EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Dec 2009, 12:33 AM   #1
Lojong

Question fastmail album/ sort order field

Hi. My first posting here.

Would it not be great to have a 'FastMail for Dummies' hard copy or ecopy, particularly for users like myself who struggle to make consecutive deductions quickly.

My query is: how is the 'sort order' field RHS of the FM Album operated? I have used the 'sort by size' and 'sort by name' functions which seem obvious, even to me.

At present I collect photo files to be published in one folder then rename them as 001..002......etc and then save/upload and 'sort by name' in the album. Ok so far but if I want to add files and reorder them the whole lot has to be renumbered. I have obviously got it wrong.

If there's any dear soul out there, not yet totaly blasted and subsumed under the festive 'spirit', then I will be mucho grateful for advice.

And a : Happy New Year to all our readers
Lojong
Lojong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Dec 2009, 11:35 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Use Sort order to arrange gallery images

Welcome to the EMD Forums, Lojong!

In the Files screen you can sort a displayed gallery using the Action tool:
  • Filename - sorts by the names of the files
  • Date - sorts by the dates of the files
  • Sort order - sorts by the Sort order field for each photo in the listing
    • The Sort order can be empty or a number (such as 1, 10, 100, etc.)
    • The empty sort fields will appear first in the gallery.
    • The smaller numbers will appear in the gallery before the larger numbers.
    • So if you inititally use numbers such as 10, 20, 30, etc. you can insert up to 10 later photos between any two original entries. You can use 100, 200, 300, etc. if you want to have room for larger numbers of inserted photos.
  • Picking a sort gallery choice reorders the actual gallery page based on the sort order field (or the dates or filenames). But it does not change the file listing -- only the photo gallery which is displayed at the website link.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2010, 05:08 AM   #3
Lojong

FM Album - gallery sort order

Hello Bill
Your suggested instructions were very clear and I was able to arrange the album folder as wanted: BUT

At some time in the process an unwanted sort order of files was sent to my website gallery. I now have my folder ready with the wanted order/arrangement to send to my gallery but how can I clear out my unwanted photo arrangement, from the website gallery, and send the wanted arrangement to replace the unwanted photos?

It may be that the unwanted sent order was carried out when I was doing several multi uploads in sequence; as though the photos just went directly to the gallery without 'waitng' for my wanted sort order command.

Apologies for such a heap of verbage but I will, again, be most grateful if you can help me sort!!! this one out.

Best wishes
Lojong
Old 19 Jan 2010, 09:40 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The sort order for the gallery changes instantly, Lojong. You just enter a new sort number (or click at the end of the number), and when you press Enter or click Save Comments at the top the gallery is reordered immediately. You must refresh your browser view of the gallery to see the change.

Bill
Old 23 Jan 2010, 06:28 AM   #5
Lojong

Album Sort Order

Hi Bill
Thank you for your fast, clear response.
I have followed the suggested steps, and variations of them, but without any success.

After I have either clicked the cursor (the pointer isn't active) next to the number in the sort field or deleted say no.1 and ....

then retyped no.1 in the sort field and ....

then pressed Enter or clicked Save Comments and ....

finally at the open Gallery refreshed the browser ( Reload Current Page or F5)....

the old gallery photo order flickers and jumps but remains the same.

What, I wonder is it that I have missed? Hopefully, you will spot my 'deliberate' mistake and hep me out yet again, Bill.

Best wishes
Lojong

ps On computing/IT I can offer almost zero but if you should just happen to be in need of some gen on oil painting and techniques, I may be of use.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 12:35 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, Lojong. Here is what I see:
  • I have a photo album with the sort order of the photos set in 100's (100, 200, 300, etc.). When I view the gallery website, the order is as specified -- in other words, 100 is the first photo displayed, 200 is the second photo displayed, etc.
  • Now I change the sort order of one of the third photo from 300 to 50, then either press the Enter key or click the Save Comments button. I then refresh the browser screen using the refresh icon button or F5, and the new order is shown, with the item with sort order 50 now first, since it is before 100.
Bill
Old 28 Jan 2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Lojong

Sort Order -album

Hi Bill
It's a long way from the UK to Texas so, unfortunately, I won't be stopping by to celebrate with you. Now, the album works as you said it should.

What finally did the trick was my changing the numbering to the same as you have yours : 100 200 and 300 and using the sorting accordingly. I am still puzzled concerning the previous malfunctions but there is no point in losing my hair (if I had any) over what's past.

Thank you for all of your help and persiverence with this computer 'dummy'.

With best wishes
Lojong
Old 29 Jan 2010, 02:03 PM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Lojong, there is no reason to apologize. And I have no idea why your earlier try didn't work. But as you say, if it's now working well there is no reason to worry over details.

It's cold and rainy in Texas tonight. It's below freezing north and west of my location, but I think it will just be cold and wet here. Don't me confused by those old movies -- the east half of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas are full of trees and can have heavy rainfall at times. Here in the Dallas area, it's heavy trees to the east and closer to the cowboy plains to the west. If you ever visit, I'll buy you a pint of Guinness.

Bill