EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Feb 2004, 11:03 PM   #1
vidutis

saving stored e-mails to CD disk

I have over 200 e-mails stored in Fastmail and now want to transfer them to a CD to archive where I work. I can't figure out how to do that. Can somebody please help?

Thanks.

Rich Vidutis
vidutis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Feb 2004, 11:05 PM   #2
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Download them throught POP or IMAP into your local hard drive. From your computer you can do normal data writing to your CD-R medias.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2004, 06:40 PM   #3
deeaar

Otherwise archive them from options > folders and then write them onto a CD. That's what I did
deeaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2004, 07:51 PM   #4
cosffm

Quote:
Originally posted by deeaar
Otherwise archive them from options > folders and then write them onto a CD. That's what I did
Great feature! I was wondering about that, too. I just did it and noticed that the emails are .eml files. As I am not using a desktop client right now is it possible to convert these messages to .txt files for instance? Or can you read .eml files using a text editor? I haven`t tried that yet.

Or would you recommend just setting up the account in OE and importing the archived .eml messages - I hope there is an import feature! :-)
cosffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2004, 08:19 PM   #5
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally posted by cosffm
Great feature! I was wondering about that, too. I just did it and noticed that the emails are .eml files. As I am not using a desktop client right now is it possible to convert these messages to .txt files for instance? Or can you read .eml files using a text editor? I haven`t tried that yet.

Or would you recommend just setting up the account in OE and importing the archived .eml messages - I hope there is an import feature! :-)
.eml files are plain-text files (mail messages including all headers) - you can read them with any plain-text editor.

There is an Import feature in OE (File, Import) - but you shouldn't need to use it if you set up the account.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 08:43 PM   #6
cosffm

Thank you, Daniel. So, I have both options and could use either OE or just search the archives and read them with an editor.

Great!
cosffm is offline   Reply With Quote