View Single Post
Old 10 Mar 2020, 07:41 PM   #7
M4rk4y

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockwood View Post
I'm glad I'm not going mad - I was thinking it was a setting I had in my browser.

The new fonts that are there today are awful. They look blurry (I even checked my screen resolution, thinking I'd done something there).

Can they revert to what they were?
Yes, I agree, very blurry. Also far too black (I suppose I mean the letter occupies too much of its rectangular area... strokes too thick?) and squished (vertical-to-horizontal ratio is too small).

Edit: really it's just the bold font that's too black and squishy (and the letters are really too close together consequently which contributes to the blurry impression... this stuff ought to be really easy to get right: surely FM have a dedicated person or team who are experts in font legibility? And they ought not to roll out such drastic changes without beta testing. When I think of the hoops that I have to jump through to change one little label...). The normal font is just a bit plain. But I still mourn the loss of decent display options like font choice.

Also did the folder list always have the icons? I don't remember them but maybe that's just the new font making them look far too much in your face. I don't need icons to tell me that I'm looking at a list of folders, so an option to turn them off would be nice (don't tell me, there was one but they removed that too?)

The general dumbing down of interfaces seems (IMHO) to be an effort to make the interface look much the same on all device types (phone/tablet/computer) which is just lazy and wasteful of the extra capabilities of different input devices. It's not just Fastmail doing this of course; Microsoft is a major offender with Windows 10.

Last edited by M4rk4y : 10 Mar 2020 at 07:50 PM.
M4rk4y is offline   Reply With Quote