EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Jan 2004, 05:08 PM   #106
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Just a quick post to let you know that I have been thinking about this too. I am looking for a deal with all entities involved in this. Basically my proposition will be that it is unreasonable to expect me to spend 100% of my free time on homework, which would probably be counter-effective anyway. So if I spend 4 hours on my homework, I can 'earn' an hour of computer-time. That way I've got incentive to do something, and I can get back online a bit more frequently, besides the breaks such as the one that I am using now...

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2004, 08:16 PM   #107
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

That sounds like a very mature,well-thought out plan Kander.I hope it works for you,take care,we all want you to do well in your education as your first priority...we are all routing for you, Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2004, 04:19 PM   #108
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
... So if I spend 4 hours on my homework, I can 'earn' an hour of computer-time ...
Kander, don't forget that there are many people here that have the knowledge and can help you if you need help... You can find many helping hands here!!!

So if you need help in your homework, you can bring it here! (though it would have to be in the OT lounge if it it's not related to email ) I wonder if that should be counted in the 1 hour or in the 4 hours...
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2004, 06:59 PM   #109
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

That is a great idea hadaso!! I am sure many members have different areas of expertise and that we could all work together and really help him! Susan.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 08:47 PM   #110
ewal
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by SusanUKF
That is a great idea hadaso!! I am sure many members have different areas of expertise and that we could all work together and really help him! Susan.
Susan are you sure we would be able to help Kander? I suspect that Kander is studying the theoretical mathematics underlying String Theory or something like that. You know - the mathematical proof that we and the universe exists or something. I'm sure that Albert Einstein would love to take lessons from Kander.

Edward
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2004, 08:57 PM   #111
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Actually,he is also taking subjects that I do have a degree in--more in the Social Sciences...Geography/Classical Studies and English(obviously not in typing,quantum physics or computers!!)I went to university for 5 years in total,graduating after 3,taking two more years for the other majors and trying to figure out I wanted to do.He is a brilliant young man!! I will be the first person to agree with that,and he has a terrific future and I wish all the best for him.At school one has to take all different courses,not just theoretical mathematics,or quantum physics.He is still in high school so hasn't been able to specialize yet.I was speaking more in group terms as to the assistance we might be able to give him,not necessarily myself personally. Susan.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 09:50 AM   #112

Any Updates?

Just wondering if there are any updates on this project. It has been a month since the last post. Have any accounts been given out, how much money has been raised and is the project still active?

Cheers,
dan
Old 22 Feb 2004, 05:50 PM   #113
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your wake-up call post. Let's see:

1. The Project is still active
2. We made a LOT of money, due to various contributors. Many thanks to all who donated, since we've got a sum of a little over $420,00 in! That is, without the FM doubling. You do the math.
3. Give aways: I have given 1 account away so far, to someone who could give me sufficient reason to make me believe that it would be worth it. It wasn't even for himself, but for someone close to him, and the conditions seemed right. I heard back from the person, they actually wrote a testimonial.
4. Website: Thanks to another entheusiastic person we're working on a simple (?? Not sure, might become rather advanced too from what I heard, actually!) website for the Helping Hand project. There's nothing there at the moment, but work is being done on providing a nice page with info and stuff like that. I'll keep you informed on progress on this, and will release the URL into the public once it's ready.
5. Why no updates: Mostly because I am eagerly awaiting Jeremy's Newsletter. I am quite sure that this will bring many new applications for accounts, and I was trying to not burden myself with too many other things, so I'd be able to handle that. So far no newsletter, though. I hope it will come soon...

So, all in all we're still going strong, have lots of cash waiting to be handed out, but so far not very many people who seem to need a Member account for Noble Purposes ™. I'm quite sure we'll get plenty of those soon, though.

--K
Old 22 Feb 2004, 10:01 PM   #114
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
... Thinking this over I come to the conclusion that I can summarize this in one sentence: Do they want it for their personal benefit, or will they use the account to 'do good'?
Late response (I actually wrote a lengthy response to this once, and before posting had a power outage )

"Personal benefit" and "do good" are not necessarily mutually exclusive. In some parts of the world the price of one FastMail member account can be as much as the monthly income of a family. A FastMail member account can be out of reach for someone living in such a place, but on the other hand a member account used with subdomain addresses can help a small business to expand locally and internationaly, and the results can be equivalent to providing food to many hungry children! So an account used for "personal benefit" (expanding a private business) can do a lot of good (providing jobs to several families).
Old 22 Feb 2004, 10:27 PM   #115
kander
The "e" in e-mail

A very good point, Hadaso. I will definitely keep that in mind when making my judgements... you've pointed out in a nice way that there are often future implications that we must consider as well when making decisions, however insignificant they may seem initially...

--K
Old 22 Feb 2004, 11:14 PM   #116
DianeB
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
2. We made a LOT of money, due to various contributors. Many thanks to all who donated, since we've got a sum of a little over $420,00 in! That is, without the FM doubling. You do the math.
Just logged in & read this. This is super fantastic Kander!! This translates into mucho 'member' account give-a-ways! I seem to get a notion of a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling coming over me.

~Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2004, 09:31 PM   #117
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

This post perhaps needs a bump to have people made aware of it. Even with all the criticism about the Member accounts not being upgraded lately, I still find them great, and there are a lot of people that would be thrilled to have one, not becasue of the space, but because it is Fastmail, and Fastmail is simply the best (IMO!!)

Susan.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 03:07 AM   #118
DianeB
Cornerstone of the Community

Agreed Susan. After you 'bumped' this post, I just sat here and re-read every single post on it, and there went that 'warm, fuzzy feeling' again. What a nice feeling it is!!

Hopefully by you bumping this up, other members will join in, and FM will be able to help even more folks that are less fortunate than what we are.

~Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:07 PM   #119
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Hey,

Just wondering if this project is still active. I am interested in donating an account, and would like to know if credit card payment is an option.

(P.S - I think this project is a great idea, a long time back I was donated an account, and would now like to return the favour so someone else can benefit)

dan
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2005, 06:20 AM   #120
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Hi Dan!

I'm glad to hear (actually read) that you're so well off now that you can donate money!

Of course you can do it with a credit card. The procedure is uploading some money to your FastMail account pool and then sending a gift certificate to an address listed somewhere in this thread (or perhaps in the FastMail blog somewhere).

And to know how active the project is you should probably ask Kander.

Last edited by hadaso : 15 Dec 2005 at 07:08 AM.