EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 26 Mar 2017, 04:54 AM   #1
tyler4402

images are taken out

Hi all
My problem is with Thunderbird, I think? I have a gmail account and a Sky account on the Thunderbird platform and the problem happens with both accounts.
When I open an email and click forward to edit out the dross and save it to a dedicated folder any images in the mail are taken out, and the mail is saved as .html and when I open it from the dedicated folder it is in read only format, if I click forward and save as and change the extension to .eml and then select "All Files" it is saved as .eml but the text and images are all tuned into a great long list of Meta Data.
I have tried lots of solutions which I have found on various web sites without any success, any ideas most welcome, regards Robert.
tyler4402 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Mar 2017, 01:38 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Save message to Drafts or Templates folder in Thunderbird

Welcome to the EMD Forums, Robert!

I think what you want to do is to save a modified copy of an email and send it later. You can do this as follows in Thunderbird:
  • Why reading the original message, click Forward (as you were already doing).
  • Edit the message as needed.
  • Click Save at the top. By default, this will save the message in the Drafts folder in Thunderbird.
  • If you instead want to use the message many times in the future, save as a Template using the triangle icon the right of Save.
  • When you are ready to send the message, open in in the Drafts folder, complete the message, and send it. The draft message is discarded after it is edited and sent.
  • Or you can open the message in the Templates folder, edit it, and send it. The template message will remain in the Templates folder so you can use it later.
I don't see any reason for you to save the message outside the Thunderbird folder system. That's what is causing you trouble.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 26 Mar 2017 at 01:46 PM.
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2017, 07:13 PM   #3
tyler4402

Thanks Bill, I've just got your suggestion and I will go through it step by step in a short while, I have always saved my mail in dedicated folders on another hard drive so I can't loose them, the system I use is all .pps in one folder .wmv in another and .eml in their own folder etc, and when I want to send them to friends I just open my mail prog click attach and go to the hdd with the folder and select the folder then the saved mail as an attachment.
It is saving to another hdd which I do need as in the past I have lost so many emails when they were saved to the C:// drive this system has always worked ok when I have used other email platforms, and I think it worked when I first started using T'bird, but I have had so much trouble with T'bird I cannot really remember, anyway my thanks for your help it is most appreciated and I will proceed to follow your instructions as soon as possible, regards Robert.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 08:43 AM   #4
tyler4402

Hi all, I have tried saving email to the T'bird drafts folder and yes it works, but I want to save .eml's to a folder on another drive as I have always done.
If anybody knows why T'bird has started changing the dot extension from .eml to html and wiping the images when saving to my storage drive I'd love to know. Regards Robert.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 12:29 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You can save the modified message as a Draft, then open it in your Drafts folder and save it as an .eml file.

Bill
Old 12 Apr 2017, 04:05 AM   #6
tyler4402

Hi Bill, sorry for the late reply, I have just found the alert mail sent on the 30th unfortunately it went into the junk folder, and I had forgotten which site I had posted my Question on , sorry again.

I really want to save my mails to another hard drive as I have always done before using T'bird, its just for safety so that if I loose the HDD I won't loose all the saved mails

Something has changed within the program as I have had a look at the first 2016 mails that I saved using Thunderbird, and they were saved ok as .eml in the folder on my storage drive.

I do wonder why the dot extension is changed when I save the mail, and sometimes why when I first open some mails they have a band across the top saying "this mail is read only" also with the pictures taken out, I don't understand that.

Regards Robert.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 04:35 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You can install Thunderbird add-in tools to export and import your message store, such as:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...rtexporttools/

Bill
Old 12 Apr 2017, 06:03 PM   #8
tyler4402

Hi Bill, I did click on the link you sent and downloaded the "import/export" tools prog you recommended to a folder on the C/ drive, but when I came to install it I got the message "Windows cannot open this file" it was a .xpi file, but as I pointed out, T'bird used to work ok so something must have changed, maybe in the settings? regards Robert.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 09:22 PM   #9
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler4402 View Post
Hi Bill, I did click on the link you sent and downloaded the "import/export" tools prog you recommended to a folder on the C/ drive, but when I came to install it I got the message "Windows cannot open this file" it was a .xpi file, but as I pointed out, T'bird used to work ok so something must have changed, maybe in the settings?
Did you try to install within Thunderbird?

Have a look in Menu/Add-ons/Add-ons Manager/Extensions

I installed ImportExportTools, Lightning and Manually Sort Folders recently this way.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2017, 02:04 AM   #10
tyler4402

Hi Fred, I have just started up my pc and followed your guide to the Extensions, and yes the "Import export tool" was in there, and also a prog called Lightning, do these programs come together and do I need Lightning?
As for installing I usually d'load the program and click install, and I think windows does the installing.
I usually steer clear of extensions as I feel its more to complicate things having seen these two prog's showing in the Extensions with the buttons "Options, Disable, Remove" next to them I presume that they are now installed onto my PC, what do I need to do now, or do these prog's work on their own and work with Thunderbird to sort out the problems. Regards Robert.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 02:13 AM   #11
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler4402 View Post
Hi Fred, I have just started up my pc and followed your guide to the Extensions, and yes the "Import export tool" was in there, and also a prog called Lightning, do these programs come together and do I need Lightning?
As for installing I usually d'load the program and click install, and I think windows does the installing.
I usually steer clear of extensions as I feel its more to complicate things having seen these two prog's showing in the Extensions with the buttons "Options, Disable, Remove" next to them I presume that they are now installed onto my PC, what do I need to do now, or do these prog's work on their own and work with Thunderbird to sort out the problems. Regards Robert.
In Thunderbird, go to Menu/Tools/ImportExportTools - do you have that?

Added:

Assuming you do see this, to save a folder locally (for example, the Inbox folder in the Folder Pane in Thunderbird), just right-click on "Inbox", and go:

ImportExportTools/export all messages in the folder/EML format, etc.

Last edited by FredOnline : 13 Apr 2017 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Added:
Old 13 Apr 2017, 05:16 PM   #12
tyler4402

I again,
Quote:
In Thunderbird, go to Menu/Tools/ImportExportTools - do you have that?
Yes
Quote:
to save a folder locally (for example, the Inbox folder in the Folder Pane in Thunderbird)
As I said earlier I am trying to save recieved email files in .eml format to a folder on my "Storage Drive" as I have always done, (not the C: drive)
I have no problem saving to the preferred drive and I have just tried again and the mail was yet again saved as .html again

I feel sure that something is wrong before saving the mail as after I click "Forward" and clean off the dross, I next click "Save as" > file > and in the "Save as" box the dot extension is already shown as . html, this also happens with text files as they are saved as .html as well
Regards Robert
Old 13 Apr 2017, 09:19 PM   #13
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I have just done as I described, and downloaded e-mails locally from one folder locally.

Now, when I open that saved folder, I have within that folder a index.html file and a messages folder - if I open that messages folder, the individual e-mails are in there in eml format.

It may be slightly different in the OS you're using (I'm using Linux Mint), but if I right-click one of those messages with the eml extension, to open with Thunderbird, it does exactly that.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 07:07 PM   #14
tyler4402

Hi Fred
Not sure what you mean by locally but I guess it could be the drafts folder > I did save an email with pic's to the drafts folder and that went ok, I next tried to save it from the drafts folder to the dedicated storage drive where I keep all the .eml files, by opening the mail and clicking > File > Save as File > selecting the eml files folder > and in the "Save Page As" box > "Save as Type" I clicked on "all files" because the mail was showing all the .html .shtml xthml prefixes, then I sent it, but the mail still went to the storage drive without images and the text was very Big with Grey bars between the lines if text which made the mail twice as long, regards Robert.