View Single Post
Old 7 Jun 2021, 03:42 AM   #19
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
...it's also surrendering IMO to the larger issues, political and otherwise, that set the background and framework of why the situation is the way that it is.
It has nothing to do with politics. Google and the others want to target ads to you and they do so by gathering information about your online activity. That's how they make billions of dollars and one reason we have free Gmail and a lot of other free stuff. We made a bargain that in exchange for this great free stuff, that in many cases is far superior to stuff people pay for, we have ads targeted at us. I am not some sheeple that just buys stuff based on ads. I use ad blockers, I have Gmail set up so I don't see ads in my inbox, and I make informed purchase decisions based on lots of other information. Here's one good article on what this is really about if people would take off the tinfoil hats for a moment: https://www.computerworld.com/articl...questions.html

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if using ProtonMail makes you more vulnerable in some ways to snooping. It certainly paints a red marker on you that you are someone who is worried about your privacy and I suspect major governments have ways of getting at your emails if they want to. Since I doubt you are doing anything nefarious it is not a big worry, but I do wonder how good security really is at some of these small, supposed privacy-oriented email providers. Companies like Google spend a lot of money and have lots of people protecting you from the things you really need to worry about--someone simply breaking in and stealing all your stuff due to some security error or a mistake you make yourself like responding to a phishing attack.

Last edited by TenFour : 7 Jun 2021 at 03:48 AM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote