EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   The Off-Topic Lounge (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Are You "Addicted" to E-Mail? (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=47881)

dragon1 21 Feb 2007 03:12 AM

Are You "Addicted" to E-Mail?

Do you have to check your e-mail more than 3 to 4 times a day?
*raises hand*

Are you unable to resist checking for new mails even while you're on holiday or vacation?
*raises hand* (with qualifier - sometimes)

Having problems sorting through your e-mails or clearing out your accounts?
*raises hand*

An executive coach has devised a 12-step program for e-mail "addicts" to better manage themselves and their e-mail box.

The CNN article

Link to the 12-steps article (also linked within above article)

David 21 Feb 2007 03:17 AM

Re: Are You "Addicted" to E-Mail?

Quote:

Originally posted by dragon1

An executive coach has devised a 12-step program for e-mail "addicts" to better manage themselves and their e-mail box.

I refuse to read it ;)

Bamb0 21 Feb 2007 03:18 AM

Heh same here!!

ReuvenNY 21 Feb 2007 03:23 AM

Addicted and proud of it!:cool:

drew 21 Feb 2007 03:31 AM

To get rid of that email obsession would open up for something worse. Bingo, Poker, to bet on Horses, spiritus or spiritism?

Nah don't want to read that text and AA could be like a drug too.

dragon1 21 Feb 2007 03:42 AM

At least e-mail addiction doesn't make you fat, unless you count sitting in a chair for hours doing nothing butt...

xmailer 21 Feb 2007 03:53 AM

It has always amazed me that there are always exactly 12 steps to recovery from every obsession/compulsion/addiction. It must have some kind of cosmic significance.

I wonder if anyone has as yet figured out what the 12 steps are for recovery from the compulsion of thinking up 12-step programs for recovery?

ReuvenNY 21 Feb 2007 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by xmailer
It has always amazed me that there are always exactly 12 steps to recovery from every obsession/compulsion/addiction. It must have some kind of cosmic significance.

I wonder if anyone has as yet figured out what the 12 steps are for recovery from the compulsion of thinking up 12-step programs for recovery?

Sure:

1. Get an email account
2. Get another email account
3. Get another email account
4. Get another email account
5. Get another email account
6. Get another email account
7. Get another email account
8. Get another email account
9. Get another email account
10. Get another email account
11. Get another email account
12. Use them all and reach nirvana:D

SusanUKF 21 Feb 2007 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ReuvenNY
Sure:

1. Get an email account

Very good one, Reuven :) and very applicable to myself as well. I am an email junkie for sure; and an EMDaholic too!

:D Susan.

dragon1 21 Feb 2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

The original 12 step program comes from AA, its founders basing their program on spiritual (as well as psychological) teachings. You can infer from that the basis for using the number 12. Other groups copied AA's 12 steps, and this executive coach obviously modified that as well to suit her subject matter.

I like Reuven's 12 step program :D

David 21 Feb 2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

I like Reuven's 12 step program :D

Surely it will lead us all toward a new freedom and a new hope :cool:

sterdeus 21 Feb 2007 10:33 AM

thanks dragon1, I needed that. Yes, first step is to admit I have a problem. I see many of you refuse to take that step!:rolleyes:

drew 21 Feb 2007 07:10 PM

Hehe,

I certainly do admit me have a problem. I even reactivated my inbox.com account today, very kind of them to not delete it because of my inactivity for some 6 month or so.

My fastmail was deactivated though cause me not likely will ever pay for email services unless gmail, yahoo, aim goes down the drain. I've skipped pilu and zworg and loftmail so even if me have great problem to stop me from signing up to new ones sometimes I manage to end not so happy email relations. :)

The big problem is to leave the puter alone. Emails is only one problem within the spectrum, boards and forum participation is another, me lucky for not get into games and chat and such very contagious habits. Chat is like hard drugs while emails is soft drugs.

Gankaku 21 Feb 2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ReuvenNY
Sure:

1. Get an email account

heeheehee ;) That's us!

Chipper 21 Feb 2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

I think that the original 12 steps (either by design or it just worked out that way) were "generic enough" that they could be adapted to other programs. Having said that, I know of one organization that has a number that is not 12. Out of curiousity I searched on "10 step recovery," "14 step recovery" and "15 step recovery." Although some of the search results were tongue in cheek, it looks like there are some programs that have a different number.