View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 2021, 08:08 AM   #8
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwolk View Post
As all Tuffmail refugees, I am nervously looking for a replacement service for my 100+ domains.
For many years, email forwarding at registrar or DNS level has been an unreliable solution, usually not recommended. Have things changed? - I am thinking in particular of hosting the DNS at cloudns.net or porkbun.com and forwarding the emails from there. Their forwarding services have been reliable so far for me, after having tested them for a few years on several lesser important domains.

So, what's the general feeling here among you all email gurus? Forwarding: yay or nay?
Nay. The situation is still not good, though I do use forwarding for one particular purpose.

Most forwarders, though not all, are getting pretty good at not ruining DKIM on the forward, so a sender who requests discarding an email if DMARC breaks normally gets his email through if he uses DKIM as well as SPF. However, I have a couple of correspondents (with a mid-size company) whose DMARC requests rejection but only use SPF, no DKIM. Such email cannot be forwarded to a receiver who obeys the reject command, such as Google. In my case, I have it forwarded to Fastmail, which is able to receive it anyway. Fastmail used to have a "trusted forwarder" capability, though I have not looked to see whether it is still there.

ARC is supposed to solve some of the forwarding problems, but I don't know to what extent it works for various receivers, and of course it would depend on whether the forwarding server puts their stamp on things. Google, Microsoft and Fastmail do, which are all I am using at present.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote