EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 31 May 2012, 09:05 AM   #211
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
If this goes through, I'll be so disappointed. I've been researching and trying many different services over the last 4 - 5 days, and I cannot find any of them that were laid out as well as fastmail. Options all on one screen, clear ways of doing things, high degree of customization, etc. If I have to leave Fastmail, I'll gain activesync and outlook integration, but I'll leave so many other things I now rely on.

Who else provides folder level access to permissions to the customer? No one. I've found that I've done some amazing things on Fastmail, that I'd only be able to replicate with my own service.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2012, 09:24 AM   #212
Shelded

I think Tuffmail does (did). And if you have a Mulberry client you can set them client-side on a IMAP server. I don't know if those ACLs are exposed by all/many IMAP servers but someone else probably can speak up.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2012, 07:14 PM   #213
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
If this is nothing but rumor, why didn't it get a disclaimer from either Opera or Facebook? That speaks of it being true.
Yes they havent said anything which i think says it all
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2012, 08:29 PM   #214
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Yes they havent said anything which i think says it all
It's too bad a FM or Opera rep. couldn't at least tell us when they will be able to make an official announcement on the 'rumor.' If they let things drag on without saying anything, this thread may end up longer than "One Word Story."
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2012, 09:28 PM   #215
Bamb0
Master of the @

Maybe they have been told not to discuss it and they dont wanna go against that OR maybe none of them like the idea either and dont wanna let that fact out??
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2012, 10:20 PM   #216
Shelded

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
If they let things drag on without saying anything, this thread may end up longer than "One Word Story."
True!
Old 31 May 2012, 10:28 PM   #217
ao1
Essential Contributor

Question Alternatives?

In the worst case, what other services have feature-sets comparable to FM?
At the minimum:
- IMAP
- Sieve
- DNS
- (edit) SMTP

Last edited by ao1 : 5 Jun 2012 at 12:05 AM.
ao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2012, 10:44 PM   #218
Shelded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao1 View Post
At the minimum:
- IMAP
- Sieve
- DNS
What do you want in DNS? which records are your minimum?
Old 1 Jun 2012, 12:24 AM   #219
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Uh-Oh !

http://www.neowin.net/news/facebook-...chrome-support
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2012, 12:28 AM   #220
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao1 View Post
At the minimum:
- IMAP
- Sieve
- DNS
I'm in the middle of a major overhaul (clean up and customer requests) of my Primary DNS service, so I too would be curious what your DNS requirements are. If it's DNSSEC though I won't have the front end for that quite yet.
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2012, 01:07 AM   #221
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
The choice Facebook has made regarding supporting Opera
may not be as farfetched as you may think due to the Social Network’s
rumored plans to acquire Opera.

This recent change in browser recommendations definitely
emphasises on some form of Facebook to Opera relation,
so the rumour behind the acquisition could be true.
Yes such is a possible interpretation indeed. We don't know
but it does looks more and more likely? Does it not?
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2012, 01:26 AM   #222
NMci

A workable plan

Thanks so much Shelded for the Pobox headsup!
I researched forwarding and they appear to have *the* service to subscribe to: SMTP, and flexible configuration, and fair numbers of destinations per basic account. Not to mention their impeccable response to my inquiry.
Dealing with spam is way off my radar, but the general consensus in these forums is that Pobox are past masters at handling it. Spam was something we relied on FM's default help with, so it's a major recommendation for any service in our books.
You're right that I wouldn't touch gmail with a 10ft barge pole for the same trust issues as Facebook. So... searching for a basic service with a few boolean gmail deprecating comparison terms found us a very straightforward ad free service lavabit.com.
We're running a test now with them and FM as destinations for the introductory month of Pobox basic. My current isp chews mail, so we no longer let them anywhere near ours.

That gives us some wiggle room at the end of the month: keep on with a Pobox basic subscription and then either stay with a paid lavabit subs or continue playing with other services to get our tiny traffic catered for at under $30/year, or decide to upgrade and stay exclusive with Pobox.
So far, both companies are responsive. Plus they both have some history that suggests they may be sympathetic to folk who really need a solid email presence.

Despite all the predictions that email will soon be dead, it's such a *usable* way to correspond that I don't think it's going anywhere soon. It seems to me that the commercial uses of email can coexist with the personal if experts *with an understanding of some people's need to keep commerce the hell out of that part of their lives* do the filtering.
My email use goes back to uni days and I have such happy relationships via email with so many, including some refugees from great messageboards that have been swallowed by the Web2 forum borg. It would be devastating if these threads of contact that have survived the depredations of "bad" email couldn't be maintained via an ecology of dedicated individual email services.
So... with a nod to elvey ... we're now going to mingle at the club to find our next best girlfriend while Pobox looks after any quick changes.
Great forum here. Good intelligent moderation!!
Must be a feature of email mavens ;-)
btw, nice markup hints for the bewildered.. only took me a couple of minutes to edit them in. *L*
NMci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2012, 02:21 AM   #223
Shelded

Didn't I read recently that Chrome has surpassed IE installations? (not fact checking that now). In any case, for FB to dis Chrome is some sort of thrown gauntlet. Like fighting the current. Like us asserting we won't do business with FB when the stupid links are on every web page we visit . (My firewall blocks those links just as it blocks the FB web site, nyah.)
Old 1 Jun 2012, 02:29 AM   #224
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
Didn't I read recently that Chrome has surpassed IE installations? (not fact checking that now). In any case, for FB to dis Chrome is some sort of thrown gauntlet. Like fighting the current. Like us asserting we won't do business with FB when the stupid links are on every web page we visit . (My firewall blocks those links just as it blocks the FB web site, nyah.)
Everything is so ridiculously tangled these days. Most sites load content from at least a dozen external sources or are dependent on them. And if any of those dozen have an outage or whatever it breaks everything else.

When I was building my new facility I figured "hey, I'll just use dialup for a couple weeks on a laptop since all I have right now is a phone line, it'll be fine." But it wasn't. It was the most horrible experience imaginable because of that whole "load a trillion bites from everywhere just go go to one site" mentality, and I swear I don't remember it being that bad back when dialup was still king.
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2012, 02:47 AM   #225
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethM View Post
I swear I don't remember it being that bad back when dialup was still king.
When dialup was king, people had to make their websites load quickly on dialup. Nowadays, everyone assumes you can digest at least a couple of megabits per second. Content expands to fill the available bandwidth!
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote