EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 29 Jun 2012, 02:38 AM   #76
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR_Hyper View Post
What other ESP have you tired to use? Something for such a low price may seem like the best option, but with something so cheap would you really expect fantastic service
1) Welcome to the forum.

2) It is not clear where your question is directed. I mean, which person in the thread are you asking?

3) Did you mean ISP? (Sending messages reliably via ESP is not yet an option, though I'm sure someone is working on it!) In any case, we are not talking here about using an Internet Service Provider as an email provider. Were you trying to use ISP as a general term for email provider? Most ISP's do offer email, but not every email provider is an ISP.

4) Price is no guarantee of quality, on the Internet or anywhere else in life, and certainly not in the case of email. There are many very good free or inexpensive services, and you can pay a lot without getting any particular benefit for your money.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2012, 03:22 AM   #77
davy51
Master of the @

Seems we have some new people that have joined the thread which is great

We are discussing VFE mail downtime it crashed almost two weeks ago

For those and any others that haven't participated in many email services
No email service no matter the cost is problem free

All services have down time sooner or later even FM and Bluebottle have been down

Email is just like the internet nothing is a 100% secure or infallible

Some here know I've been on both ends of email services and I've yet to find one that's up a 100% of the time that's why i choose a couple of the best and have all email and correspondence go to both

Its a natural backup plan
And that's why if one of my services go down I personally don't lose much

Many of the older members here know that to backup on more than one service is the smart thing to do

Anyone that asks can be directed in how to do it

As far as VFE I would say it will be back with just a matter of time

It has in the past been a fairly good service and may be in the future
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2012, 04:03 AM   #78
BR_Hyper

Representative of:
HyperMail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
1) Welcome to the forum.

2) It is not clear where your question is directed. I mean, which person in the thread are you asking?

3) Did you mean ISP? (Sending messages reliably via ESP is not yet an option, though I'm sure someone is working on it!) In any case, we are not talking here about using an Internet Service Provider as an email provider. Were you trying to use ISP as a general term for email provider? Most ISP's do offer email, but not every email provider is an ISP.

4) Price is no guarantee of quality, on the Internet or anywhere else in life, and certainly not in the case of email. There are many very good free or inexpensive services, and you can pay a lot without getting any particular benefit for your money.
Thank you for the welcome, I guess it is obvious that Im new to this.

1) I don't mean ISP, ESP as in email service provider

but I think i may have been mistaken by what was being talked about. I was talking about bulk email services. as in email marketing. Sorry for the mis understanding and thanks for the warm welcome everyone
BR_Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2012, 04:43 AM   #79
peter_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
1)

2) Regarding vmail.me, I wonder whether your own experience with them has been better in this connection, especially since you include them in your list of a few "stable providers."
Apologies, I must have erroneously grouped vmail.me along with those 2 I regard as large stable providers - really only meant to try it...seeing your initial feedback, I'd rather hold off from doing so...

Back to VFEmail: my deliveries are on average 72 hours (!!!) late, so for someone waiting to hear about a job interview, bad news obviously. (and a reason to consider abandoning VFE)
Also occasionally service dies (with appropriate warnings from Thunderbird).
Other "funny things" going on are I suddenly have blind duplicates of all my email from 2003 until August 2011 in Inbox,
and of course, 1 full year of email remains gone to the ethers just like for anybody else at VFEmail...
Oh well, I would still advocate abandoning it... One cannot compare outages at FM (and appropriate actions/response taken during those), as well as infrastructure/drive/commitment behind with the situation at VFEmail.
For some like FM, outages stood as testament to the solid service built, for others like VFEmail they highlight the vulnerabilities which will remain. Hence, VFEmail is not appropriate for anything remotely important like a job interview someone mentioned is expecting to hear about.
I'm playing with Yandex and GMX.com as my second backups for precisely those purposes by the way.
peter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2012, 06:52 AM   #80
abovetheclouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_x View Post
Back to VFEmail: my deliveries are on average 72 hours (!!!) late...
I can confirm those 72 hours. now received another mail from Monday
abovetheclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2012, 03:39 PM   #81
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy51 View Post
And that's why if one of my services go down I personally don't lose much
Many of the older members here know that to backup on more than one service is the smart thing to do
Anyone that asks can be directed in how to do it
As far as VFE I would say it will be back with just a matter of time
It has in the past been a fairly good service and may be in the future
While it's true that all services have downtime, it's a matter of degree. Some services have a nearly perfect record. I personally would not accept lost messages or such a long outage from an email service provider.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2012, 09:13 AM   #82
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

I just registered an email account with vfemail.net just for testing purposes.

The page containing the signup form took forever to load after completting the form and submiting it. However I received an email containing the password for my new email account.

I logged into my account and I tried to send a test email to my main email account (eumx) but I received an error and the email was not sent:

"There was an error sending your message: LOGIN authentication failure [SMTP: Invalid response code received from server (code: -1, response: )]"

Also the emails sent from other accounts never reach the inbox at vfemail.net.
alexu2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2012, 09:59 AM   #83
cahero

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexu2007 View Post
I just registered an email account with vfemail.net just for testing purposes.

The page containing the signup form took forever to load after completting the form and submiting it. However I received an email containing the password for my new email account.

I logged into my account and I tried to send a test email to my main email account (eumx) but I received an error and the email was not sent:

"There was an error sending your message: LOGIN authentication failure [SMTP: Invalid response code received from server (code: -1, response: )]"

Also the emails sent from other accounts never reach the inbox at vfemail.net.
At this point mail is arriving at approximately the same speed as using the United States Post Office...so a 3 day delivery time is to be expected
cahero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2012, 10:11 AM   #84
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Gosh that's terrible. Why use such a service?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2012, 01:23 PM   #85
cahero

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Gosh that's terrible. Why use such a service?
Used it for years, but I'm obviously not anymore...at this point nobody really is using it.....
Old 3 Jul 2012, 12:15 AM   #86
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

latest from rick's vfemail forum

For those of you who are following the saga, here is Rick's latest update on his forum. I wish he had posted this here himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're currently running on the backup server. This server is woefully underpowered and you will experience slowness.

The primary server is being restored right now. Once complete you will 'fall back' to a mailbox snapshot from May 13th. We will then copy all mail delivered in the last 2 weeks to the main server.

Delivery delays - There are about 60,000 messages that are in limbo, waiting to be delivered. This is due to extremely slow deliveries on the backup server. The incomnig mail servers were VMs, and I've cannibalized the VM host to be the primary server. Once the VM's for incoming mails are brought back up on new hardware (after the restore is complete), those emails will be delivered.

I deeply regret the delays in service restoration and lack of communication. Unfortunately due to other circumstances, I have not been available to resolve these issues in a more timely manner.

Rick
Old 3 Jul 2012, 01:11 AM   #87
abovetheclouds

thanks for posting this here.

I was already wondering what's going on. webmail was showing only empty folders, but over mail client I've got some messages, like 5 new ones or so, but in a strange way distributed over the days, 4 from yesterday and one from last week Wednesday.

good to know there is something happening behind the scenes.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 07:32 AM   #88
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Good to know they are trying to get things back to norm.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2012, 01:28 PM   #89
cahero

I believe that the latest info from the vfemail forum states that certain emails are unrecoverable....so users will have to accept this reality. Fortunately for me I had been forwarding my most important email.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 09:21 PM   #90
abovetheclouds

Seems things work faster now. Actually, I found some messages appearing in the trash instead of the inbox.