EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Feb 2013, 09:46 AM   #451
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Ahhhhhh but they would LOVE getting thier hands on everyone on fastmail who isnt on FB!!
I doubt they are seeking user base expansion through fast mail, if they even are thinking of acquisition. Everyone on fast mail who will join fb likely already has... Expanding technology would be the thing they want. Remember. Facebook wants to kill email.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2013, 08:25 AM   #452
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Arrow

I was reading a little-known history of facebook's origins today.

Here is some amazingly revealing new (since September 2012) evidence of how facebook got started, in the form of chat session transcripts of IM chats between Mark Zuckerberg and Aaron Greenspan.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2013, 10:16 AM   #453
bikeguy

First time here

am looking into something troubling that just happened with my email acct.
I got an email from someone I gave the addy to offline. A short time later, same day, I got an email from FB, 'Do I know Joe Jones, Jane Smith, and xxx, who is the same guy I just got the email from. How did they know that? I am very unhappy about this.
bikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2013, 10:24 AM   #454
Webgenie

bikeguy, I'm not sure they did know it. I've had a couple of Facebook accounts going at a time, neither using my real name, but I actually use one of the accounts to communicate with people I know. The other account, I had so I could comment on outside sites that require a Facebook login. Facebook is always sending stupid e-mails, and some can't be opted out of, so I just closed the secondary account out of annoyance. One time when I was giving my e-mail address to realtors when I was looking at houses, I got an e-mail like you got and one to join Facebook because this "friend" - the real estate agent - wanted to be friends. Thing is, I don't use the same e-mail address on Facebook, and nobody can find me there unless I've told them my "name" or through a mutual real-life friend.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to have a Facebook account, there are some things you can't do anything about, especially if you give Facebook your real name and an important e-mail address.
Webgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2013, 10:58 AM   #455
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, I agree that this is due to the person you gave your email address to attempted to add you as a "friend" with your email address, which causes Facebook to send you an email. That's the way the social networking sites work. It's just Facebook sending you an email due to the request by one of their members. Just ignore it and nothing will happen.

Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2013, 02:37 PM   #456
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
am looking into something troubling that just happened with my email acct.
I got an email from someone I gave the addy to offline. A short time later, same day, I got an email from FB, 'Do I know Joe Jones, Jane Smith, and xxx, who is the same guy I just got the email from. How did they know that? I am very unhappy about this.
No matter how anonymous you want to be, all it takes is one person to "friend" you, and your name and address are entered into their system. From there, they can cross-reference you from lists that are purchased and sold. Almost useless to fight the system.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2013, 02:22 AM   #457
Sly

Maybe FB/Opera will let FM spin off with it's original founders back in control...
Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2013, 03:39 AM   #458
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
Maybe FB/Opera will let FM spin off with it's original founders back in control...
Not likely - it is a misnomer to even call it Fastmail anymore (imho) It leads many to not even realize that the company has now been absorbed, in to the all encompassing, greater Opera entity.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2013, 09:46 PM   #459
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly
That would be nice!!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2013, 12:12 AM   #460
oslostock

Some bet the ranch on the possibility that Opera would have been acquired by Facebook. In fact, some say the main factor affecting Opera's price was the probability of its acquisition. With this chance passing it by, it adds up to less.

As for FM, they made their choice and are now part of Opera. They were great, let's respect that, but they are quite a different animal now.
oslostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2013, 02:19 AM   #461
hobbes

As I've said before, Facebook would have no interest in a (relatively) small email service. Why would they?

Which perhaps explains why I cannot find any reference whatsoever to an email service at http://opera.com nor at http://my.opera.com

operamail.com redirects to FM, not to the new Opera mail service.

Is this is a sign that the email service is perhaps being jettisoned? It would certainly explain the absence of any substantial progress on the new interface.

Why is Opera hiding it's new FM-based email service?
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2013, 02:52 AM   #462
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Not likely - it is a misnomer to even call it Fastmail anymore (imho) It leads many to not even realize that the company has now been absorbed, in to the all encompassing, greater Opera entity.
Yes! I think we all need to get our heads around that idea.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2013, 06:14 AM   #463
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
Why is Opera hiding it's new FM-based email service?
Opera wanted their infrastructure and experience. Not the company.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2013, 05:55 PM   #464
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Opera wanted their infrastructure and experience. Not the company.
I understand, and I agree.

My point is that the "Opera Mail" email service, that is based on FM's infrastructure, appears to be totally absent from Opera's two main consumer webpages. Sure, "mail.opera.com" is still there. But, I challenge someone to find this service by browsing from either opera.com or my.opera.com.

Kind of strange, don't you think? Almost as if Opera no longer wants to provide email services.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 06:15 PM   #465
hobbes

Perhaps another indication that all is not well with FM/Opera's email service.

In the Q4 Opera financial report, Opera has written-down the goodwill value of Fastmail from USD4million to USD1million. So, if Opera did sell FM, they'd make a massive loss.

The key phrase in the "costs for restructuring the business" section is this: "The difference between the reassessed fair values of Fastmail, less the cost to sell and the current fair value, has been booked as an impairment cost." So, Opera's accounts reflect the cost of selling FM.

I would not be unhappy if Opera sold FM. I don't think they've been good for FM.

Last edited by hobbes : 11 Mar 2013 at 06:42 PM.