required) way your devices can use your FastMail account password is when you access the FastMail webmail with a browser. Maybe that's what your pc and ipad were doing.
Old 27 Jan 2019, 03:27 AM   #9
emoore
Essential Contributor

Are you using one of the current plans or a legacy plan? If you're using a legacy plan (like I am) you don't need to use a app password.

A legacy plan uses mail.messagingengine.com as the mail server. If your new email client defaulted to using imap.fastmail.com you can get the error message you mentioned because that mail server is only meant for use with current plans (which require a app password).
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2019, 12:44 PM   #10
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
Are you using one of the current plans or a legacy plan? If you're using a legacy plan (like I am) you don't need to use a app password.

A legacy plan uses mail.messagingengine.com as the mail server. If your new email client defaulted to using imap.fastmail.com you can get the error message you mentioned because that mail server is only meant for use with current plans (which require a app password).
Actually it's unrelated to legacy vs current plan - it's a completely separate flag for "has used account password on mail.messagingingengine.com recently". We're migrating people away from that because it's less secure, but we haven't done everyone yet - hence the magic flag to "grandfather" old accounts.

But as everyone is saying: just do the app password thing already. It's the future, and it means you won't have to deal with this again later.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote