EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   The Off-Topic Lounge (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   LastPass free users now stuck with a tough choice (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=78511)

janusz 17 Feb 2021 03:25 PM

LastPass free users now stuck with a tough choice

From the LastPass blog:
Quote:

Starting March 16th, 2021, LastPass Free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type. To clarify what we mean by active device type, we’ve included two examples below:
  • Sarah is a Free user with Computers as her active device type. She can use LastPass on her laptop, desktop and her dad’s laptop (anyone’s computer!), but she can’t use LastPass on her phone, tablet, or smart watch unless she upgrades to LastPass Premium, which has unlimited device type access.
  • Steve is a Free user with Mobile Devices as his active device type. He can use LastPass on his iPhone, Android work phone, tablet, and smart watch, but he can’t use LastPass on his desktop or laptop unless he upgrades to LastPass Premium, which has unlimited device type access.
As a Free user, your first login on or after March 16th will set your active device type. You’ll have three opportunities to switch your active device type to explore what’s right for you.

In addition to this change, as of May 17th, 2021, email support will only be available for Premium and Families customers.

As a current Free user, you can upgrade to Premium now for an exclusive, limited time discount and receive Premium for $2.25 per month (billed annually).
The regular price is $3 per month (billed annually). BTW, the link to the discounted price offer is broken as of now (7:20 UTC, 17 Feb.): "Sorry, we're having some issues. Our Engineers are working toward the solution"

TenFour 17 Feb 2021 07:45 PM

I've been using Bitwarden for several years and like it. The free version is quite good, but I do pay $10 per year for the Premium version which adds a few features. I moved away from LastPass a long time ago.

chrisretusn 17 Feb 2021 09:24 PM

Wow, that will put a crimp on LastPass free users I suspect.

I am a KeePass user.

n5bb 18 Feb 2021 03:59 AM

I have used SplashID password manager for many years. I upgraded to a lifetime account in 2013 (7.5 years ago) for US $30. If I had paid $3/month for 7.5 years, I would have spent $270 over that interval. So the SplashData lifetime SplashID account has been a good investment for me! I use it every day across multiple PC's, iOS devices, and an Android device. I can also access my many saved records using a web browser.

Bill

curvefan 18 Feb 2021 09:59 AM

Looks like I just became a paying member of LastPass.

Well, as they say nothing free truly lasts forever.

I had a feeling this day would come.

I've been using LastPass for many years and I'm not gonna change now to save a few bucks.

So, I'm in......

somdcomputerguy 18 Feb 2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curvefan (Post 620098)
I've been using LastPass for many years and I'm not gonna change now to save a few bucks.

No offense but I think that is exactly the 'market' they are seeking. From a business POV it makes perfect sense. But, there's always a but..

- Bruce

TenFour 18 Feb 2021 07:25 PM

Personally, there are just too many good alternatives to LastPass to make me feel that paying a subscription of $3 a month is worth it. I currently use Bitwarden Premium which is $10 per year, but I could do just fine with the free version. But, I've used KeyPass in the past and it is open source and completely free, and would be perfectly fine too. I really, really hate subscriptions and will only use them for mission-critical things. But, on the other hand, your mission-critical items may vary.

FredOnline 18 Feb 2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFour (Post 620105)
I've used KeyPass in the past and it is open source and completely free, and would be perfectly fine too.

I've been using Enpass for a few years, but have recently rediscovered KeepassXC, their browser extensions seem to have improved and are easy to use, plus I can store my database in the online file storage of one of my e-mail providers.

curvefan 18 Feb 2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy (Post 620100)
No offense but I think that is exactly the 'market' they are seeking. From a business POV it makes perfect sense. But, there's always a but..

- Bruce

But! You could also lose a lot of free customers, "but", if they're not paying you won't stay in business that long unless you do something such as this. Free doesn't pay the bills.

I realize there are wonderful free alternatives, and I've tried a few "but", always go back to LastPass. I just found it easier to use. Probably just me?

I actually felt a little guilty using their free service since it was so good but that feeling soon went away. LOL!!!

Anyways, I'm not a paid spokesman for LastPass, just a satisfied customer, "but".......

janusz 18 Feb 2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n5bb (Post 620092)
I have used SplashID password manager for many years. I upgraded to a lifetime account in 2013 (7.5 years ago) for US $30.

Why didn't you tell us 7.5 years ago?:D

n5bb 18 Feb 2021 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janusz (Post 620108)
Why didn't you tell us 7.5 years ago?:D

A search on this forum finds that I posted about SplashID at least ten times starting in 2012. But I believe this is the first time I have mentioned their lifetime accounts. Sorry about that! :rolleyes:

janusz 18 Feb 2021 11:28 PM

You are forgiven ..... :D:D

Gankaku 17 Mar 2021 02:40 AM

I've been using KeePass for years now. It's free, but I think you can donate.

There is more in there than one could ever need. It's got a lot of bells and whistles if you want to dig in.

One thing I love about it is there are a lot of plugins (for your special needs!). I use one called KeeTheme and it's a dark mode theme. It works well and is regularly updated. It's necessary that I use dark themes and dark mode everywhere now. If KeePass didn't have it, I could not use it.

I also love that you can sync via webdav. I have the app on two devices and on my computer. I haven't had any syncing issues since I started using it, nor loss of data.

I don't know that there's a reason to pay when there are free tools to which you can donate whenever you feel like donating in whatever amount. When I saw this article originally and also people fussing on Reddit about the changes with LastPass, I think they must not know much about KeePass.

somdcomputerguy 17 Mar 2021 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gankaku (Post 620425)
I've been using KeePass for years now. It's free, but I think you can donate.

It's got a lot of bells and whistles if you want to dig in.

I use one called KeeTheme and it's a dark mode theme. It works well and is regularly updated. It's necessary that I use dark themes and dark mode everywhere now. If KeePass didn't have it, I could not use it.

One can donate. I have more than once over the past couple decades. I use the KeeTheme plug-in as well, for exactly the reasons you do. I was recently looking out of curiosity at another package called passbolt. I stopped research and lost any interest when I discovered that the 'free' version does not have a 'dark mode' theme but the paid version does.

I think the UI is browser based, so modifying the display wouldn't be trouble for me, but then my morals kicked in and I made another donation (first one this year!) to Dominik and I will continue to use his KeePass program.

- Bruce

Gankaku 17 Mar 2021 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy (Post 620426)
One can donate. I have more than once over the past couple decades. I use the KeeTheme plug-in as well, for exactly the reasons you do. I was recently looking out of curiosity at another package called passbolt. I stopped research and lost any interest when I discovered that the 'free' version does not have a 'dark mode' theme but the paid version does.

I think the UI is browser based, so modifying the display wouldn't be trouble for me, but then my morals kicked in and I made another donation (first one this year!) to Dominick and I will continue to use his KeePass program.

- Bruce

Yeah I don't have enough money to donate right now, but I hope to do so again very soon. It's one of my most important apps.

I'm a loudmouth when it comes to dark mode. If an app won't implement dark mode in the free version, I stop trying it immediately, and I let the dev know why, very openly and loudly! I'm not the only one who has eye issues, and dark mode is a necessity, not a "cool option luxury". I actually was the one who was the big mouth who mentioned on their forum about needing a dark theme for KeePass. The dev of KeeTheme told me much later that my post was why he developed it. It's really important to know that not everyone can tolerate a glaring white background. If they care, they'll do something about it. KeePass folks cared abut my eyes and yours, so I tout it as much as possible.

digp 18 Mar 2021 01:12 AM

Has anyone managed to get keepass to work with dropbox or similar to sync across devices like 1password, have tried several times in the past but it just breaks, it's not a real sync

chrisretusn 18 Mar 2021 06:07 PM

I've donated to KeePass in the past. Great product. I also use KeePass2Andriod on my cell phone. I donated to that was well.

FredOnline 26 Mar 2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gankaku (Post 620425)
I've been using KeePass for years now.

There is more in there than one could ever need. It's got a lot of bells and whistles if you want to dig in.

One thing I love about it is there are a lot of plugins (for your special needs!). I use one called KeeTheme and it's a dark mode theme. It works well and is regularly updated. It's necessary that I use dark themes and dark mode everywhere now. If KeePass didn't have it, I could not use it.

I would be interested to learn what plugins and settings you use, since you've used Keepass for quite a while.

I've tried the KeeTheme plugin, it's not too bad, but I feel there's not enough contrast between the normal text and URL links. It would be good if there was some way to change the color of the URL links, to, say, a lime green. That may look better against a darker background.

I had attempted to set up backups, using the trigger option, but couldn't get it to work for me - just nothing happened.

However, I've added the KPSimpleBackup plugin, and that's working ok. :)

janusz 26 Mar 2021 04:21 PM

I've switched to Bitwarden. I'm not overenthusiastic, but can live with it.

somdcomputerguy 28 Mar 2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digp (Post 620451)
Has anyone managed to get keepass to work with dropbox or similar to sync across devices like 1password?

I u/l a copy of the .kbdx file, usually via FTP. So that file is now one of my backups and also one that I can d/l however I can to where I need it. This is all done manually and is not truly a sync, but this process has never sunk for me :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 620530)
I would be interested to learn what plugins and settings you use, since you've used Keepass for quite a while.

I've tried the KeeTheme plugin, it's not too bad, but I feel there's not enough contrast between the normal text and URL links. It would be good if there was some way to change the color of the URL links, to, say, a lime green. That may look better against a darker background.

I had attempted to set up backups, using the trigger option, but couldn't get it to work for me - just nothing happened.

However, I've added the KPSimpleBackup plugin, and that's working ok. :)

I have used KeePass for quite some time as well. Here are the plugins I use and the ones of those I appreciate a lot.
  1. AlternateAutoType
  2. KeePassQuickUnlock
  3. KeeTheme
  4. ReadablePassphrase
  5. YetAnotherFaviconDownloader
I find the first three to be very useful but I do use the other two as well. If only one plugin could be used, I would certainly opt to use the KeeTheme one. I don't have a problem with my display of text and link text. Then you said you had an issue with the link text and the background color. Color choices can be made for each of those, plus more if wanted, elements. The 'KeeTheme theme' I'm using makes the whole KeePass GUI background kinda dark, with off-white text and blue link text. I usually have the iconized toolbar turned off too.

- Bruce

FredOnline 28 Mar 2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy (Post 620550)
I have used KeePass for quite some time as well. Here are the plugins I use and the ones of those I appreciate a lot.

I've had a look at the plugins you are using, the QuickUnlock looked interesting, but after reading up on the plugin, it seems if you already have an existing key file, you have to browse/select that key file each time you open the database, as the QuickUnlock overrides that?

So using that plugin, it would seem to lengthen the login process, unless I'm misunderstanding it.

I initially thought that QuickUnlock would be something like, if you've already opened a database, and it locks after X minutes. To be able to enter just a pin number to unlock that database. It's not like that.

Keetheme I already have, but it's limited configuration is disappointing.

The Favicon plugin is nice, to get favicons for the entries, although it does make the database file size larger. It also retains the favicons if you open the database on a different computer, that does not have the Favicon plugin installed.

somdcomputerguy 30 Mar 2021 03:20 AM

I find the quick unlock plugin to be just as useful as the KeeTheme one, which seems to me to be more configurable than I need. I don't use a key file, so I don't know how that and the plugin interact. It's just a lot more convenient (although slightly riskier, technically) for me to enter an 8 character 'pass phrase' to unlock the database rather than its' 24 character master pass phrase at least a half dozen times a day. I use the favicon plugin almost only for aesthetics, although it does sometimes make 'spotting' a particular entry easier.

- Bruce

FredOnline 13 Apr 2021 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy (Post 620426)
I use the KeeTheme plug-in as well

Bruce,

I recall that you use the Pale Moon browser, are you still using it?

Does this browser have plug-ins for Keepass?

somdcomputerguy 13 Apr 2021 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 620682)
Does this browser have plug-ins for Keepass?

If you mean 'auto form fill' type plug-ins, no. Pale Moon isn't chromed or exploded enough to use those types of plug-ins. :rolleyes:

- Bruce

eta: I think of the Pale Moon browser as one in which every extension or plug-in works, except for the ones that are designed to work in only one or a very few types of browser.

FredOnline 13 Apr 2021 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy (Post 620683)
If you mean 'auto form fill' type plug-ins, no.

Recently, Firefox has become ultra slow (for me anyway) when opening up - once open after a few minutes, it starts to speed up. I thought perhaps Pale Moon would be better, but if no Keepass plug-ins, then I'll pass.

Finding myself using the new Edge browser in preference to Chrome, it's quick (for me anyway) and has the Keepass plug-ins.

somdcomputerguy 13 Apr 2021 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 620684)
Recently, Firefox has become ultra slow (for me anyway) when opening up - once open after a few minutes, it starts to speed up. I thought perhaps Pale Moon would be better, but if no Keepass plug-ins, then I'll pass.

Finding myself using the new Edge browser in preference to Chrome, it's quick (for me anyway) and has the Keepass plug-ins.

Actually I started using Pale Moon because Firefox (the browser I used to use) was becoming slower and slower, especially at start. I could use all the Firefox plug-ins I had come to rely on and that made the switch even easier.

I use MS Edge on occasion also. More frequently now I've noticed that I use it more because I want to, rather than have to.

As far as any type of auto fill anything, I don't like that process so I don't need any plug-ins or extensions to do it for me.

- Bruce

FredOnline 13 Apr 2021 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy (Post 620685)
As far as any type of auto fill anything, I don't like that process so I don't need any plug-ins or extensions to do it for me.

So how do you use Keepass, is it copy/paste, or drag to the field?

popowich 13 Apr 2021 05:32 AM

> Actually I started using Pale Moon because Firefox (the browser I used to use) was becoming slower and slower, especially at start.

Firefox defaults to DoH now for DNS. Try turning that off and see if it speeds up:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...#39;%20queries.

somdcomputerguy 13 Apr 2021 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 620686)
So how do you use Keepass, is it copy/paste, or drag to the field?

Almost always Auto-Type, a built-in function of KeePass. Occasionally, I have a small dish of copypasta.. ;)

FredOnline 13 Apr 2021 05:35 AM

I've just downloaded Pale Moon, I'll give it a go! :)

somdcomputerguy 13 Apr 2021 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popowich (Post 620687)
Firefox defaults to DoH now for DNS. Try turning that off and see if it speeds up:

Thanks for that information. However I have no interest in using the Firefox browser or any Mozilla product at all. I even stopped using Thunderbird 5 or 6 years ago.

- Bruce

somdcomputerguy 13 Apr 2021 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 620689)
I've just downloaded Pale Moon, I'll give it a go! :)

Cool Beans. Lemme know if you conjure a question or three.

- Bruce

FredOnline 13 Apr 2021 05:50 AM

First thing I've done is find an ad blocker, Adblock Latitude is the first one that popped up!

What are you using instead of Thunderbird?

I guess I've just got used to it, it works well for me.

somdcomputerguy 13 Apr 2021 06:04 AM

I use the uBO ad blocker as well as ABL.

For a while after I stopped using Mozilla products, I probably tried several different email client programs. In fact, I know I did, I don't remember exactly how many or which ones though. The Bat! comes to mind if I try to focus on that very gray cloud list.. I just used my browser and the mail services webmail. Some smallish number of years ago I started using interlink/ for an email client.

somdcomputerguy 5 May 2021 09:32 PM

In the interest in keeping a thread alive and slightly off-rail, and maybe even providing some information that may be useful/informative for anyone, let me say that another use I have for KeePass is as a 'bookmark manager'. There are site URLs that are present only in my database, not in any 'browser bookmark list'. I 'surf' to a particular site, like my bank for ie., then use the user/pass info to log into that particular site. I don't use any 'auto form fill and submit' type plugins, just the applications' Auto-Type hotkey or menu entry/button, before or after I simply make sure the first field (usually a username) has focus.

- Bruce

FredOnline 5 May 2021 09:47 PM

Yes, KeePass is not just useful as a password manager.

Do you remember Cardfile?

I also use KeePass as my cardfile, keeping useful information, tips on how to do things, etc.

somdcomputerguy 5 May 2021 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 621064)
Do you remember Cardfile?

No, I'm not familiar with that application. I also use KeePass to 'store' additional information.

- Bruce

TenFour 5 May 2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

In the interest in keeping a thread alive and slightly off-rail, and maybe even providing some information that may be useful/informative for anyone, let me say that another use I have for KeePass is as a 'bookmark manager'. There are site URLs that are present only in my database, not in any 'browser bookmark list'.
This is really easy to do with most dedicated password managers. I do this with Bitwarden. You can store the URL for say your bank login page and just launch it from within Bitwarden. I also have it set so that it doesn't automatically fill in credentials for me, but it does have an extension that will let me know if there is a stored username/password for a particular site. There's also a place for Notes with each password, and I use this for storing all sorts of information for particular sites. Stuff like the answers to security questions, instructions for using the site, notes from the last time I used it, etc.

somdcomputerguy 5 May 2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFour (Post 621066)
This is really easy to do with most dedicated password managers.

Yes, something that I find very useful in KeePass is available in many other password managers as well.

- Bruce

Gankaku 17 May 2021 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digp (Post 620451)
Has anyone managed to get keepass to work with dropbox or similar to sync across devices like 1password, have tried several times in the past but it just breaks, it's not a real sync

I have mine on webdav. If you have a webdav server like on Fastmail and need help let me know.