EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 17 May 2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Agx

Yahoo Mail: some one still use it?

Hi!

Actually some one still use Yahoo Mail as default mail address?

I have an old, very old, mail address that I have used for some time as my default email address... but now... what do you think about their service?

I read that yahoo is the most hacked mail service... it's true? I never have this sort of problem, but i'm using a very strong password and good question/reply recovery on all my digital service.
Agx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 May 2015, 10:47 PM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agx View Post
Hi!

I have an old, very old, mail address that I have used for some time as my default email address... but now... what do you think about their service?

I read that yahoo is the most hacked mail service... it's true? I never have this sort of problem, but i'm using a very strong password and good question/reply recovery on all my digital service.
yahoo stands for old time. I have my full name with it, but never used it.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2015, 12:48 AM   #3
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I still have a Yahoo! account that I opened many years ago. I've intended to close it several times, but have never followed through. It's not an account that I use for anything important. I simply check it occasionally to see what improvements have been made. Yahoo! continues to make improvements in the service. It's still not anywhere close to the level of Outlook.com or Gmail. I find it unavailable for brief periods very frequently. What I experience is that previous messages display, but the service is otherwise frozen. I continue to get hundreds of spam messages, 90+% of which are correctly filed in spam folder. For example, after not checking messages for a about 3 days, there were 240 messages in my spam folder.
On other hand, some of the other Yahoo! properties such as weather and Flickr have improved significantly. Flickr introduced a make-over last week that makes it a very attractive photo service with automatic backups of all of your photos from all devices.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2015, 02:08 AM   #4
libCognition

Yahoo voluntarily exposed (to the Chinese government) the identity of a forum owner for which the forums topic was democracy -- without a warrant.

It lead to the man's incarceration. Want to support that? Continue using Yahoo.

Also note that Yahoo blocks inbound traffic purely on the basis of whether the IP is dynamic. It's a crude and reckless (but cost-saving) attempt at blocking spam which neglects content analysis and blocks legitimate e-mail as well. The practice is despicable by EFF standards. Overall it's a terrible service for civil libertarians.

Last edited by libCognition : 18 May 2015 at 02:16 AM.
libCognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2015, 11:46 PM   #5
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

One of my primary accounts is Yahoo! Mail. I am satisfied with it.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2015, 04:32 PM   #6
ericmass

yahoo password recovery

First of all if you use your yahoo account on different computer so there may be a chance of hacking, if you use it on your personal computer so don't worry your account password will recover soon you just call yahoo customer care number and avail there help.
ericmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2015, 04:28 AM   #7
CelticBlackCat
Essential Contributor

I have a total of 6 Yahoo! accounts, 4 are @yahoo.com and 2 are @ymail.com. I don't use many of them for anything serious and I got my fullname @ yahoo when I first entered the Internet world in 2002. Some are just alias-like accounts for different functions or concerning my work, but not my true business address. I wouldn't open a new one for anything serious anymore.

What I don't like now is the forced sponsored ad on the top of the inbox! The spam filter is a joke; there used to be a spam filter, now it appears they just filter every spam email in the Interwebs to the spam box.

In the past, Yahoo! made some things I relied on in my serious account inaccessible or unusable, such as the notepad and the calendar. Too many down times, glitches, bugs, etc. to even use it, so I moved on to Google, gmail, and others.

Basically, if you just need an email address to fool around with or enter sweepstakes, or sign up for forums or anything that you won't be checking on or using, that's all it's good for nowadays. Also, don't forget, Yahoo! has a tendency to "improve" things and discontinue something you might have liked and relied upon.
CelticBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2015, 08:40 AM   #8
chrisretusn

My experience has been quite different. I use Yahoo! Mail for four accounts. One is a primary account, one is used for a specific purpose, the other two are best described as a "business" accounts for a small non-profit (club) I am the current leader of. One of those accounts was passed down to me from the former leader. It was created several year ago. The other club account is for our bookkeepers use. All of these accounts are accessed from my main computer at home using Claws Mail via POP3 or IMAP4 so I miss out on ads showing up when using the web interface (ad blocker take care of those).

The passed on club account is accessed using IMAP from at home, the web at the club and on my smart phone (android) the Yahoo! Mail App. The passed down account gets the most spam out of the four Yahoo's spam filters do a good job at catching them. There was some in there this morning in fact. Once in a while a good message gets placed in spam but not very often. I cannot recall the last time spam hit the Inbox. The bookkeeper's account is accessed from the club via the web, my bookkeeper also accesses as needed from other locations. It sole purpose is to provide an email address to use with the BIR, SEC, SSS, etc.

My primary account is accessed at home using POP3, after downloading message are deleted. I also access this account using the Yahoo! Mail App. I get very little spam in the account. Last spam in that account was received on May 5, 2015 "You have a new notification from... some unknown, link goes to Flipmailer.com (scam).

My other account has never received spam. It's been active for several years. I access this account only from at home using POP3 like my primary account. Very few know this address.

The only problem I have had with Yahoo! Mail is on downloading messages from my primary account. sometimes I get timed out while downloading. Checking that account again gets the rest. Very rare, is a stuck message, one that will not download. (This has happened on Gmail before too.) Finding the offending message(s) is a hunt and peck operation from the web interface. It hard to tell which of the remaining messages is causing the problem. Once the problem message(s) are deleted all is back to normal.

I don't use any other the extras like calendar or notepad, I don't even use the contact list except for my club account. Addresses are maintained in Claws Mail only.
Old 11 Jun 2015, 09:38 AM   #9
CelticBlackCat
Essential Contributor

Today I found another extension for Google Chrome called Webmail Ad Blocker which specifically targets the ads inside Google, Yahoo!, Hotmail and Outlook. It is working on keeping that sponsored ad off the top of my Yahoo! Mail emails.

I stopped using an email client on my PC a long time ago when I used to use Outlook Express and then switched to Mozilla Thunderbird. It crashed once and I lost all my saved emails and folders. I like everything online and in the cloud now, however, the drawback to that is relying on a website for something and having that website go south on you! Right now (and now we're moving off topic ) I can't access my income manager online because the website is down with a database error, and I don't know how long that will last. I relied on Intuit a long time ago for my invoicing, and they went kaput. Everything comes with a risk!

Not all of my accounts get continuous spam, just some.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
CelticBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2015, 06:45 AM   #10
Gankaku

I don't use yahoo as my main account, but I do have one and haven't had issues with. My son does however, and I don't think he's had any issues either.

Yahoo in general (services, company) has gotten better over the years. If they didn't they would fail. They've been good about keeping their apps looking nice and up-to-date, and eliminating services that no one uses or that are money drains to the company. Their email has great space! (unlimited I think?!) and Flickr service now has a huge amount of space for photos.

I can't say anything about the release of information to authorities, but I usually don't have to worry about that stuff. I think these companies do want to protect their customers, but when it comes to some of the evil stuff that's going around in the world, well, I would say if I were a criminal I'd not be using most of the main services anyway to do business.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2015, 04:55 AM   #11
Just Bill

Quote:

Yahoo mail is extremely easy to hack into. Thus, it is the most hacked email service. I would never use it.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2015, 12:54 PM   #12
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Yahoo mail is extremely easy to hack into.
Really? Tell me more...
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2015, 07:29 PM   #13
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agx View Post
Hi!

I never used Yahoo as my default address.
Actually I stopped using Yahoo at all years ago.
Waste of time
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2015, 01:00 AM   #14
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

I have two yahoo addresses (.co.uk and .fr) and use them occasionally. No problems.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2015, 07:01 PM   #15
chrisretusn

Just thinking.... seems to me that this could be region related. A lot of folks here have yahoo.com and/or yahoo.com.ph accounts. Never really hear of complaints.