EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Sep 2019, 11:19 PM   #16
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Yes, Jeremy. I made the changes I was asked to make. And yes, the rejection symbol was on the Rules page. I cannot make the symbol go away. This current problem is recent; the spam problem was fixed at the time y’all helped me handle it. I have changed no settings since that time.
It worries me that you say you made changes you were asked to make.

If I remember correctly it was explained how you could make changes. But the discussion covered various issues. You shouldn't make changes unless you're sure you understand what they will do.

If you really have defined a rule that tells FM to delete all incoming mails for a particular address, you could try disabling that rule. The rule would still be present (just in case there's a good reason for it) but not be used.

On the rules screen you should be able to click "Edit" next to any rule you have defined, and then within the edit screen, alter the rule. You can click on "Disable the rule" then Save that, and see if it helps. Or, if you are certain (but I suspect you won't be) you can click the "Delete rule" button.

I think you should learn how to do screenshots first. And, you should get into the habit of taking screenshots and saving them, with your own notes, so that you understand whatever you change - what settings used to be and what they are now. Not just for FM, for anything you alter on your computer. It's FAR faster to take and save a screenshot than it is to write a clear and unambiguous description of the before and after values of some settings. You need notes too - in your own words and way of thinking - that tell you what you were trying to achieve. Then in future if you look back at those notes, hopefully they will still make sense to you.

I keep notes like that - for my current computer, but also for all the older ones I've used. I still have the notes. I search them when I can't remember precisely how I made a particular change... or when.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2019, 01:52 AM   #17
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I suggest you copy your whole sieve script, and send it by private message to someone you trust (I suggest Bill). To copy your entire sieve script, using the browser interface:
  1. Go to Settings -> Rules
  2. Go to the bottom of the screen and select Edit custom Sieve code
  3. At the top of the screen, you now have Copy to Clipboard. Click on this and you have a copy of the sieve script that you can past into a private message.
Let us know if you need a guide on how to send a private message (to Bill or whoever).
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2019, 09:08 AM   #18
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

This pertains to the address that is currently blocked:

### 1. Sieve generated for save-on-SMTP identities
# You do not have any identities with special filing.
This pertains to the address that is currently blocked:

### 2. Sieve generated for discard rules
if address :is "To" "XXXX@fastmail.us" {
discard;
stop;
}
discard;
stop;
}
discard;
stop;
}

### 3. Sieve generated for spam protection
if not header :matches "X-Spam-Known-Sender" "yes*" {
}
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2019, 09:12 AM   #19
noclue

I don't think I am actually using an alias; I am just using a different address. It is still connected to my actual name. I also changed the affected address to XXXX@fastmail.us, (not .fm. or .net which I use on my other two accounts.)
Old 9 Sep 2019, 09:26 AM   #20
noclue

Here's the thing, guys. You are ALL so generous with your time and are obviously very well-informed about my issues. And even though y'all go to all the trouble of putting things in "for dummies" language for me, I have a terrible time understanding what you're talking about. That's not on you; it's on ME.

I am a week shy of 73 and have had problems like this my entire life. I barely got into college only because the written/English part of the exam saved me. (I think I got whatever score is given for just signing your name on the math part; I guessed at nearly every question.) I think the reason I taught special ed was because I could relate to my students, but I didn't realize that at the time. Can't read a map, can't follow written instructions for putting even simple stuff together, and am still baffled by fractions. I don't know how I've made it this far in life! Now I am saddled with a neurological disease that has only made this problem worse. Tech-speak is like trying to read Arabic.

I am feeling really bad about wasting so much of your time. Maybe I shouldn't use this message board for personal information, but I feel like you guys should understand that I am nearly always lost. I have stuck with FastMail because of people like you, always willing to help. But I am clearly at a disadvantage because of my disability. I would hate to succumb to gmail or the like; I really love FastMail. I just don't know if I can continue to use it because I am always asking for help and then never offering any.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 12:24 PM   #21
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

It does not matter who or what you are....people on here love to help.

Perhaps get Bills phone number and he can help you step by step or perhaps there is someone local to you who would help.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2019, 01:51 PM   #22
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
...This pertains to the address that is currently blocked:
### 2. Sieve generated for discard rules
discard;
stop;
}
If "XXXX@fastmail.us" is an address which you want to receive, then you have blocked it and you need to remove those blocking rules.

I just noticed that you said you started having trouble after the last iOS update, but that the Mac support people couldn't help you.
  • Are you using some type of Apple Mac PC? They look like this:
    https://www.apple.com/mac/
  • Or are you using an Apple iPad? They look like this:
    https://www.apple.com/ipad/
  • Do you understand what the web browser in your device looks like? Are you using it when you send or receive email, or another program?
  • As I said before, if you are using an iOS device (such as an iPhone or iPad) and the Fastmail app, you will see Fastmail listed when you open the Settings icon (grey concentric gears) and scroll down on the page to the alphabetic list of applications you have installed. If you use Facebook, Fastmail is probably immediately after Facebook in this list.
    • If you don't see Fastmail in that list, it would appear you are using some other way to access Fastmail. But we have no idea whether you are using a browser and logging into the Fastmail website or using Apple Mail or some other email client app.
    • The reason I keep asking this is that if you are using the Apple Mail app or another email client, there are settings in that email client that could be causing your problems.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2019, 05:53 PM   #23
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I wish I knew how to do a screen shot. And I also wish I knew how to post it.
A fellow forum member FredOnline made a tutorial on how to include a link to an image to a post here on the forum: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...6&postcount=25
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2019, 06:44 PM   #24
noclue

Thanks, Berenburger. I'll check that out. I need to learn how to do some of this stuff. I may or may not be successful...
Old 10 Sep 2019, 10:52 AM   #25
noclue

Got this email from the Big Guns:

This ticket needs some investigation from our senior agents, so I am transferring this to them.
Please note they have other tickets in their queue, but they will respond as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Regards
Vysakh
FastMail Support
Old 19 Sep 2019, 05:16 PM   #26
noclue

I have received one other email other than this one. The first one was all about Amazon; there was no mention of the other vendor email addresses from which I have received no email at all in over a month. I wrote back inquiring about the other missing emails, asking what was causing the problem. I was told to ask a vendor to send an email to the support team. I asked an Etsy vendor to do that for me. After a week, I asked if the support team had received the email from the vendor. This is what I received in answer to that question:

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXX,
This email is from the Fastmail email administrator regarding your email user xxxxxxx@fastmail.fm.
You requested the automatic restoration of the following deleted emails from your account:

[Here is listed all the names of five of my eight folders]

You can find these messages restored into a separate user called:
RESTORED AT 20190918T210925 FOR XXXXXXX@FASTMAIL.FM
which you can access via the web interface or IMAP. These restored folders do not count towards your quota, and will be automatically deleted after one week. Until that time you can copy or move messages into your normal folders (subject to the restrictions of your quota).
If you do not immediately see these folders from the web interface, please refresh your browser tab. In some IMAP clients you will also need to refresh the folder list from the server.

--
Fastmail Team
support@fastmail.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First of all, this message informed me that the problem I was having was from an entirely different email address I have with FM, not the commercial account which IS the problem. I am completely confused. This makes no sense to me. I never asked for anything to be restored; I didn't even know that was possible. The problem email address (which was one of my folders that they listed above) included seven emails. Believe me, there should be way more that seven emails for that acccount that I accrued during the that month.

Suggestions?
Old 19 Sep 2019, 06:02 PM   #27
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Get a gmail account....less problems.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 06:14 PM   #28
noclue

I'm thinking of moving everything to Zoho. It's sad, though. I love FM, and everyone here has been so nice to me.
Something must have changed in the upper echelons of FM. I've have to get a ticket for other problems, and I used to get answers that made sense.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 06:16 PM   #29
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Sadly not the company they were.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 06:18 PM   #30
noclue

Do you have other email accounts?