View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2021, 07:09 PM   #10
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Fastmail's file storage was originally added to facilitate email, back when most services supported only very small attachments (some did not support attachments at all) and bandwidth usage was limited (one would purchase extra bandwidth when needed). I don't think it was ever intended to act as someone's main data storage. Features were added when they seemed useful.
Fastmail's storage has some useful functionality not found on services like Dropbox or drive. like being able to create small websites on the fly by mapping an arbitrary URL to any folder. Like anonymous upload in such a website. Like FTP and Webdav access. I have created a password protected website to allow myself to upload files for myself from places where I'd rather not use my login credentials for any general purpose service I use (like my email, my dropbox account etc.)
One thing I would like to see added id a way to synchronize specific file storage folders with specific dropbox folders. That would allow maintaining a small website on Fastmail using Dropbox, and they already have some integration with Dropbox, so why not add some functionality that would make the file storage facility more useful?
BTW, a few days ago I uploaded a 150MB file to the file storage (using Webdav). I had no problem uploading or downloading it, except tah it takes a long time. Dropbox has the advantage that it uploads/downloads in the background, and probably updates by transferring only the difference between old and new files and not replacing the whole file each time.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote