EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Feb 2019, 11:43 AM   #1
mua34

Fastmail - fetch more frequently

I signed up for a 30 day free trial on fastmail.com and it has been great so far but there is one thing I can't figure out.

I set up a POP fetch account and it says it will fetch every 5 min when logged in and every hour when logged out. 1 hour is too long so I'm hoping there's a way to fetch more frequently. Any ideas?
mua34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Feb 2019, 01:05 PM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

That's how it's going to behave in the webmail when not explicitly initiating a fetch. Your email client on the other hand will fetch whatever is on the servers at the time it fetches it. So the actual polling time for a client is determined by that client. And like the webmail you can force a fetch in the client too.

Try it for yourself. Send an email to yourself in your client. It won't take 5 minutes (whether you logged into the webmail or not) to come back to your client's inbox (assuming it polls faster than that). Or force the fetch from the client using it's "get mail" or however it words it.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2019, 03:53 PM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

For a long time, much better than polling your legacy accounts using POP fetch was to automatically forward messages from your legacy accounts to FastMail. If you want near immediate delivery, that is still how it must be done. Unfortunately, there is now a drawback. Without going into a lot of technical detail, messages received at FastMail that have been forwarded may fail DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting and Conformance). This can make false positives on spam checks more likely.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote