View Single Post
Old 7 Jun 2021, 12:05 AM   #15
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemagic View Post
Personally I have bad experience dealing with the support especially Billing.
ProtonMail support is not exactly the best, I will agree there. For me, it's been very slow sometimes, but at least competent. For the most part, the service works well and so most people will never deal with support.

I actually like Tutanota a little more, even though they had a very rough time with DDOS attacks. They have come out of it doing much better now, and their price is still good. They're still going through growing pains, IMO, so they are not quite running perfectly smoothly yet, but I have come to like them again after their DDOS mess.

There are other good alternatives to ProtonMail too that are worth looking at besides Tutanota, including Mailfence, Startmail, Mailbox.org, Posteo, Countermail, CTemplar, and yes, I'll even mention Hushmail, although Hushmail still gets a bad rap due to some of their issues/controversies in the past, and they obviously have the worst jurisdiction of that group. But Hushmail might be a good option for someone who needs/wants HIPAA compliant email and doesn't mind the jurisdiction. It depends on your needs.

Runbox is also a possibility if you use the Mailvelope plugin, as well as FastMail, although Runbox has a better jurisdiction by far. And technically any provider will work with PGP if you know how to set it up. But I'd suggest that list above as a starting point.

But again, ProtonMail is a decent option. Frankly, those kinds of privacy services that are at least trying to fight for our privacy are worth support. If you can, sign up for more than one of them! Give one as a gift! Tutanota even has an easy gift option for your friends and family!
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote