EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Nov 2005, 05:20 PM   #31
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Free vs. pay

There's no reason to pay for email. I've done it and it's no better than free email. Paying and being ripped off is far worse than not paying and being disappointed. My last pay for service email account did in fact place ads in the box and had incoming spam even though I never circulated the address.

Never pay for email.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 06:17 PM   #32
Shelded

Oh. Silly me.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 06:34 PM   #33
pin
Essential Contributor

Re: Free vs. pay

Quote:
Originally posted by King Of Email
There's no reason to pay for email. I've done it and it's no better than free email. Paying and being ripped off is far worse than not paying and being disappointed. My last pay for service email account did in fact place ads in the box and had incoming spam even though I never circulated the address.

Never pay for email.
Oh, right. Silly me. I'll just stop paying for email and loose all the features I need. I'll rely on a webinterface for my email and use someone elses domain so I have to tell everyone of my new email address every time I change.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 11:17 PM   #34
adam15c
Essential Contributor

Re: Re: Free vs. pay

Quote:
Originally posted by pin
Oh, right. Silly me. I'll just stop paying for email and loose all the features I need. I'll rely on a webinterface for my email and use someone elses domain so I have to tell everyone of my new email address every time I change.
I must admit I am considering using just free. My ISP BTYahoo Broadband, provides me with 2gb storage as does Gmail. Both allow me to change the from address to my own domain name. After the FM problems at the weekend I now forward my mail to FM, my ISP & Gmail instead of having FM host my domain (virtual).

I use sieve to move mail into folders with FM. But I can does this with my ISP and with filters at Gmail. Both provide me with pop access and with auto BCC in Opera I always have a copy of my mail on the server.

As of yet I'm not totally convinced this is the way to go but it is a consideration.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 11:57 PM   #35
mf1941
Essential Contributor

Free vs Paid?

I'd submit it's all up to how valuable is your email to you.

Is your livelihood tied to your email?

If so like me you probably don't want an ad-based revenue stream model protecting your online correspondance.

Trading photos of puppies & forwarding wisdom filled chain letters?

A free account would most likely suit your needs, It's all relative.

Getting ripped off ... Like anything else.. caveat emptor.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 12:53 AM   #36
hellie
Essential Contributor

Hi Kobukan,

Beware BT Yahoo broadband they are my ISP and they lost all my emails. Help was very difficult to find!!!

Did you know they are now offering free McAfee firewall and AV?

Helen
Old 19 Nov 2005, 02:04 AM   #37
adam15c
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by hellie
Hi Kobukan,

Beware BT Yahoo broadband they are my ISP and they lost all my emails. Help was very difficult to find!!!

Did you know they are now offering free McAfee firewall and AV?

Helen
Hi Helen,

Really! I'm not convinced with them yet. I know help is a problem as my broadband went down a couple of weeks ago. They treat you like you are a child and assume you have no knowledge at all.

I tried the free firewall & AV. The firewall was ZA free & the AV was Computer Associates. I had problems with the AV steeling focus every so often, so uninstalled and reinstalled AVG.

Best regards,
Adam
Old 19 Nov 2005, 04:13 AM   #38
hellie
Essential Contributor

Hi Adam,

I know there are issues with them but for me its convenient as it is one 3 monthly bill.

Have you noticed the advertisements with BY Yahoo email?

Thats how I discovered this forum after they lost my emails

Helen
Old 19 Nov 2005, 05:27 AM   #39
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by mf1941

Is your livelihood tied to your email?...

Trading photos of puppies & forwarding wisdom filled chain letters?

I'm not so sure the dichotomy is quite that clean-cut I'm coming around to thinking though that for most average users (not necessarily those just sending chain letters or puppy pics) a lot of the subscription services are wastes of money. A couple of exceptions I've seen are Tuffmail and PumaPost, two of the best bargains out there.

(edit) I'll revise that a little and say that I think the top service levels of most of the subscription services can be a waste of money for the average user. I still think the FM Full account, for example, is a good deal also.

Last edited by rmns2bseen : 19 Nov 2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 03:11 PM   #40
King Of Email

Free vs. pay part II

mf1941, if your livelihood is tied to your email address, then you are in deep doo doo. The only people I know of whose livelihood is exclusively tied to email are spammers. Pay if you want, I could care less. I'm only sharing opinions and options with normal, average users who want free email and aren't pay for service email service reps posting on email discussion boards.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 11:33 AM   #41
Shelded

Re: Free vs. pay part II

Quote:
mf1941, if your livelihood is tied to your email address, then you are in deep doo doo. The only people I know of whose livelihood is exclusively tied to email are spammers. Pay if you want, I could care less. I'm only sharing opinions and options with normal, average users who want free email and aren't pay for service email service reps posting on email discussion boards.
[Moderator: This is too close to a personal attack. It doesn't seem fair to single out and make conclusions of mf1941 when you have not been given the information to make the conclusion. If you can't be nice don't post. Your low post count hasn't earned much positive reputation yet. Review our rules , please ]
Old 20 Nov 2005, 02:43 PM   #42
theog
= Permanently banned =

Re: Free vs. pay part II

Quote:
[b]mf1941, if your livelihood is tied to your email address, then you are in deep doo doo. The only people I know of whose livelihood is exclusively tied to email are spammers.
there is another world here online... I live by email only, for the most part. If a client wants something, they email me. If they want something built, they email me. On all my websites I only accept payment via online. Period. I've never spammed.

A family member only makes a living via ebay... gets orders via paypal, again, email only.

I know "domainers" who only do business online.

Anyway, there is another world online with individuals making an honest living working from home... all, for the most part, done with email. No one I know spams... once you buy a domain, setup your merchant account... you can't afford to spam. I only use double-opt-in (for email), as does my family member.

If I were to spam, my webhost would dump me so quick it would make my domain spin... webhosts can't afford to harbor spammers either....
Old 24 Nov 2005, 03:29 PM   #43
King Of Email

Thumbs down Pay for service promotional site

Shelded, my number of posts on this site may be low but my knowledge of and experience with a variety of email systems and platforms as well as their relative strengths and weakness, advantages and disadvantages is considerable. When one of your members responds to an honest comment of mine with derision and mockery, don't blame me for responding in turn.

While not long here, I have nevertheless come to the conclusion that these discussion boards chiefly serve the purposes of relaying ads and promotionals for pay for service email products, and not frank, unbiased, unsolicited assessments. Since I'm interested in exchanging information about free email services and products that could benefit users and I have no interest in being a part of a pay for service email campaign, consider this my last post.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 06:56 PM   #44
s a
Master of the @

Re: Pay for service promotional site

Quote:
While not long here, I have nevertheless come to the conclusion that these discussion boards chiefly serve the purposes of relaying ads and promotionals for pay for service email products, and not frank, unbiased, unsolicited assessments.
That's a fairly inaccurate conclusion to reach - if you wait for a while you will find that the forum houses a wide variety of users ranging from people you view as promoters to people who actually agree with you.

Last edited by s a : 25 Nov 2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 05:35 AM   #45
gunnarj
Essential Contributor

I agree with King of Email.

As far as he being singled out by a moderator for one of his posts, read the ones directed at him earlier, and you will see they were about equal in terms of 'being nice'.

I've also noticed that as a rule, certain opinions hold more weight here, while others are open to ridicule, without any interference from the ptb.

For MOST people, paid email is just not necessary. Them's the facts jack. That's what King of Email was saying, and he's correct.

KoE's last paragraph is painfully too close to accurate I'm afraid.

gj
Closed Thread