EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Apr 2002, 03:13 AM   #1
azukre

Fastmail & POP3.

Currently I have the guest account with fastmail.fm
I know you've to pay the one time fee 9.95 to use the pop access, but I don't have any problems using pop3 service.

Why is that?
azukre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Apr 2002, 03:14 AM   #2
sterdeus

Fastmail hasnt implemented the restrictions of having a "guest" account yet. Come April 18th, you will no longer be able to use pop to access fastmail unless you purcahse a full or enhanced account.

Last edited by sterdeus : 6 Apr 2002 at 03:17 AM.
sterdeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2002, 03:25 AM   #3
DBH

Re: Fastmail & POP3.

Quote:
Originally posted by azukre
I know you've to pay the one time fee 9.95 to use the pop access, but I don't have any problems using pop3 service.
Actually, the member account has been increased to $14.95, a one time fee, and even with a member account, you won't be able to get POP access. You'll need to sign up for a full or enhanced account.

Check out the pricing table for more details:
http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/pricingtbl.html
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2002, 03:29 AM   #4
Boom
Essential Contributor

Since when was it been increased? Are there exta features for member level?
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2002, 03:35 AM   #5
Tango
Cornerstone of the Community

Since about April 1st after some recalculation by Jeremy & Rob
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2002, 03:49 AM   #6
guest2k

no extra anything for members, but fastmail is getting populated =P
guest2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2002, 08:14 AM   #7
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

There is an extra actually--members now have access to Kaspersky Anti-virus technology (it's on the Preferences screen).
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2002, 03:20 PM   #8
azukre

Darn, I wanted to upgrade my guest account to member, but I wanna keep on using pop3 instead of IMAP. =(
Old 7 Apr 2002, 03:25 PM   #9
azukre

Also, does POP3 cost more than IMAP to run?
Old 7 Apr 2002, 05:46 PM   #10
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

No. IMAP is a better solution for most people and results in less support issues for us because there are less problems and we can answer 'yes' to more questions, and we just like evangelising the technology. IMAP uses more resources. But when people use POP and find their messages aren't on the server any more they yell at us that their webmail doesn't show their messages any more and we've deleted them etc etc...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2002, 09:00 PM   #11
guest2k

with IMAP, you can still check your mail using email softwares like eudora, outlook express...ect ....why do most people crazy about POP ?
guest2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2002, 11:28 PM   #12
jhs
Essential Contributor

If you only read your email from one computer, and has a slow dial-up connection, then I think POP is much better. Actually if you have no need to read mail from more than one computer I don't really see why you should use IMAP, regardless of your type of connection.
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2002, 11:40 PM   #13
sky

Wink

With IMAP, you can have a folder structure that synchronize with the email server.

And even for a slow connection, IMAP is better than POP since if you got an email with a large attachment, you will be stuck there waiting for it to download while you can have an option to download headers only in IMAP.
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2002, 11:59 PM   #14
jhs
Essential Contributor

If you always access your mail from the same computer their is really no point in keeping your mails on the server, and therefore no need to keep a folder structure there. Just download the mail and keep them on the client.

With POP it is actually also possible only to download headers, but I believe most clients doesn't support it.
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 12:10 AM   #15
Gankaku

Like Pop

I'm with you all that like pop better. I've never had problems losing anything from my server - I've been a user of pop accounts for years...however, I could see that forcing people to use IMAP (or charging more for pop) would be better for the email provider.

For my home machine, I like pop for the simple fact that everything DOES come down and delete off the server. It's in my inbox, I can delete it and it's gone. I don't have to go through the extra step of purging my inbox like I have to do with IMAP, or having to look at all the crossed-out emails because I don't feel like going to Edit, Purge Deleted Messages.......bleck - on something I've already hit the delete key on.

However, when I go back to work, I think I'll more be able to see the advantages of an IMAP account.

Lisa
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote