EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 24 Dec 2002, 01:32 AM   #16
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Just as long as you don't do the "can I have a look at Uranus" gag...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2002, 01:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
Just as long as you don't do the "can I have a look at Uranus" gag...
lol!
Old 24 Dec 2002, 11:52 AM   #18
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by Quasar
With that in mind, I'm glad you didn't use the name Quasar! I, too, enjoy viewing the night sky and at this point, I'd have to say I'm a VERY amateur astronomer. Eventually, I plan on buying a few books on the subject and, when my finances improve, I'd like to buy a refracting telescope so I can get a better view of the cosmos. We are not alone.
Hey Quasar....you would like this free class...I took it last month and it was really nice. Go to Barnes and Noble University. Last month they had "The Night Sky" and this time around it's "From Planets to Pulsars: Astronomy Basics". They rotate the classes. The astro classes are under liberal arts. If you do a "view all classes" you'll get a list of classes being taught/slated to be taught and the free classes are listed under the premier classes by genre.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2002, 12:00 PM   #19
kchess79
Master of the @

I'm incredibly unoriginal compared to most of my usernames in various areas of the internet...K stands for Kimberly, Chess is part of my soon-to-be last name (I'll be glad to get rid of the very common, leaves-me-open-to-mistaken-identity TOO often last name!), and 79 is the year I was born...

otherwise, I tend to use lines from poems I like. one of my IDs is 'thesplendorfalls', another is 'eyesbiglovecrumbs', 'manunkind' and so on... (I'm an e.e. cummings fan )
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2002, 01:32 PM   #20
unhappysoul
Cornerstone of the Community

79 ??? !!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by kchess79
I'm incredibly unoriginal compared to most of my usernames in various areas of the internet...K stands for Kimberly, Chess is part of my soon-to-be last name (I'll be glad to get rid of the very common, leaves-me-open-to-mistaken-identity TOO often last name!), and 79 is the year I was born...

otherwise, I tend to use lines from poems I like. one of my IDs is 'thesplendorfalls', another is 'eyesbiglovecrumbs', 'manunkind' and so on... (I'm an e.e. cummings fan )

Wow... so young !!! and since you said getting rid of the lastname

I presume you are getting married at tander age of 23 ?

Very brave woman, when I was 23 I was busy trying to get a date......

Congratulation Kimberly !!!!!!
unhappysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2002, 09:01 PM   #21
kchess79
Master of the @

Yeah, I am kinda young, aren't I? For some reason, when I hit 20, people started saying, "You're not married yet?" I think the age of marrying has gone down here, several of my classmates were married by the time I graduated HIGH SCHOOL (of course, most of them are divorced--not all, but most). There's even a name for it, 'starter marriage'. I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years now, so I don't *think* we're rushing it. And he's not my first relationship, so I won't think later that I might have been missing something--he's just the first *sane* relationship

Trust me, I've been thinking about this a LOT. It took me two years to adjust to the whole marriage thing. I never really saw myself as the marrying type of person, but I know I just want to live with my best friend forever and ever and ever

Ok, now I've gone off topic AND I got a little mushy, I hate it when I do that. So sorry!

(On-topic note: I hate it when someone picks a name like: ilove(insert celebrity here)4ever_n_ever_n_ever200_2002 that I just can't remember!)
Old 25 Dec 2002, 02:25 AM   #22
Dave P in StLouis

Dear kchess79,

I hope someone gets this thread back on topic but it won't be me, LOL. Everyone is different and so is every relationship. We attend church with a couple who graduated the same year as my wife. They were high school sweethearts and got married right out of college; my wife and I didn't even meet until we were in our late 20's. Their oldest daughter was born about the time we got married and she'll be starting college next year; our daughter is in the fourth grade. I think you're very level-headed (that's a compliment in my mom's family). It's amazing how some folks (kander, for example) are mature at a relatively early age while some of us (like me) are still growing up. For what it's worth, I wish the two of you every happiness. (Now if we can just come up with an on-line honeymoon. )

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2002, 03:29 AM   #23
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Hey Kimberly, Dave, "Other Folks",

This thread caught my eye because I saw my name being mentioned. Thanks Dave

Kimberly/Kchess79, congratulations on getting married! Although I had already read about it in the Online Bridal Shower thread I wanted to congratulate you in here, drifting futher off-topic

I hope your wedding day will be, as it should, one of those few "most-special-day-of-your-life"-days.

==K==

[edit: Dared to misspell Kimberl(e)y.. shame on me!]

Last edited by kander : 25 Dec 2002 at 06:44 PM.
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2002, 08:50 AM   #24
kchess79
Master of the @

You're all sweet people An online honeymoon would be fun, wouldn't it? I wonder if that's a 'wave of the future'...how would that work?
Old 25 Dec 2002, 06:46 PM   #25
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Honeymoon

Hrm...

I think you'd have to go to chatrooms on servers across the globe, in different top-level domains. For example, a honeymoon to the Federation of Micronesia would be a chatroom in the .fm domain. Somehow I think I'd prefer the real thing, though...
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2002, 06:55 PM   #26
kchess79
Master of the @

I remember virtual dating, where people would meet in a chat room and there would be images of the beach, or something like that...and cyber-chapels...I bet there are people out there who DO go on virtual honeymoons! We're getting married the day before Spring Break, and driving down to Indianapolis to spend a few days...nothing major...
Old 6 Jan 2003, 01:43 PM   #27
lizzymcfizzy

Cool username

my user name stands for LIZZY - my first name is Elizabeth and MCFIZZY - my last name starts with MC and FIZZY because it rhymes with lizzy. People seem to like it.

ps i love these smilies!!
lizzymcfizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2003, 05:12 PM   #28
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

So this thread is back from the holidays and back in track...

hadaso is: last name Hadas, first name Ofer.

10 years ago I was oferh. Then I graduated, and the university where I went to do my postdoc didn't have it avilable (one of the sysadmins had it? I cannot recall) so it became hadas on the math/cs department server. Then hadas was taken on the university server (it's a common female first name around here). So I settled for hadaso. Then I went through a period of signing up to every free service I found on the web just to keep the name, until I realized it's a lost cause. (somewhere out there there is someone else using my id!)

For a while I was doctormath.at.123mail.org, mainly because 6 letter username was not available for a guest level acct at FM, but it soon changed.

So, I agree, it's a dull username. My professional society recommends lastname/initial for their email forwarding service. Its seems the best way for work stuff. I use my firstname@fastmailsubdomain for friends and family, so it works great.

Back to drifting from the topic: what I like in this thread is that it shows the real people behind the userids. I thought that clicking the profile button on each post should tell a little bit about the person who posted, but most people don't say much there!

As for honeymoons: as a someone who took along both his and his newlywed wife's parents along, I don't feel my comments can be of any use to sane people!
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2003, 10:19 PM   #29
odedp
Master of the @

My username is dull too... and I guess it's quite self-explanatory like DaveP's and many others.
So maybe for the benefit of the few of you who don't speak Hebrew (lol) I'll explain what my first name means:
Oded means actually "encouragement." I guess that's what my parents expected me to do... I hope I didn't disappoint them..

Oded
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2003, 03:07 AM   #30
Dave P in StLouis

Quote:
Originally posted by odedp
. . . Oded means actually "encouragement." I guess that's what my parents expected me to do... I hope I didn't disappoint them..

Oded
Dear Oded,

I'm sure you haven't disappointed your parents, especially with all the help and encouragement you provide through this forum. If this is a sample of how you are in "life" (whatever that means), I'd say you've encouraged a great many people.

Shalom,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote