EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 17 Jan 2014, 04:48 PM   #1
anontom

Angry ROCK.COM will charge for their email - NO MORE FREE

Just got (Jan 14, 2014) two notices in my inbox at rock.com. As of Feb. 15, 2014 you will have to prepay $30US per year to use their (free) email service. Bummer! Now the whole family has to change their logins at places like Amazon.com and all the other online stores we use.

They have a history of leaking to spammers the addresses of everyone you send an email to... and now they want credit card numbers too? Not likely.
anontom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Jan 2014, 09:20 PM   #2
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by anontom View Post
Just got (Jan 14, 2014) two notices in my inbox at rock.com. As of Feb. 15, 2014 you will have to prepay $30US per year to use their (free) email service. Bummer! Now the whole family has to change their logins at places like Amazon.com and all the other online stores we use.

They have a history of leaking to spammers the addresses of everyone you send an email to... and now they want credit card numbers too? Not likely.
Welcome to the forum, anontom.

If you and your family liked the domain name because you are into rock music (or perhaps because you are geologists?), then I can see why the service might appeal to you. With that said, however, why on earth would you ever want to use a service that has a "history of leaking to spammers the addresses of everyone you send an email to..."? Sounds like good riddance (except maybe for the name, if you liked it).
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2014, 10:30 PM   #3
EdinwolfPA

Quote:
Now the whole family has to change their logins at places like Amazon.com and all the other online stores we use. .
Hello,

Have you considered getting your own domain name for your e-mail purposes?

By getting your own domain name you can avoid such problems in the future.

Just a suggestion.

David
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2014, 10:59 AM   #4
anontom

@communicant

The main reason I went with Rock.com was to keep spam out of our personal email account. This worked well for many years.

Since it was used as a notification address or when an email address was 'required', it was only recently that the leak to spammers was discovered.
A friend asked for suggestions on a free email account and I mentioned Rock.com. Whenever the personal account received an email from there we saw a spike in spam, which would taper off after a while... until the next time. The same happened when I sent from Rock to other known clean accounts.

Anyhow, since they now want $$ that problem will be self-correcting.

@EdinwolfPA

Yeah... thought about it. It just doesn't seem worth the aggravation, especially when there are free solutions readily available. The biggest hassle is changing our profiles at all the places that 'require' an email address. Now that will occur regardless of the solution.

Enjoy,
Tom
anontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2014, 10:17 PM   #5
lane

Quote:
Yeah... thought about it. It just doesn't seem worth the aggravation, especially when there are free solutions readily available. The biggest hassle is changing our profiles at all the places that 'require' an email address. Now that will occur regardless of the solution.
You can buy your own domain for around $10 per year. Hosting of your email can be done for free if you like, at Windows Live Domains for example (Google Apps is no longer available for free except for existing accounts).

I look at it as cheap insurance. If I become dissatisfied with my email provider, I can switch to another one, while keeping every email address the same because I own the domain at which the addresses exist. Or I can even experiment with different providers to see which one is best.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2014, 04:12 AM   #6
William9
The "e" in e-mail

It's really difficult to update all of your correspondents to a new email address. Another reason to own your own domain. I have been waiting until i no longer get important emails at one of my old free accounts before I close it. It's been more than 2 years since I've given the old address to anyone. I diligently change my address to the current one every chance I get.
Despite all of this, I'm still getting an occasional important email at the old address. It takes forever to get everyone updated.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2014, 04:26 AM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

If your old e-mail account has a vacation auto-reply option, you can set it up to remind people you've changed your e-mail address.

If they still don't get the hint, at least you've tried.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2014, 02:51 PM   #8
Just Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
You can buy your own domain for around $10 per year. Hosting of your email can be done for free if you like, at Windows Live Domains for example (Google Apps is no longer available for free except for existing accounts).

Exactly. Just register a domain at one of the registrars (I use namecheap) and for a minimal amount of coin you can have your own domain hosted on Microsoft's servers for free. Easy to setup as well.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2020, 09:19 PM   #9
SzinNapalm

one thing about rock.com

if someone tampers with you email address like tris to login with the wrong password they give you the ip address of that attempt is there a way to get software like this with out useing rock.coms email provider? thanks
SzinNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2020, 07:33 PM   #10
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome <<>> When I had fastmail they had a log of all logins,I dunno if they still do......

It IS useful!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote