EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 27 Sep 2002, 02:52 AM   #1
french_made

www.com

www.com offers a free email account with up to 7 MBs of storage space.
When I read the Terms of Service this is what I found out,

The free email Service offered by MyMail@www.com is operated through services powered by BigMailBox.com, Inc. ("BigMailBox.com"), under the terms and conditions contained in this document (referred to as "Terms and Conditions"). BY COMPLETING THE REGISTRATION FORM AND CLICKING THE "I ACCEPT" BUTTON, YOU ARE INDICATING YOUR AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS set forth in this document.

1. ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS OF SERVICE
As a member of the Service you may receive product/service announcements or other member mailings from MyMail@www.com, BigMailBox.com, Inc. or third parties. When you provide a notification email address upon registration, you agree to receive email notification and other messages at that address including, without limitation, offers sponsored or delivered by BigMailBox.com, Inc. or third parties. To unsubscribe from the mailings to your web-based email account sent from or on behalf of BigMailBox.com, Inc., you must cancel your membership by following the instructions provided in your options folder.
3. MEMBER OBLIGATIONS
In consideration for this Service, you agree to provide certain information about yourself as prompted to do so by the Service, and update this information as necessary to keep it current, complete and accurate. All information requested on original sign up shall be referred to as registration data ("Registration Data"). Furthermore, you are granting BigMailBox.com and/or MyMail@www.com the right to disclose to third parties certain information about you. If any information provided by you is inaccurate, BigMailBox.com retains the right to terminate your membership and all associated rights to the Service. We may share, rent or sell your Registration Data to THIRD PARTIES as outlined in Paragraph 1. After the transfer of your Registration Data to a THIRD PARTY, Members who wish to unsubscribe from that THIRD PARTY'S emails must contact THIRD PARTY directly. Neither BigMailBox.com nor MyMail@www.com can assist you with removal of emails or solicitations from the THIRD PARTY.
french_made is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Nov 2003, 01:11 PM   #2
mramazan
Essential Contributor

www.com FOR FEE

www.com is no more powered by "BigMailBox.com".
Thay have changed their structure and now thay DO NOT offer free accounts. All the previous free accounts has been de-activated.
mramazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2003, 04:28 PM   #3

What a strange domain name! Is the address www.www.com or is it http://www.com, or is the address just .com?!
Old 7 Nov 2003, 05:21 AM   #4
sparky752

Its www.www.com
sparky752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2003, 05:23 AM   #5
Spin
The "e" in e-mail

That is a strange domain name. To many W's

Old 7 Nov 2003, 05:33 AM   #6
Edwin
 Administrator 

It's a very clever domain to own as I bet (on average) a LOT of people type in www.com by accident at some point or another and end up at their site. In other words, they must get thousands of free visitors every day.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2003, 06:48 AM   #7
Spin
The "e" in e-mail

I think I typed it in just to see if it was a site.

Old 9 Nov 2003, 02:29 AM   #8
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Another clever pair of domains I once came across is www.fishing.net, and (for MS-DOS users) www.command.com.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2003, 02:56 AM   #9
georgejs

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
Another clever pair of domains I once came across is www.fishing.net and (for MS-DOS users) www.command.com
Hey Robert,

www.command.com - I have not seen that screen in a LONG time. It would be a good, safe trick to play on other (ex-) DOS users. Thanks for sharing.

George
georgejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2003, 05:58 PM   #10
mramazan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by sparky752
Its www.www.com
They also claim:
www.com ... The web starts here!

Last edited by mramazan : 10 Nov 2003 at 06:04 PM.
Old 9 Feb 2008, 12:40 AM   #11
mramazan
Essential Contributor

free service started

Just checked today and found that www.www.com is offering free service again now.
Old 9 Feb 2008, 01:52 AM   #12
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Signup doesn't work for me. At least it doesn't appear to. I tried several user names but each time, after submitting my signup data and clicking on "continue" I was brought back to the main web page and although I saw no error messages, when I clicked on the login link and attempted to login, my user name/password weren't accepted.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2008, 02:16 AM   #13
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Question WWW.com?

xmailer, this www.com does not accept user names shorter than 6 characters in length, a major drawback for a free or paid email application. Thus its usefulness to me is zero. The original www.com accepted a minimum of three characters as did most free email services then and now. I had an account at www.com until they unceremoniously threw out free users. Eventually www.com went to a Google Gmail application, but now their current interface indicates that it is something else. So they went from a Gmail apps to a "superior" email platform provider? Just what would that be?

WWW.com seems to have all the drawbacks of a standard Gmail account with its username restrictions, but is not a Gmail apps? Strange. I have many Gmail apps and they do not restrict usernames like Gmail proper does. Finally, "sign up for free" is not always synonymous with a "free", no strings attached account. Also, since this service is offered by a domain registrar instead of another type of web service or pure email only provider, I'm going to bypass it because in my experince with free accounts offered by domain registration services, it won't be around that long.

Finally, it seems most usernames that fit within the parameters of this service are not available. Therefore, I cannot get back my old account or anything like it, so forget it. I'll wait for the next incarnation of this web service. Maybe they'll get it right next time.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2008, 02:48 AM   #14
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

If the user names I tried were already taken, it certainly wasn't very helpful of them to simply return me to the main page without telling me that or giving me an error message of any kind. But I was only checking it out of "idle" curiosity, the only thing it might have going for it perhaps being the short, simple domain name, since I too doubted the service itself would be much to get excited about. And of course a good user name or domain name isn't worth much if it's with a service which isn't, as I've learned many times.
Old 9 Feb 2008, 03:32 AM   #15
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

*ahem* Correction

As I was about to close the www.com window (or FF tab to be more precise), I realized an oversight I'd made, forcing me for the second time to admit with some embarrassment to the same "blunder" I made on a previous occasion, proving that the problem in this case was at the *ahem* "user end." Specifically, only having somewhat recently begun using the FireFox NoScript extension/plugin, I'd forgotten that same was enabled for this site. That is to say, that scripts were disabled, which was apparently what was preventing the registration page from functioning properly for me.

So, as reluctant as I might be to disable NoScript for a site I have little or no knowledge about, I decided to take a chance this time and did so, which enabled me to open an account, if not with a particularly good user name, given the service's restrictions on same.

As it turns out, their "new" webmail interface is an implementation of Roundcube, I'm not sure which version, and it appears to offer "unlimited" disk space. It's also by far one of the smoothest functioning implementations of Roundcube I've tried, although offhand I haven't specifically compared its available features and functioning to other implementations, but since I'm not sure I have tried many others using Firefox, I'm not sure how meaningful any comparison's I might make between them might be anyway. Nor have I done any testing at all for reliability, having thus far not tried sending or receiving any messages, although I still share somewhat the "King"'s reservations about the likely reliability/longevity, etc. of the service. But FWIW...

Edit. Initial test messages sent to/from Gmail arrived promptly and there's no tagline on outgoing messages. However, I haven't attempted to access by POP or IMAP, nor do I see any sign of any detailed information about the service at the site, so AFAIK it may be webmail only.

Last edited by xmailer : 9 Feb 2008 at 03:52 AM.