EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Feb 2002, 09:22 PM   #1
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Consolidate/rename account

I'm just uploading the 'consolidate accounts' and 'rename account' features now.

I think they're pretty self explanatory, but if you have any questions, ask here first.

To summarise:

Consolidate - You enter the name and password of another account you want to consolidate from, and it moves all details of that account into your current account (messages, signatures, service level, payments, etc). The account you consolidate from is left in a zombie state and will be deleted in 7 days.

Rename - Is really a 'create new account, and consolidate into the new account from the current account'. Again, the account you're renaming from is left in a zombie state and will be deleted in 7 days. After renaming, you should logout immediately and log in to your "new" account.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Feb 2002, 09:34 PM   #2
jhs
Essential Contributor

I have a "preview" account (with 100Mb mail box, and valid until 18/4) and I have a full account that I signed up for today. I signed up for the full account to get a shorter username.

If I understand correctly I should consolidate the "preview" account into the full account. Will the expiring date on the full account be increased with the remaining time of the "preview" account? What will the mail box size be on the full account? Will it be 100Mb until 18/4?

--
Jan
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2002, 10:40 PM   #3
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by jhs
If I understand correctly I should consolidate the "preview" account into the full account. Will the expiring date on the full account be increased with the remaining time of the "preview" account? What will the mail box size be on the full account? Will it be 100Mb until 18/4?
Correct on the preview -> full.

Yes, the full account will get an extra 2 months (free), because you're consolidating from a preview account (eg one signed up before Feb 18), and your new full account was signup up after Feb 18. However, you'll only get this once of course. If you consolidate from another preview account, you won't get another 2 months added on again

Your mailbox will get the larger of the two mailbox sizes. This works because for the moment you can only consolidate from:

Guest -> Guest/Member/Full/Enhanced or
Guest/Member/Full/Enhanced -> Guest

The logic for consolidating two different paid up accounts is way too scary

Rob
Old 27 Feb 2002, 10:46 PM   #4
Ann_jr

I want to "change" my username, but it's an address to which I get a lot of mail. Should I create it as an alias before I consolidate, to avoid mail being bounced?
Ann_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2002, 10:48 PM   #5
ikxu

brain dead here

Hi Rob.
Lets us say I have an account with the alias myselfatfastmaildotfm and I want to change it to me_and_myselfatfastmaildotfm
Do I have to create a new account first?? in this case me_and_myself and then transfer from myself to me_and_myself ???? or do I go to my account and do everything from there?
ikxu
ikxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2002, 10:58 PM   #6
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ann_jr
I want to "change" my username, but it's an address to which I get a lot of mail. Should I create it as an alias before I consolidate, to avoid mail being bounced?
When you rename, it automatically creates an alias, and through a little magic enables it immediately

You couldn't create an alias anyway, because it would tell you the name was already in use.

Rob
Old 27 Feb 2002, 11:04 PM   #7
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Re: brain dead here

Quote:
Originally posted by ikxu
Hi Rob.
Lets us say I have an account with the alias myselfatfastmaildotfm and I want to change it to me_and_myselfatfastmaildotfm
Do I have to create a new account first?? in this case me_and_myself and then transfer from myself to me_and_myself ???? or do I go to my account and do everything from there?
ikxu
Aliases and account renaming are completely separate.

If you want to change an alias, just uses the aliases screen to change it.

If you want to rename your account permanently because you upgraded your account and want one of the shorter names, use the rename feature.

If you consolidate accounts, any aliases in the 'consolidate from' account are moved to the account you are consolidating to, and the targets are changed to the account they are moved to.

Hope that helps.

Rob
Old 27 Feb 2002, 11:20 PM   #8
Edwin
 Administrator 

Thanks for the tool, Rob... worked a treat

Edwin - counting himself lucky on having 5 letters in his name
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2002, 11:23 PM   #9
Ann_jr

Thanks, Rob, for the magic and the "doh!". Of course I couldn't have created an alias beforehand.

All went swimmingly except that someone already has my chosen name. Gotta think up another one ...
Old 27 Feb 2002, 11:31 PM   #10
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
What name is it that you wanted?

Rob
Old 27 Feb 2002, 11:48 PM   #11
Ann_jr

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
What name is it that you wanted?
I have sent a message to Webmaster with my choice. I'm guessing you are going to confirm that all is working as it should be, and that indeed someone already has it?
Old 28 Feb 2002, 12:22 AM   #12
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
OK, even after hours of testing at home, nothing like a production environment to show the bugs.

There's a timeout issue with renaming that I've fixed.

The other one is some odd behaviour with account consolidation. I'm disabling consolidation for the moment until I can look into it. It's 3:30AM, so I'm not going to attempt it now

Bed time for me...

Rob
Old 28 Feb 2002, 12:58 AM   #13
Ann_jr

Very interesting; I got halfway there! (I wonder if I got caught the moment Rob disabled consolidation?)

I can't log in to my renamed account using the web interface, but I was able to establish an IMAP connection to it. (I'm sending the details to Webmaster, for when he comes back.)

In the renamed account are the contents of my Inbox and part of one folder.

In the old account, which I can get into via the web, my Inbox was empty (until I sent new mail there). Otherwise, the folders seem to be as they were.

I have confirmed that I can send mail to both accounts, and they go to their respective Inboxes.

I'm sure Rob will make it all right in the morning. In the meantime, caveat renamer !
Old 28 Feb 2002, 01:15 AM   #14

An error with rename account.

FastMail- An error has occured
Unfortunately an unexpected and fatal error occured while trying to retrieve the requested page. We have logged this error and will try and fix the problem as soon as possible.

If you are really curious to know, the error was :

. Error occured at : Failed to get folder list from DB at /home/mod_perl/hm/MailApp/Common.pm line 1787. in at line

For the moment please click the 'Back' button on your browser and try again. If that doesn't work, please go to fastmail.fm and login again.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2002, 01:36 AM   #15

Question Re:

After rename my account, I couldn't login with the new name. As the error above occur, I login by the old name, it said "IMPORTANT: This account is scheduled to be deleted within the next 7 days".
Please give me a solution or advice, thanks Rob&JH.
Kind regards.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote