EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 24 Oct 2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Wolters

How to archive AND MOVE mail out from Gmail?

So my Gmail inbox is growing and it there seems to be an arcvhive function for this which will move the mail away from the inbox to the All Mail folder.

But what if you want to MOVE all mail in a certain date span and archive them locally, that is "take them home" so to speak? Is there a way to specify that you would like to download all the mails in the inbox from this date until that date and then when downloaded they are deleted from the inbox and All mail folders?
Wolters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Oct 2010, 11:50 PM   #2
ReuvenNY

I don't have an answer to your question, but when my Gmail box started getting real full, I upgraded for $5 a year to an additional 20GB for a total of about 27.5GB. It also lets you use this apace for Picasaweb albums.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Wolters

Good alternative, but not really what I was looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
I don't have an answer to your question, but when my Gmail box started getting real full, I upgraded for $5 a year to an additional 20GB for a total of about 27.5GB. It also lets you use this apace for Picasaweb albums.
Thanks Raven! That could be a solution, but what I am really after is to get an Gmail account with FEWER items in the inbox AND in the All Mail folder. Searching and loading AND working with an already very sluggish Outlook 2010 will be much faster if I could, in some way, off-load some of the e-mails that just do not have to be on-line and simmering in the inbox or All Mail folder at Gmail...

What would have been ideal, would be to have an archival function at Gmail, and from which I could download all the emails that I really do not HAVE to have online, but maybe, in the future would like to be able to retract.

So I am envisioning something that would enable me to log into my email account and specify a date span and then download all the emails within that datespan to my local hard drive. It could even be in pdf-format for easy searching, or some other file format which could later be imported into any email client should it be necessary.
Wolters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2010, 02:01 AM   #4
Sherry

Moderator:

Wolters, I have moved your thread to the "Google Gmail Forum".

Welcome to EMD
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2010, 05:59 AM   #5
jon348fmf

Hi Wolters, your asking for quite a bit!!!! maybe if it could read your email as well... that would be perfect.

other than deleting the files off of the gmail server, an IMAP connection might be what your looking for. IMAP adds quite a few features to a pop setup. The nice thing is that everything that is done online to the service is matched on the client. so if you move a bunch of messages into a new label on the server, that info is mirrored in your email client.

You could perform a google search online and put all of the items between a certain date into a folder/label of your choice using the manual google search features and that info would show up in your email client.

Your biggest problem is that you want to keep every message that is sent to you. One possibility is to setup your outlook to use pop and then uses MS Outlook functions to archive your messages.

just some thoughts at this point,

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolters View Post
Thanks Raven! That could be a solution, but what I am really after is to get an Gmail account with FEWER items in the inbox AND in the All Mail folder. Searching and loading AND working with an already very sluggish Outlook 2010 will be much faster if I could, in some way, off-load some of the e-mails that just do not have to be on-line and simmering in the inbox or All Mail folder at Gmail...

What would have been ideal, would be to have an archival function at Gmail, and from which I could download all the emails that I really do not HAVE to have online, but maybe, in the future would like to be able to retract.

So I am envisioning something that would enable me to log into my email account and specify a date span and then download all the emails within that datespan to my local hard drive. It could even be in pdf-format for easy searching, or some other file format which could later be imported into any email client should it be necessary.
jon348fmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:09 AM   #6
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

You can use Mailstore Home to backup / archive your gmail on your computer: http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx
alexu2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2010, 03:00 PM   #7
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

There's no direct way of doing this, but here's an idea. Create a label in Gmail called "[From date] to [To date]" with the date range that you want to clear out. Do a simple search in Gmail and find all the emails within that date range. Apply that label to all the search results. Go to Gmail's IMAP settings and make sure that label is set to show on IMAP.

Then use an IMAP client to log into Gmail. Go to the folder for that label, select all the emails in there, and drag and drop them into a local folder on your email client.

Go back to Gmail, find all the email with that label. Delete them all (Select All => Select all mail with this label => Delete) from Gmail.

That should achieve the end you want.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2010, 05:35 PM   #8
nickywilliam
= Permanently banned =

Best site

That could be a solution i think but you must consider to try other site for you to find much solution regarding on your question.
nickywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote