EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 May 2010, 12:09 PM   #1
TiiDubYa

Craigslist blocked fastmail

Craigslist AD generated email addresses arent forwarding emails to the AD creators. I had been wondering why i wasnt getting any replies from offers i made thru emails.

I also did a little test to verify this. Created an Craigslist Account with a gmail address. Then with that account I create a "test ad" which generated a random email address for that ad. Then I send an email with a @sent.com address to that random email address. Checked my gmail 20 minutes later and messages did not arrive. I also tried sending to that random address with both hotmail and Yahoo mail account and the emails are forwarded to my gmail account.

Also did this with @mydomain.com hosted by fastmail and the result is the same with @sent.com.

Anyone else experiencing this?

BTW I checked my gmail spam folder and its not there. Craigslist simply didnt forward the mails coming from fastmail accounts.
TiiDubYa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 May 2010, 11:48 PM   #2
DianeB
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm not real sure what you mean, but AFAIK I haven't been having any problems with Craigslist forwarding mail to my FM account. (alias using @sent.com).

I've received all email notifications of my ad being posted, received responses, emailed those responses & received replies back.

~Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2010, 02:25 PM   #3
snsh

I just noticed the same behavior. Emails from FM webmail to CL addresses are silently not going through, possibly since late May.

According to online help, craigslist blocks senders for bad/missing reverse-dns, but outgoing messages appear to be originating from out1.smtp.messagingengine.com [66.111.4.25]. I wonder if CL's DNS cache is poisoned or stale, or if something else is going on.
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2010, 10:59 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have sent a message about this situation to the Fastmail staff.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2010, 07:33 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I got a response from Rob Mueller (Fastmail staff). He says that there are no bounces coming from Craigslist, but they might be trashing some incoming email without a bounce. So he has contacted them and trying to see what is happening.

Bill
Old 22 Jul 2010, 06:51 AM   #6
splustest

Same problem - anything new?

I haven't been getting responses to my replies to Craigslist
ads since first part of May. I've been trying to deal with this
on the CL forum. Their current suggestion is to check with
my email provider - fastmail. Found this thread when I
searched.

I THINK I was able to have one response to a test ad I put
on CL get through, but only once out of a number of tests.

Is there any update of the discussions between CL and FM?
splustest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2010, 01:16 AM   #7
splustest

Bump

Any new information?
splustest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2010, 01:38 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I asked Rob again and he says he has gotten no responses from CL, and that no Fastmail user has filed a support request, so there isn't much else he can do without a specific user account to troubleshoot. There are no bounces coming back from CL, and evidently some Fastmail users have no problems with using CraigsList. I haven't used it in such as manner, so can't give you more information.

So file a Fastmail support request if you have such problems.

Bill
Old 27 Aug 2013, 08:06 AM   #9
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Are people still having trouble with this? I answered an ad in CL with a @fastmail.us address and got no response at all over the weekend. Just sent another response from my Gmail account. I'll update if they tell me they didn't get the @fastmail.
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2016, 10:58 AM   #10
snsh

It's happening again. Craigslist is blocking Fastmail's SMTP for the past 48 hours or so.
Old 6 Jul 2016, 11:00 AM   #11
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by snsh View Post
It's happening again. Craigslist is blocking Fastmail's SMTP for the past 48 hours or so.
Maybe this is why no one gets my responses to my ads...
Very annoying. Lost a lot of sales. Now I'm mad.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2016, 08:01 AM   #12
snsh

A day later CL is still blocking FM emails. It's really a shame. Craigslist holds a secure spot in the market and is making tons of money, but they seem to be spending none of it on development. They even have a prominently advertised System Status webpage which is so sparse it makes you wonder what's going on.

They have a support request form. Maybe if enough people submit complaints it will draw attention to the problem.
Old 7 Jul 2016, 08:19 AM   #13
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
A day later CL is still blocking FM emails. It's really a shame. Craigslist holds a secure spot in the market and is making tons of money, but they seem to be spending none of it on development. They even have a prominently advertised System Status webpage which is so sparse it makes you wonder what's going on.

They have a support request form. Maybe if enough people submit complaints it will draw attention to the problem.
Does nothing but return a generic email. I posted in the forums.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 05:30 AM   #14
snsh

An RBL check shows that 66.111.4.27 (out3-smtp.messagingengine.com) is blacklisted by backscatterer.org due to a report made on 2016-07-05.

I don't know if craigslist uses that blacklist, but the dates line up.

That particular blocklist seems to be focused on messages sent with the "wrong" from-address. They might not be considering return-path or sender. Either way, it might be time for FM to start requiring that the from-address be a confirmed address to prevent this mess. If the short term, it looks like FM either needs to pay the $107 ransom to get removed from the blocklist, or rotate the outgoing SMTP IP to one with better reputation.

Last edited by snsh : 8 Jul 2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 06:42 AM   #15
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
An RBL check shows that 66.111.4.27 (out3-smtp) is blacklisted by backscatterer.org due to a report made on 2016-07-05.

I don't know if craigslist uses that blacklist, but the dates line up.
Is someone attesting this? ??