Thread: .tel
View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2009, 07:17 AM   #14
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlane View Post
Vans, at least one directory is planned by Telnic. It's at www.telpages.com and should start working soon after Feb 25th when all current .TEL names start resolving in the whois. Personally, I'm more interested in being able to give out my .TEL as a business card to people I know. Whereas my competitor may give a prospect a mobile phone number, I give them a shorter, simpler 'token': my .TEL name. It's easier for them and instead of just my phone number, they get all of my contact information and the guarantee it will never be out of date. Hopefully a few people will give me theirs and my days of updating my address book start coming to an end.

.TEL names are hierarichal, so you can use business names for individuals or individual names for business. For example you can have johndoe.xyzcorp.tel and janesmith.xyzcorp.tel, but you could also set up your own personal .tel to include your business info as in xyzcorp.janesmith.tel. Setting up these sub-domains is very easy with the administrative interface presenting sub-domains as sub-folders. You can set up a free demo .TEL and try in out at www.telnic.org/vip.
There is nothing that you explained above that can't already be accomplished.... or being accomplished right now.

It seems you are bitten with the same bug I had back in 2001 or so when some of the "new" tlds came out then... I learned the hard way... or should I say, the fun way... lol

In the short, these new tlds are not going to be hot... give them 200 years or so and maybe they will... but then we will have moved on to something else... lol

But I also notice no mention of ."company" either... that is what companies may use for their people... For example, if I worked for microsoft and my name was JohnDoe, then my url would be:

JohnDoe.Microsoft

So the company (or personal, if you can afford it) name replaces the tld....

Going to be interesting to see how all of this shakes out... personally I see many tlds going under before it is all over... but that is a guess way in the future.... but who knows....
theog is offline   Reply With Quote