EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 2 Aug 2003, 02:05 AM   #1
anj
Master of the @

post count updates all posts

Why is it that the post count updates all posts?
For example, when you make your 9th post, all 8 of your previous posts are updated to say 9 in the posts field and so on.
Does anyone else think the post count updating old posts is strange? Would it be possible for each post to be permanently labeled with the count at the time of posting? To me, it makes more sense to reflect the persons participation and forum experience at the time of posting. Of course, eating pankcakes for dinner also makes since to me once in awhile, so I was hoping for other opinions. (not on the pancakes )
anj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Aug 2003, 02:36 AM   #2
Sherry

Re: post count updates all posts

Quote:
Originally posted by anj
Why is it that the post count updates all posts?
I think it would be almost impossible to know someone's post count if they all were not updated. The count is for "all" the EmailDiscussion Forums except for the Off Topic. If you read a post that had a count of 30, you may not know that person has posted as many as 50 from the time that post was made.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2003, 02:53 AM   #3
ReuvenNY

Re: Re: post count updates all posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
I think it would be almost impossible to know someone's post count if they all were not updated.
Sherry
Unless of course there would be two counters:
Post number: 8
Total Posts: 9
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2003, 02:55 AM   #4
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Re: Re: post count updates all posts

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
Unless of course there would be two counters:
Post number: 8
Total Posts: 9
That's how it's done on some BB software; I don't know if this is possible with vBulletin, without a hack.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2003, 03:10 AM   #5
anj
Master of the @

Re: Re: post count updates all posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
I think it would be almost impossible to know someone's post count if they all were not updated.
Not really. It is available on the profile page. More apparently, most of the time we are reading new posts and so the new post would have the most current count. When we do a search or browse old threads, then we are aware this is not the current count for that user simply by knowing we are browsing old threads. But it is ambiguous which is the meaning, so there is always room for confusion. Reuven's distinction would help, but then alas there is the clutter factor. I just wondered if intially the post count was intuitive for other people or not.
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Aug 2003, 08:07 PM   #6
kander
The "e" in e-mail

From what I know it is impossible (excuse me, very hard) to implement this on a forum that already has posts in it. And as some of us know, Edwin is quite weary of unofficial vBulletin hacks.

Technical: In order for this to work an additional column needs to be added to the posts table in the database. This column would contain the post count for the user posting it. Not only would this increase the size, slowdown the queries (a little bit, but still) and possibly create an unstable system, it also is impossible to match the right postcount-number with older messages...

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2003, 03:58 AM   #7
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

I'm guessing you are a regular ezBoard user?

Ez is the only forum where I have seen this and to be honest I find it very confusing, since the number next to "posts: " is different every time! Perhaps if the field name was "Post number:" that would be more clear/
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2003, 12:31 AM   #8
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
.... it also is impossible to match the right postcount-number with older messages...

--K
Given that the posts are timestamped I would have thought it was a possible, though perhaps non-trivial, exercise to assign old posts a post-count number.
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2003, 12:41 AM   #9
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Hrm. Possible, yes. Non-trivial, no. I personally don't see an advantage to this, anyway..

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2003, 12:56 AM   #10
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Having said that, I also see nothing beneficial with this. I have to put up with it at ezboard as it is. In fact, it would rather put me off the forum if each and every post of mine was being 'tracked'!
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2003, 01:12 AM   #11
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
Hrm. Possible, yes. Non-trivial, no. I personally don't see an advantage to this, anyway..

--K
I agree! I only said it was possible, not profitable!
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2003, 09:43 AM   #12

In some ways I can see both sides of the argument. It would be nice to be able to know the actual post count when the post was actually posted (does that make sense )
But at the same time it could make things a bit confusing. I'm not altogether sure about the clutter factor, seeing as tho there is plenty of space left under the location field in the left hand table.

Dan.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 12:28 PM   #13
CyberSmurf

It might be nice to know the order. But then you would have ...
• post # for that user
• post counter for that user (includes deleted posts)
• actual post total for that user (includes off-topic lounge)
• number of posts (excluding off-topic lounge)

In the end it is all up to Edwin, and I've got a feeling that he doesn't want to go throught the hassle.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2003, 01:58 PM   #14
COUME
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberSmurf

In the end it is all up to Edwin, and I've got a feeling that he doesn't want to go throught the hassle.
I agree with you, I'm quite sure he doesn't want... And it will also make to many things write in the laft column

Ludo

P.S.: Dan,.... Common one to go... And you have 500 posts
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2003, 02:35 PM   #15
CyberSmurf

Quote:
Originally posted by COUME
. . . . Dan,.... Common one to go... And you have 500 posts
LOL
Quite on topic! With the current system. the post number for Stormcrow's post won't be apparent shortly.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote