EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   The Off-Topic Lounge (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Melodic Morse (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=16772)

robert@fm 30 Oct 2003 02:20 AM

Melodic Morse

I've heard of four tunes with Morse-code messages hidden in their rhythms. :) All are unconfirmed but plausible (to me anyway);).
  1. The theme tune from Inspector Morse (what else;)) encodes something (probably MORSE).
  2. The theme from Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em (the classic BBC sitcom starring Michael Crawford and Michele Dotrice) encodes its own title.
  3. A guitar solo from Amarok (the last album Mike Oldfield recorded for Virgin Records) has a message to Richard Branson which can't be mentioned here due to Forum rules. :D
  4. YYZ by Rush contains the Morse for YYZ, the international abbreviation (and beacon pattern) for Toronto Airport, which is their home airport.

Anyone know any more?  Or any other Easter Eggs in tunes, software or wherever?

(Please don't tell me about the Wolfsites; I've learned the hard way that they have tabloid ethics, i.e. as long as it's sensational who cares if it's true.  I gave up on all three sites long ago.)

robert@fm 29 Nov 2003 03:55 AM

I don't know about "YYZ", but the Rush track of that name certainly contains plenty of Ys (- · - -).  So it's feasible...

(Z is - - · ·)

robert@fm 19 Apr 2005 04:32 AM

The title song from Radiooactivity by Kraftwerk contains lots of Morse; I think one word is KRAFTWERK, but I have no idea about the others...

Chipper 19 Apr 2005 04:41 AM

I know there is a song "Morse Code of Love" by the Capris but the lyrics of the song are actual morse code.

rmns2bseen 19 Apr 2005 06:09 AM

nobody mentioned the most famous...the DUM DUM DUM DUMMMMM beginning of Beethoven's 5th Symphony, which is the letter "V" (for victory?) in Morse... (ok ok I know that Beethoven came way before Morse code but still... :D )

(edited) and yeah, before anybody catches it...I'm well aware that Beethoven was German and that therefore it would be "der Sieg" and not "victory" to him :D I think I read somewhere that the theme of the Fifth Symphony became a sort of underground "cheer" among Nazi- conquered populations in Europe during WWII.

Chipper 19 Apr 2005 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rmns2bseen
nobody mentioned the most famous...the DUM DUM DUM DUMMMMM beginning of Beethoven's 5th Symphony, which is the letter "V" (for victory?) in Morse... (ok ok I know that Beethoven came way before Morse code but still... :D )
But perhaps Morse chose to assign ...- to the letter V due to Beethoven's 5th.

Chipper 19 Apr 2005 06:14 AM

I just remembered something else — but I'm not sure if I have a copy of Police's Synchronicity — is there any Morse Code in "Sending Out an S.O.S.?" (Is that the actual title of the song?)

rmns2bseen 19 Apr 2005 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chipper
But perhaps Morse chose to assign ...- to the letter V due to Beethoven's 5th.
maybe... *strokes chin* :confused: :D

robert@fm 19 Apr 2005 06:22 AM

Quote:

But perhaps Morse chose to assign ···– to the letter V due to Beethoven's 5th.
I think that as well... if not, it's quite a coincidence...

Quote:

I just remembered something else — but I'm not sure if I have a copy of Police's Synchronicity — is there any Morse Code in "Sending Out an S.O.S.?" (Is that the actual title of the song?)
I take it you're referring to an album called "Synchronicity" (I'm not sure of the Police album titles, I only have Message in a Box); if not, then do you mean Synchronicity I or Synchronicity II? ;)

The song title you're thinking of is Message in a Bottle, and I don't think there's any Morse in the tune (although the lyric "I'll send an SOS to the world" has approximately the rhythm OOS, but this may have been accidental)...

DrStrabismus 20 Apr 2005 04:46 AM

The opening of Beethovens 5th is a fate motif, not victory, so it seems unlikely that morse would have assigned V for that reason.

ROBERT.BAK 20 Apr 2005 04:51 AM

^ The hypothesis (on my part anyway) is that the Roman numeral for 5 is V, hence as Beethoven's 5th has the very distinctive "···–" as its first bar, Morse assigned this pattern to V for that reason.

Incidentally, the usual spelling in music is "motiv" (the German spelling, still pronounced "motif")...

DrStrabismus 20 Apr 2005 05:50 AM

Actually, my copy of the COED gives motif as the only correct spelling, but are we going to start picking up spelling mistakes :rolleyes:

DrStrabismus 20 Apr 2005 06:04 AM

I saw Oliver Postgate on TV recently and he told a funny story about the clanger's scripted whistling noises. Part of it is here
but he went on to say that when they later produced the clanger toys, they had them say that line when you squeeze them.

rmns2bseen 20 Apr 2005 06:09 AM

"motif" is French, "motiv" the same word with a German flavor (as in the Wagnerian "leitmotiv"). We can use the word "theme" to mean much the same thing ;)

trew 20 Apr 2005 04:28 PM

Our Public Service had a rule to not use such music containing ... --- ... on their shortwave transmissions due to risk of rescue operation being charged on them for sending it.

Not sure of if this still apply. several goups use SOS in morse as a dramatic message in their songs.

trew

PS I failed to learn morse or CW as we name it. I coudl ahve been a HAM radio operator. :o