EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 28 Jun 2019, 07:18 AM   #1
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

How much damage from being marked as spam?

A correspondent has marked a message from my Gmail account as spam out of spite. Will this have any effect on the willingness of providers to accept other innocent messages from that account? Does being marked as spam make it more likely that messages from that address will not reach their addressees?
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Jun 2019, 07:47 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

It depends on the service receiving the emails and how their spam detection is set up. I have seen emails completely blocked to a domain because of one erroneous spam report, but a large service like Gmail would take many factors into consideration. Just today my father reported that Gmail was for some reason reporting my email as suspicious since it was from an "unknown sender," but of course I have been emailing him for years. Spam filtering is an imprecise art. I have occasionally run across spam from some senders that will simply not be blocked no matter how often I report it as spam. In that case, sometimes a filter will work to move the email into trash or spam, but not always.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2019, 08:01 PM   #3
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

test site?

Is there a web site or other service where one can go, enter one's email address, and see how high one's spam score is (or however best to phrase it)? In other words, to check and get an idea how future emails sent from that address are likely to be rated?
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2019, 08:16 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

I doubt you will have a problem with a Gmail address, though your mail might not make it to that particular person's inbox. This tool is for newsletters, but may provide you with some information. http://www.mail-tester.com/
Old 28 Jun 2019, 09:02 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
This tool is for newsletters http://www.mail-tester.com/
From the mail-tester FAQ:
Quote:
All spam filters work differently. What may pass in mail-tester, might not in your own office inbox.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2019, 09:15 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Just for kicks I ran one of my email addresses through mail-tester again and it made 7.7 out of 10, but -1 was because the IP address was listed on two blacklists. That IP is a Google IP address. I have noticed this in the past, which indicates to me that some Google IP addresses can end up on blacklists, but it doesn't seem to stop mail getting through. Anecdotal, but within the past few months it seems to me that I am finding more and more mail miscategorized as Spam or Junk by Gmail, Outlook.com, and business Outlook 365. Just yesterday I found my own emails were suddenly going into Junk at work no matter what I did. I am in my work address book, and I moved the emails out of Junk and labeled them "Not Junk," but in experiments they still go into Junk. In any case my own personal email routine is now to also check the Junk/Spam folder on a regular (every day) basis in the various email programs I use.