EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 7 Sep 2008, 10:23 AM   #16
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldarin View Post
It is not much. Screenshot.
Correct. It was basically a header change to add sub-menus to access other sections a little quicker.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2008, 11:07 PM   #17
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Moldarin for your response. I agree that there isn't much change. Some of the buttons, if they can be called that are still small and dim.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2008, 11:44 PM   #18
Moldarin

They are not really buttons either. Just text links.

Overall, the RMM interface is not very good at all.

If you like Runbox's service, like I do, you can try interacting with it using a third party IMAP reader. I recommend the web-based SquirrelMail. It is quite easy to set up. Else, you could use a desktop client such as Opera M2, KMail (for KDE), or Thunderbird.
Moldarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2008, 08:02 AM   #19
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I'm interested in using Squirrel to access some of my email accounts. Could you explain a bit more as to how it is done? I am not familiar with this part of email.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 09:03 AM   #20
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Many Runbox users actually prefer the simpler interface. I have Yahoo, Gmail and SquirrelMail-based accounts and I prefer the Runbox interface. Gmail actually brings my browser, Firefox, to a crawl after a while of being logged on.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2008, 10:16 AM   #21
kingofpenguins
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I'm interested in using Squirrel to access some of my email accounts. Could you explain a bit more as to how it is done? I am not familiar with this part of email.
You'd probably have to set up php and Squirrelmail on your computer (or if you have your own personal server, you can use that too). I don't think that there is any place where Squirrelmail is already set up for use for Runbox.

You can read Squirrelmail's Administrator's Manual, which covers installing and setting up Squirrelmail.

Also, Squirrelmail is just a web-based IMAP client, so if you are experiencing performance problems with Runbox's IMAP, it (theoretically) won't be any better than with another client.
kingofpenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2008, 10:26 AM   #22
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Secondly, if all the style and script behaviour were moved out of the HTML pages and into cachable scripts and stylesheets...
Most of it already is, although some remnants exist. While implementing the new header I actually replaced a number of "unnecessary" elements with stylesheet classes, in case you didn't notice.

We have postponed a complete code cleanup in anticipation of a larger design upgrade, which has been in the works for a while. Instead of waiting any longer we decided to implement the new header as a first step.
Quote:
The page is built on tables. ... Tables are not intended to be used in designs.
Tables are intended for displaying tabular data, which constitues most of the Runbox web interface.
Quote:
I told Geir and Hans all these things about a year ago. I applied for a job at Runbox.
While some of your points are still valid and we thank you for pointing them out, we are mainly looking for system engineers who can efficiently bring the web interface forward.
Quote:
Unfortunately, they where not interested in improving the RMM website at the time.
This is simply untrue.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2008, 10:35 AM   #23
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajonez View Post
It has been a while since any visual updates have occurred and I'm quite excited by the changes. (Perhaps I should get out more!)
Glad to hear it, Henry! And when you do go out, be sure to bring a mobile phone with an email client.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2008, 04:29 PM   #24
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
We have postponed a complete code cleanup in anticipation of a larger design upgrade, which has been in the works for a while. Instead of waiting any longer we decided to implement the new header as a first step.
Now I become curious. Can you already tell us a bit more about it?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2008, 07:45 PM   #25
hajonez
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
I suppose when it comes to interfaces there is a fair amount of subjectivity. The current trend in online email services is to attempt to recreate desktop email clients online. Runbox has never tried to do this, instead aiming for a clean, light and functional look. I think they've achieved this well and I certainly find their web interface the most aesthetically pleasing and functional of any of the online email accounts I use.

What's good for one is not good for another but I think claiming that the "RMM interface is not very good at all" is perhaps a little too strong. It works well for me and doesn't get in the way of what I am doing, which is exactly how an interface ought to work in my opinion.

- Henry
hajonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 01:09 AM   #26
SCPat

No Navigation on Files page

I went to my Files area today for the first time since the upgrade (which I really like!).

Instead of the navigation area, all I have are nine dashes on the left of my screen.

I'm using Firefox 3.0, and while I do use pop-up blocker and java-script blocker add-ons, both are to allow Runbox.com.

SCPat
Happy Runbox user since 2002
SCPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2008, 06:19 AM   #27
digp
Master of the @

I quite like the runbox interface!

It seems reliability is still an issue though.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2008, 08:27 AM   #28
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I would like runbox better if the links were larger and easier to see. They seem a bit small and faded to me.
Old 28 Sep 2008, 07:49 PM   #29
vazwaz

I find Runbox reliable, meaning that I receive all messages that are sent to me and messages I send always arrive at the recipients inbox.
Spam filtering is good once the rules have been set up.
The only major gripe I have is that the system is really really slow.

cheers,
Robin
vazwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2008, 02:35 AM   #30
suzi

I was using dial-up for a while so I've been using Fast Runbox which meant I've only just seen the new design. It gets a big thumbs up from me!

It doesn't feel any slower to me and will cut down on the amount of pages I need to load (in Manager I use Filter the most, for example). Personally, I've always preferred the Runbox interface over any other I've tried.
suzi is offline   Reply With Quote