EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   The Technical Zone... (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   MX Records (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72057)

CyberDyne 23 Aug 2016 04:32 AM

MX Records

Can multiple targets be used in MX records as a backup so that copies of all emails arrive at both destinations ?

ie:

server-name1.service1.fu
server-name2.service1.fu
server-name1.service2.fu
server-name2.service2.fu

Thanks in advance

janusz 23 Aug 2016 05:35 AM

No. Once a successful connection is made to one of the MX sites, no further deliveries are made.

CyberDyne 23 Aug 2016 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janusz (Post 596432)
No. Once a successful connection is made to one of the MX sites, no further deliveries are made.

Understood. Thanks Janusz

popowich 26 Aug 2016 12:21 PM

No, BUT, there is nothing stopping you from creating a service behind an MX record that routes copies of email to two or more "internal" destinations.

CyberDyne 26 Aug 2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popowich (Post 596589)
No, BUT, there is nothing stopping you from creating a service behind an MX record that routes copies of email to two or more "internal" destinations.

Are you referring to services such as PoBox ? (which I just ditched as I couldn't justify spending on PoBox and FM). The

n5bb 27 Aug 2016 04:49 PM

You can set any alias at a Fastmail account to target one or more external email addresses. So you could set an alias to deliver to both your Fastmail account and several external email accounts.

But as pointed out before, a sending server only delivers an individual outgoing message once. If you want to get a message delivered to several destination servers, the only ways are:
  • The sender addresses the message to multiple destination addresses which are hosted on different servers.
  • The initial destination server forwards the message in some manner to several external accounts.
Bill

CyberDyne 27 Aug 2016 09:20 PM

Thanks for your reply Bill. I'm aware of the facts you mentioned. I originally relied on FM alone until the infamous downtime issues we all experienced. I then decided to bundle all my eggs into PoBox's basket as they seemed more reliable at the time. However, with the recent acquisition, I'm now unfortunately less confident in that fact and cannot justify paying for both services.

I'm interested to know what specific services popowich was thinking of?

janusz 27 Aug 2016 11:20 PM

Of course I cannot speak for popowich but "mass forwarding to multiple addresses" is supported by quite a few email providers discussed here: Pobox, Fastmail, Runbox, EuMX &c.

BTW, a similar functionality is provided by most, if not all, domain registrars.

popowich 28 Aug 2016 04:27 AM

In that moment I had in mind that it's one of a few possible ways to handle some DR and business continuity types of requirements for incoming email since that's what the OP seemed to be leaning toward.