View Single Post
Old 3 Aug 2021, 01:05 PM   #5
markwolk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
is forwarding "at DNS level" anything other than changing a domain's MX records to point wherever you choose?
If you point the Mx record of your domain example.com to one email service (e.g. Runbox), it will push all mail to that one email service. Then, you only have the filters to sort out what to do with john@example.com , mary@example.com , family@example.com , visitors@example.com , etc. And the filters' powers are limited.

If you point the Mx record of your domain example.com to cloudns.net or porkbun.com , then their interfaces allow you to forward each address to one or several addresses of your choice, and this offers many more possibilities and redundancy, e.g.:

john@example.com -> john's address @gmail
john@example.com -> john's address @hotmail
john@example.com -> john's address @runbox

mary@example.com -> mary's address @aol
mary@example.com -> john's address @gmail

family@example.com -> all of the above

etc.

Impossible to achieve with filters. (Possible with Tuffmail's Manager.)

Not all registrars or DNS hosting companies offer that service. Some offer it partly (e.g. they allow you to forward john@example.com only to one address). In the past, I had used that service with another registrar, and found it unreliable (it stopped working from time to time, and when I finally realised that emails were no longer being forwarded, support was asking me to change some obscure setting in their interface).

A vanity domain is a domain that redirects to another to allow for common misspellings or paronyms. wikipedia.com and wikipedia.net are vanity domains of wikipedia.org.

Having tested cloudns.net for several years, and having found them reliable, with 24h chat support, I am going to go ahead and use their "Mail forwards" for most of my domains. Porkbun will be my second choice; they are a bit younger, but really astounding; however I don't think they have a standalone DNS hosting service - you need to move your domain's registration to them in order to use the DNS.
markwolk is offline   Reply With Quote