EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 Apr 2003, 01:29 AM   #1
mammaduck
Cornerstone of the Community

E-Mail Marketers Sue Antispammers

The title says it all.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110400,00.asp

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Apr 2003, 03:56 AM   #2
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

"A Boca Raton trade association" — that really says it all (Boca Rathole is the spam capital of the world)...

To my mind, if PC World had been honest the article title would be "Spammers sue antispammers"...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 11:10 AM   #3
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
What do you think of this court case? I think the users have the right to block out stuffs and until the law say so company have the right to develop blocking softwares.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 07:59 PM   #4
psalzer

Robert, I was going to say the same thing - Boca Raton, huh?
Reading through the article I see that lawsuits are not new to these organizations and that Spamcop was involved in one previously. I get livid with Spamcop for their tactics but it does seem to work. Ironic that the only lawsuits involved are from actual spammers.

Thinking about spam, this might be one case where big business eventually does something to stamp out this garbage. Big, legitimate businesses could probably do much better with direct and truly opt-in e-mail marketing if not for spammers. I know that I've had to set my filters so I don't see some of the legitimate marketing e-mails that I have agreed to because I do business with a company and am interested in their sales, specials, events or whatever. It's just not worth it to me to make special rules so that their mail goes to my inbox, and I'm sure I'm average in that regard.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2003, 09:26 AM   #5
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

I think it's good news, in a way.

The lawsuit is pathetic and will be thrown out. No laws were broken. The filer will be SLAPPed back. Some emergency injunction filing was already thrown out.

ARIN is making movements to stop spam; not sure they have the teeth or stomach for the job though.

The SpamAssassin version FastMail runs just isn't doing a very good job anymore, for me anyway.

FastMail landed in the SpamCop black list (SCBL) again a couple days ago, for 9 hours, and is pretty close to the threshold.

I'm surprised there wasn't more haranguing about it.

listed: Saturday, April 26, 2003 14:12:02 -0700
delisted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 23:13:02 -0700
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote