View Single Post
Old 13 Mar 2024, 08:11 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
They found and killed Bin Laden, who was off the grid and not using any technology in order not to be tracked.
That's not really a suitable example. Billions were spent tracking Bin Laden's and similar organizations, and although he was avoiding any kind of communications technology, and so were the people close to him, others in his organizations had to use them and could be tracked.
One can do a lot to stay away from surveillance by the big companies, but theirs a price to pay of social isolation. I stay of anything related to Meta, but it means that I am not being informed of things happening in my family (unless my wife thinks it's important enough to inform me) and about many things at work (unless someone thinks of personally informing me by email or sms) because the norm in my country is that everyone is expected to have WhatsApp. One of my coleages doesn't have a smartphone (on principle) and it means that he cannot access some of the systems needed to do his work. We have to do find some workarounds for him (and when there are none he uses his wife's phone).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote