EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 18 Mar 2019, 02:55 AM   #16
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
In my limited experience I would rate paid G Suite and Microsoft Office 365 customer service as near the top[...] I recently went through a set up of both for a company and in both cases I encountered things that were not documented, were not working correctly, and would have been game stoppers without the help of customer service.
This begs the question: why can't they sort the documentation out?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2019, 06:09 AM   #17
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
This begs the question: why can't they sort the documentation out?
It's the same with every email service, and the more sophisticated the software the more likely that something doesn't work quite how it is explained, or something doesn't work at all. I was talking to someone who is a developer the other day about this, and these systems are so complex with so many moving parts that things just crop up all the time. I have heard that Facebook has 10,000 engineers working on their software. Imagine how hard it is to keep everything working!
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2019, 09:07 AM   #18
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexu2007 View Post
4. Tutanota - solid provider, simple webmail with a lot of features I need missing. You can't use IMAP.
I have to admit that Tutanota is one of the most driven provider in development and community expressions.

https://twitter.com/TutanotaTeam
https://www.reddit.com/r/tutanota/ (support forum)
https://mastodon.social/@Tutanota
https://github.com/tutao/tutanota (development)

Last edited by Berenburger : 19 Mar 2019 at 08:36 AM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2019, 08:33 PM   #19
TenFour
Master of the @

Tutanota and all the other privacy focused email providers may be focusing on the wrong threats. It is a bit like the Maginot Line--impregnable, but the enemy goes around it. Every study shows that the biggest email threat comes via phishing and other human engineering attacks. One reason Gmail scans your emails is to prevent spam, phishing, and other attacks and it is quite effective at that. The contrast has been stark when I have tried other smaller email providers (I have not used Tutanota)--the flood of unwanted spam and dangerous email comes pouring in, which I don't get using Gmail and Outlook.com.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 02:40 AM   #20
rmannam

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMind View Post
TenFour,

Tutanota has been very reliable and gives you a very confident feeling regarding privacy, but their web interface is relatively crude.

HTH

End Reprint.
I agree with you on that their web interface is crude!
rmannam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2019, 05:56 AM   #21
WheelDeal

Thanks to all for this thread--it's quite helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMind View Post
Tutanota has been very reliable . . . but their web interface is relatively crude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmannam View Post
I agree with you on that their web interface is crude!
I'd like to try Tutanota, so I'm disappointed to hear about its interface. I'm considering it for domain management, so I'm particularly frustrated that even the paid plan seems to lack both IMAP/POP3 support and a proper import/export function.

Could you comment on the weaknesses of Tutanota's interface?

Also, do you all have any experience with Kolab Now?

Thanks again!
WheelDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2019, 08:33 AM   #22
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelDeal View Post
Thanks to all for this thread--it's quite helpful.

I'd like to try Tutanota, so I'm disappointed to hear about its interface. I'm considering it for domain management, so I'm particularly frustrated that even the paid plan seems to lack both IMAP/POP3 support and a proper import/export function.
IMAP/POP3 is not possible because then they could not guarantee end-to-end encryption for your data. Instead Tutanota offers email desktop clients for Linux, Mac OS and Windows and of course webmail.

Import email is on the roadmap.

Quote:
Could you comment on the weaknesses of Tutanota's interface?
It lacks some features, but personally I like the simplicity of the interface.
Altough more features are to come. https://tutanota.com/roadmap
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2019, 08:42 AM   #23
TenFour
Master of the @

ProtonMail offers some sort of "bridge" software that allows IMAP to Thunderbird and Outlook I believe. I believe this means that the end-to-end encryption is preserved to your individual PC and then a transfer between the bridge and the email client would not need to be encrypted because it is only on your local device. For those who have gone to encrypted providers, why would you choose Tutanota over ProtonMail (which seems to offer more features)?

Last edited by TenFour : 26 Mar 2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 27 Mar 2019, 07:22 AM   #24
InquiringMind

Tutanota offers more space 1 GB vs 500 MB for it's free account.

Tutanota and Protonmail both have Android apps. Tutanota's seems to use more battery than Protonmail.

Protonmail's interface is very elementary also.
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2019, 06:59 AM   #25
WheelDeal

Quote:
For those who have gone to encrypted providers, why would you choose Tutanota over ProtonMail (which seems to offer more features)?
Hello, TenFour -

The primary reason is PGP; I know of no one savvy enough to use it properly.
Old 29 Mar 2019, 06:58 AM   #26
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
The primary reason is PGP; I know of no one savvy enough to use it properly.
I know of no one who actually uses encrypted email! I tried ProtonMail out for awhile, and it is a reasonable email service even if the people you are communicating with aren't using the same platform, but nobody wanted to reciprocate which seems to defeat the purpose mostly.
Old 29 Mar 2019, 07:34 AM   #27
WheelDeal

To coin a phrase, "Oh, dear." I'm sure Tutanota is a well-intended effort--I appreciate the concept. Unfortunately, it won't meet my needs.

I'd like to investigate other options. I'm particularly interested in KolabNow, but I've found little useful information about it.

Thanks.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 07:00 AM   #28
InquiringMind

Quote:
WheelDeal here is an excerpt from Fastmail...

About domains

A custom domain allows you to receive email at a domain of your choosing (such as @greatproduct.com), not just from FastMail's many domains.

You can host the email for your domains with FastMail, providing you have a Standard or Professional account. Our account limits page lists how many domains and aliases each account type may have.

Note: FastMail does not sell domains. You'll need to purchase a domain from a domain registrar. A registrar is a company that manages the purchase and ownership of internet domain names. If you're looking for a registrar, we recommend Gandi.

Only administrators for an account can manage their custom domains.

Users on our Basic plan must remain in one of the FastMail domains.
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2019, 07:49 AM   #29
WheelDeal

Quote:
I know of no one who actually uses encrypted email! I tried ProtonMail out for awhile, and it is a reasonable email service even if the people you are communicating with aren't using the same platform, but nobody wanted to reciprocate which seems to defeat the purpose mostly.
There are other reasons I won't consider Proton Mail. Have you heard of Charles River Ventures? They're ostensibly an American investment firm. In 2014, they pumped two million dollars into Proton Mail. Here's an overview of the situation; I've extracted the text from restoreprivacy.com:

Quote:
ProtonMail is a Switzerland-based email service that has become quite popular in the past few years. In researching the company, I discovered some interesting history with ties going to the United States, which we will now briefly cover. ProtonMail appeared on the scene in the wake of the Snowden revelations and was promoted by American media as “The Only Email System the NSA Can’t Access” – which was around the time Lavabit was shut down for not cooperating with the US government.

In 2014 ProtonMail launched a successful crowd-funding campaign where they stated:
"We firmly believe that ProtonMail can only succeed in its mission if it remains independent. By raising money through crowd funding, we can ensure that our first and only priority is protecting the privacy of our users."
Less than one year later, however, ProtonMail accepted a $2 million “investment” from a Boston-based firm called Charles River Ventures (CRV). CRV is an interesting company that seeks to get a “strong ownership stake” in various startups. Around the same time this was happening, Snowden revealed that the NSA coerces US-owned companies to install backdoors or compromise their encryption to facilitate state surveillance efforts. (This is one reason people avoid US-based tech.)

Regarding the investors and owners of ProtonMail, we find here that it was also financed and/or advised by the Venture Monitoring Service in Boston:
"We have been working with VMS since the very beginning and our mentors have been key to our success. Our mentors helped us make some of our most important early hires and also helped introduce us to investors. At the start, we had no experience in running a company so the advice from VMS was crucial in helping us make the transition from idea to product to market success."
Officially, ProtonMail is a Switzerland-based company under the name Proton Technologies AG. Their transparency report, however, does not disclose the degree to which the company is owned and/or controlled by US entities.

Last edited by WheelDeal : 30 Mar 2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 09:25 PM   #30
TenFour
Master of the @

So you won't do business with companies that have American investors? That eliminates a high-percentage of tech companies. In any case, I don't see any real evidence that the NSA or anyone has a backdoor into ProtonMail. Personally, I doubt there is any real communications privacy if a state-level entity wants to target you. For the rest of us, the main reason to use an encrypted provider is for protection from hackers stealing our private information and to prevent tech companies from scanning and using the information for ad targeting.