EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Nov 2006, 06:35 AM   #16
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm glad to hear Rob say that the stuff at the top of the list is mostly core email functionality... it seems the calendar thing is very popular, but I for one would rate it very low priority. FM is already the coolest email service around, but could be even better. I prefer to see them continue to improve the core business to be the best that it can possibly be before branching out into side functions like calendaring. IMHO.

In the interest of full disclosure, however, I should say that I do make good use of Notepad and file storage and appreciate the ability to host a domain web site

Dave
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2006, 02:16 PM   #17
Shelded

Quote:
Originally posted by NJSS
When updating:-

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/comingenhancements.htm

Please add the calendar referred to by Jeremy back in 2004, as it appears to have been quietly dropped from the list of coming enhancements in the interim ! ?
AFAIC the calendar should be in the top 5 projects!! It is the single source of embarassment when compared to other providers. I also think family/business accounts is critical and for business we must have bulletproof archival to avoid lawsuits.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2006, 11:38 AM   #18
MagicDavid

Quote:
Originally posted by savirr
Can I put in a request for a way to completely download the contents of the address book, perhaps as an XML file? This has been discussed in the Feature Requests forum so I won't repeat myself here...

Simon
I second that. Using the virtual path idea that brong suggested so we can download our address book via ftp or dav would be even better!

I think the address book is a core piece of email system functionality - whereas the calendar an extra feature. I'm sure others who are desperate for a calendar may disagree!
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2006, 11:53 AM   #19
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by NJSS
When updating:-

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/comingenhancements.htm

Please add the calendar referred to by Jeremy back in 2004, as it appears to have been quietly dropped from the list of coming enhancements in the interim ! ?
As an aside, the domain split timeline changed several times before it finally became a reality.

Sept 2002: Target date = Jan 2003.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...9390#post69390

Oct 2003: Target date = by the end of 2003.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...954#post146954

Jan 2004: Target date = first half of 2004.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...558#post167558
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2006, 12:41 PM   #20
Misha

I'll add my (oft-repeated) request:

Per-use Bayes for the Spam Filter.

Seriously - for those unfamiliar w. this, my own experience w. this in past setups is that it helps a *lot* w. spam filtering.

As with some of the above features, it's been promised as being just around the corner for I think just under 2 years now.

FM folks - maybe it'd be useful for us users to get realistic/accurate predictions of when to exptect new features. Had I known in March 2005 that I'd still be waiting for this feature in November 2006, I might have done something in the intermim. But every few months there's a post from someone at FM saying it's coming soon. So I keep living with the high spam rates, because I keep believing that we'll get the per-user bayes in the next couple of months.

I'm really happy w. FM in general, but waiting for per-user bayes is becoming a bit of a sore spot.
Misha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2006, 12:56 PM   #21
MarkD

Quote:
Originally posted by NumberSix
I'm glad to hear Rob say that the stuff at the top of the list is mostly core email functionality... it seems the calendar thing is very popular, but I for one would rate it very low priority. FM is already the coolest email service around, but could be even better. I prefer to see them continue to improve the core business to be the best that it can possibly be before branching out into side functions like calendaring. IMHO.

In the interest of full disclosure, however, I should say that I do make good use of Notepad and file storage and appreciate the ability to host a domain web site

Dave

You just said pretty much everything I was going to say. So ditto.

It's not that I don't want a calendar function, but it most definitely comes after rock-solid powerful email with file storage.

Also, I was happy to hear brong mention the wap interface as I do use that sometimes.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2006, 01:05 PM   #22
Misha

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkD
It's not that I don't want a calendar function, but it most definitely comes after rock-solid powerful email with file storage.

[/b]
Yes, please! Better email- reliable and secure. There are plenty of other sites that can do calendars, picture galleries, web hosting, etc.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 04:41 AM   #23
Si1

Well said Misha. Email is FM's core business and should be the focus of their development plan. I do appreciate the file storage and the excellent address book though.

For those who need a decent web-based Calendar/PIM, I recommend Backpack from 37 Signals. Of course, Google's free calendar is hard to beat as well.

In terms of email development, I'd like to see one-time passwords, cross-folder search and the ability to choose the URL that you're redirected to when you log-out (which is a bit of an odd one, I know).
Si1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2006, 08:24 AM   #24
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I know people would really like a calendar, as it's often seen as the "final piece" of the service. I'd like to do it, but there's enough core email stuff to keep us busy for a little while first. As some other company recently noticed, it's quite easy to fall into the "peanut butter" effect of spreading yourself everywhere thinly.

Lets get the email things people have been wanting for ages done first (eg bayes, unicode, cross-folder searching, etc) then work on other big projects.

The family/small business accounts are really important for 2 reasons:
1. You wouldn't believe the number of requests we've had for them
2. They should definitely help the bottom line, which would allow us to hire more people to work on other things as well

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2006, 08:28 AM   #25
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
I know people would really like a calendar, as it's often seen as the "final piece" of the service. I'd like to do it, but there's enough core email stuff to keep us busy for a little while first.

Lets get the email things people have been wanting for ages done first (eg bayes, unicode, cross-folder searching, etc) then work on other big projects.
You are talking like really basic stuff Rob? Like 'warn if no subject' - that would be nice

edit Here is a link to a previous thread about this

Last edited by David : 21 Nov 2006 at 09:07 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2006, 11:58 AM   #26
pcs
Essential Contributor

Quote:

2. They should definitely help the bottom line, which would allow us to hire more people to work on other things as well

Rob
Bravo, I can't wait for cross-folder searching! I do hope that in good time, all those that wish for a calendar, get to see that come to fruition.
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2006, 03:11 PM   #27
Misha

Quote:

Hurray!

Quote:

Rob
I wonder how many people would be willing to pay more for the service if it meant greater reliability? I'd happily pay twice what I currently pay for my enhanced account if it were more reliable (and had better spam filtering...). I'm guessing that's not the same as a "small business" account...
Old 21 Nov 2006, 05:32 PM   #28
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

perhaps you have a common name which attracts spam, I used Terry for a while but gave up on that.

I now get about 1 spam a month if that....enhanced acc
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2006, 07:11 PM   #29
injinuity

Quote:
I

Rob
Over the last 5 years, lack of cross folder searching has been my biggest gripe... Glad to hear that its somewhere in the FM's scheme of things, wishing you all the best in implementing this feature as soon as possible.

Rgds,

J.J
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2006, 11:10 PM   #30
MagicDavid

Sad to see Address Book Exporting hasn't been mentioned
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote