EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Jan 2013, 08:33 PM   #1
labarum
Essential Contributor

Has Fastmail Development Stalled?

I am still using the classic interface and peek at the AJAX interface from time to time but I don't see much development in recent weeks.

Has the the work stopped or slowed to a snail's pace?
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Jan 2013, 09:24 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Given heaps of abuse FM folks were getting for the Ajax interface, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to call it a day...
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2013, 01:43 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Given heaps of abuse FM folks were getting for the Ajax interface, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to call it a day...
The Fastmail Ajax interface was very broken, when it was first released, unbeknownst to anyone, it was not even up to an 'Alpha release' standard.

Fastmail fully deserved all the abuse they received (on that occasion) IMHO.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2013, 07:10 AM   #4
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by labarum View Post
I am still using the classic interface and peek at the AJAX interface from time to time but I don't see much development in recent weeks.

Has the the work stopped or slowed to a snail's pace?
Work slowed during December and January while people took (and are taking) time off for Christmas and holidays and whatnot.

And of course, lots of stuff we do is not immediately obvious to end-users. For example I do backend server stuff, improving capacity, reliability, that sort of thing. If I'm doing my job right you won't notice anything

Of course there's some good stuff for users coming soon. Fast cross-folder searching is probably going to be the next big thing to land.

Keep an eye on the status blog.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2013, 12:57 PM   #5
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post

And of course, lots of stuff we do is not immediately obvious to end-users. For example I do backend server stuff, improving capacity, reliability, that sort of thing. If I'm doing my job right you won't notice anything
That I understand.

Quote:

Of course there's some good stuff for users coming soon. Fast cross-folder searching is probably going to be the next big thing to land.
Classic with minimum style-sheet is displaying well on my new ARM Chromebook.- better than on my Lenovo W7 laptop that has the same nominal screen size.

I still can't be bothered with the AJAX interface although it may be marginally faster. The separate scroll for the folder list is useful. It would be unnecessary, however, if I could configure font and line spacing.

I prefer Fastmail Classic Minimum to Gmail's cluttered interface, but Microsoft's new Outlook.com/Skydrive interface beats all - pity the back-end is so limiting.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2013, 05:46 PM   #6
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
And of course, lots of stuff we do is not immediately obvious to end-users.
This is understood. But, surely you realise the biggest issue with FM right now is immediately obvious to end-users?
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote