EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Jun 2019, 12:59 AM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Full Screen?

Is there any adjustment to set for Full Screen? When composing i have about three quarters full screen but when looking at my folders such as sent mail etc and other items the screen varies from half screen to three quarters. Seems that there used to be full screen on all items.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Jun 2019, 02:02 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Full single display window always possible when composing a message

The Fastmail user interface has changed over the years in many ways, both major and minor. I think you meant by "full screen" is that you couldn't see the message list or folder list when composing a new message.

Fastmail has several user interfaces, depending on your setup choices (when using a browser from a large screen PC) and which size of device you are using.
  • PC with large screen: Use Settings>General>Preferences>Layout and Theme. You can control the sidebar, reading pane, and more. If you hide both the sidebar (folder list) and reading pane, you will see a full screen window when reading or composing a message.
  • Large portable device (such as a large iPad): Your only Preferences choice is for changing the UI (user interface) display font.The sidebar (folder list) auto-hides, and you always have a reading pane when viewing messages (so messages are not full screen when reading). But composing a message is full screen (huge).
  • Smaller portable device (such as my iPhone 7 Plus, which is one of the larger phones): Your only Preferences choice is for changing the UI (user interface) display font.The sidebar (folder list) auto-hides. There is no reading pane when viewing a message or using the Compose screen. So the display is full screen when reading or composing a message.
Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2019, 08:27 PM   #3
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Bill this info solves my problem I appreciate it
Old 5 Jun 2019, 10:50 PM   #4
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Hey Bil i overdid it I need to get back in to other functions of my Fastmail. How can i show Side Bar where the controls are shown? I should not have removed Side Bar
Old 5 Jun 2019, 11:44 PM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
Hey Bil i overdid it I need to get back in to other functions of my Fastmail. How can i show Side Bar where the controls are shown? I should not have removed Side Bar
To use the FastMail web interface to best effect, you should ensure Keyboard Shortcuts are enabled, and become familiar with https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/kbshortcuts.html.

To access different functions (with Keyboard Shortcuts enabled) you typically use Shift+g followed by some character usually easy to remember. For instance, Shift+g followed by s opens the Settings page
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2019, 12:03 AM   #6
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks BritTim I shall give it a try
Old 6 Jun 2019, 12:34 AM   #7
gj15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
Click the "hamburger" button - the one that has three lines on it. Or if on a mobile interface, touch on the "<" symbol near the top left of the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
  • Large portable device (such as a large iPad): Your only Preferences choice is for changing the UI (user interface) display font.The sidebar (folder list) auto-hides, and you always have a reading pane when viewing messages (so messages are not full screen when reading). But composing a message is full screen (huge).
  • Smaller portable device (such as my iPhone 7 Plus, which is one of the larger phones): Your only Preferences choice is for changing the UI (user interface) display font.The sidebar (folder list) auto-hides. There is no reading pane when viewing a message or using the Compose screen. So the display is full screen when reading or composing a message.
Also on an iPad if you touch and hold the page refresh circular arrow you get a popout allowing you to "Request Desktop Site" which offers some functionality not present in the default mobile interface.
gj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2019, 02:06 AM   #8
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks very much to all responders. I am good now thanks to all for their help
Old 9 Jun 2019, 03:17 PM   #9
slawrenceuk

Quote:
Also on an iPad if you touch and hold the page refresh circular arrow you get a popout allowing you to "Request Desktop Site" which offers some functionality not present in the default mobile interface.
On iPad there is a switch that sets the Fastmail app to use the desktop interface always. You then have the same options to show or hide the sidebar and reading pane that are available on a PC. The switch is in iPad's Settings > Fastmail > Use desktop interface.

(I have Fastmail app version 2.1.4.2112 on iOS 12.3.)
slawrenceuk is offline   Reply With Quote